Voyageurs Cup Contributors Web Page

List of people/organizations who contributed to the founding of the Voyageurs Cup in 2002.

Full Names

1. Tyler Adamsky

2. Alex Atkinson (Moosehead)

3. David Assaff (Dave)

4. Ian Kennet

5. Lorne Smith

6. Tony Quarisa

7. Marc Peverini

8. Ramon Lachmansingh (Ray)

9. Stuart Wallington

10. Jake Cadigal

11. Jaroslaw Popowicz (Jarrek)

12. Greg MacDonald

13. Mark Bick

14. Richard Roze

15. James Macleod

16. Chris Moore

17. Mark Christie (Cooks)

18. Jason Kmet

19. Mathew Gourlie

20. James Stewart

21. Andrew Varden

22. Erwin Landsberger

23. Nazz Catania

24. Ted Williams

25. Matt Bin (mattbin)

26. Bill Hrick

27. Lino Terra

28. Robin Glover

29. Dwayne Cole (Winnipeg Fury)

30. Frank Arcuri

31. Marc Francisco

32. Martin Rose

33. Bill Spiers

34. Jeffrey Swartz (Jeffrey S)

35. Behrouz Dehizadeh (Behrouz)

36. Ed Swain (Ed)

37. Gordon Twigg (Gordon)

38. Gian-Luca DiRocco (Gian-Luca)

39. Ivan Severinsky (Ivan)

40. Reza Khalili (Reza)

41. Glenn Oldford (Glenn)

42. Danny J. Tsergini (DJT)

43. Nolan Webb

Nicknames

44. Cheech Wizard

45. Mike D

46. Krammerhead

47. Michael G

48. xoso

49. Doyle

Organizations

50. It's Called Futbol

51. Inside Soccer Magazine

Guest Dave

Well, I'm "Dave Assaff", and I have no problem having my name listed if that's what you guys want to do... although to be fair it doesn't seem like the small contribution I made to the V's Cup all those years ago is deserving of such immortality. If I'd known that this Cup would eventually take on its present significance, I'd surely have made a larger contribition.

On the other hand, I think I recall reading somewhere once that the Grey Cup was originally valued at something like $75 total when it was purchased. And there was a time when you could buy Microsoft stock for under a dollar a share :-)

It's just nice to know that our little band of voices crying in the wilderness is finally getting some recognition. To that end, I think that the "Patriarchs" of the Voyageurs really deserve some recognition as well... starting with our founder, Reza!

Guest Jeffery S.

I am in on it, I just looked at the existing V-Cup page with the donors the other day, to remind myself who was involved.

REmind us what the Cup cost and what it costs to do the plaques each year, I am curious.

Remember the great debate about choosing the silver, posting pics of trophies on the site? That was very edifying, arguing about the look of the thing, but we did a good job in the end. Did we buy a "cheap" cup or a mid-range one, what would it have meant to have paid more for one, would it be noticeable?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I am in on it, I just looked at the existing V-Cup page with the donors the other day, to remind myself who was involved.

REmind us what the Cup cost and what it costs to do the plaques each year, I am curious.

Remember the great debate about choosing the silver, posting pics of trophies on the site? That was very edifying, arguing about the look of the thing, but we did a good job in the end. Did we buy a "cheap" cup or a mid-range one, what would it have meant to have paid more for one, would it be noticeable?

Not sure, maybe Winnipeg Fury can shed the light on that one, but it is my belief that we went with a less expensive cup.

My idea was to buy the thing from UK Cup manufacturer SilverTrophy, who probably manufactures some of the best trophies in the world.

http://www.silvertrophy.com/sa_webapp/Supreme_Cups/142.htm

In the end we went local, though I'm not sure if the actual cup was made here anyways, or what it's made from.

I don't think it matters anyways. If the Cup can stand up to wear and tear, it's good in my books and I think Winnipeg Fury did a great job with the whole thing. You can't please everyone.

quote:Originally posted by N-A

I am happy to have my name included in the page.

Just an idea here

Could we have Real Names along Nicknames

I would recognise some of the Nicknames more then the actual Names.

I could not tell you many of the real names. Some people wanted to be anonymous.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, you know, this and that... joined an Internet startup, sold some pies at BMO field, wrote another couple of books... keeping myself busy.

I do drop in here from time to time but I'm usually so far behind the conversation I'm reading instead of writing. I've been here a lot more since the changes to the Voyageurs Cup though -- well done on that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just a thought,how about putting this Cup into the Soccer Hall Of Fame,with the replica going to the winning team.

I feel very guilty never having read this thread.Sorry.

I would be very happy to contribute,very strange I never saw this,weird at least...

• 5 weeks later...

Just to bring everyone up to speed:

It has been tradition since the first year, that a senior Voyageur has participated in the trophy presentation. This was done every year in Montreal (Matt, Daniel, Grizzly....), and I wanted to see this continue regardless who won between Vancouver and Toronto.

I believe this is an important element to continue as the trophy grows in stature and inevitably we loose a bit of control over the tournament. Our participation acts as a constant reminder of the roots of the trophy and all it stands for.

Today I spoke with TFC Manager Paul Beirne. Paul stated he and TFC are fully supportive of continuing this tradition.

As such, I have asked long time V Rudi, to do the honours for the V's in Toronto. Rudi has graciously accepted this task and I can think of nobody better suited for this Voyageur mission. Rudi has travelled extensively over the years in his support of Canada. He helped immensely in World Cup preparations last year, and was instrumental in our fantastic results on the ground.

He is also a long time supporter of the Voyageurs Cup, for years with the Toronto Lynx, and now one of the key men leading the amazing TFC (U-Sector) support. It goes without saying Rudi was in the stands at Saputo, when TFC blasted their way to victory.

Lots of quality V's in TO, many original contributors, so hopefully everyone will get a crack at this glorious moment.

Now if only the final could be played in Winnipeg.......:D

Uhmm...Jarrek, not to be a prick or anything, but you did forget me in the list of names that donated. I want credit where credit is due [:P] I may not really be a "Voyageur" 100% nowadays, but my hard-earned money went into that Cup of Champions :(