Roster Released

El Hombre

For real this time.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3187

Canada announces rosters for upcoming friendlies

Canada's men's national team has announced the roster for its upcoming preparatory matches against Brasil (Brazil) and Panama. The Canucks will be gathering in Seattle, WA this Sunday 25 May to begin training for the high-profile international friendly match with the Brasilians, the world's number-two ranked country. The Canucks will then head off to Fort Lauderdale, FL to play CONCACAF rivals Panama on 4 June.

"Our first game against Brasil will be a big occasion, but both matches will be invaluable in helping us to assess and prepare for our main focus, which is the qualifying process that begins next month against Saint Vincent and Grenadines," says head coach Dale Mitchell.

Canada's men's national team is currently preparing for Stage II of the 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers™ South Africa. Canada will be facing Saint Vincent & the Grenadines on 15 June (Kingston, VIN) and 20 June (Stade Saputo in Montréal, QC, CAN) in a two-match series. The winner advances to the CONCACAF semi-final round (Stage III) which runs from August-November 2008.

The Canadians have have faced the Brasilians three times, including most recently at the 2001 FIFA Confederations Cup in Ibaraki, Japan (a 0:0 draw). Canada qualified for the 2001 FIFA Confederations Cup by winning the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Canada's senior team has an all-time record of two draws and one loss against Brasil.

While the 4 June match will be the first international friendly between the two sides, Canada and Panama have faced each other four times in FIFA World Cup Qualifiers™ (1996 and 2000). Canada posted draws in both visits to Panama (both matches were 0:0), but won both games in Canada (3:1 win in Edmonton and 1:0 win in Winnipeg).

CANADA

Lars Hirschfeld | G | Edmonton, AB | ROM / CFR Cluj

Pat Onstad | G | Vancouver, BC | USA / Houston Dynamo

Greg Sutton | G | Hamilton, ON | CAN / Toronto FC

Joshua Wagenaar | G | Grimsby, ON | unattached

Patrice Bernier | M | Brossard, QC | GER / FC Kaiserslautern

Jim Brennan | D | East York, ON | CAN / Toronto FC

Adrian Cann | D | Thornhill, ON | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps

Julian de Guzman | M | Scarborough, ON | ESP / Deportivo La Coruna

Marcel de Jong | D/M | Newmarket, ON | NED / Roda JC

Dwayne De Rosario | M/F | Scarborough, ON | USA / Houston Dynamo

Rob Friend | F | Kelowna, BC | GER / Borussia Mönchengladbach

Ali Gerba | F | Montréal, QC | GER / FC Ingolstadt

André Hainault | D | Hudson, QC | CZE / Sparta Praha (on loan from FK SIAD Most)

Richard Hastings | D | Vancouver, BC | SCO / Inverness CT

Atiba Hutchinson | M | Brampton, ON | DEN / F.C. København

Ante Jazic | D | Bedford, NS | USA / Los Angeles Galaxy

Mike Klukowski | D | Oshawa, ON | BEL / Club Brugge KV

Issey Nakajima-Farran | M | Calgary, AB | DEN / FC Nordsjælland

Tam Nsaliwa | D/M | Edmonton, AB | GRE / AEK Athens FC

Jaime Peters | M/F | Pickering, ON | ENG / Ipswich Town FC

Tomasz Radzinski | M/F | Toronto, ON | GRE / Skoda Xanthi

Adrian Serioux | D/M| Scarborough, ON | USA / FC Dallas

Paul Stalteri | D/M | Brampton, ON | ENG / Fulham FC (on loan from Tottenham Hotspur)

Head of delegation / Chef de délégation : Victor Montagliani

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Dale Mitchell

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Stephen Hart

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Nick Dasovic

Video coach / Entraîneur video : Vic Mendes

Goalkeeper coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Paul Dolan

Goalkeeper coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Djamel Laarabi (Panama match)

Manager / Gérant : Morgan Quarry

Equipment manager / Gérant d’équipements : Mike Moretto

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Eddie Cannon (Brasil match)

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Ted Tilbury (Panama match)

Massage Therapist / Massothérapeute : Garret Kusch

So, who's missing? Hume, Occean, Imhof (injured), McKenna...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simpson is also missing, but like Imhof he is also injured so no surprise there. Wouldn't be suprised if Occean simply wasn't released (similar to Stamatopolous not being released from his Norwegian club). Not sure what the deal is with Hume.

Cann being taken ahead of McKenna is a surprise to me.

No McKenna = WTF!? Other than that the selections are pretty logical considering injuries. Called up a lot of GK's, CB's and LB's, probably trying to finally figure out the pecking order (maybe that's why McKenna wasn't chosen? - still doesn't make much sense).

Assuming Mitchell likes that Issey plays a better possession game than Hume, both are suitable subs for Radz.

Lars Hirschfeld

Pat Onstad

Greg Sutton

Joshua Wagenaar

Patrice Bernier

Jim Brennan

Adrian Cann

Julian de Guzman

Marcel de Jong

Dwayne De Rosario

Rob Friend

Ali Gerba

André Hainault

Richard Hastings

Atiba Hutchinson

Ante Jazic

Mike Klukowski

Issey Nakajima-Farran

Tam Nsaliwa

Jaime Peters

Tomasz Radzinski

Adrian Serioux

Paul Stalteri

There are a few interesting things in this roster....we have 4 GKs for instance...is that necessary or because Waganaar was unattached? We are over loaded at left back (Brennan, de Jong, Jazic, Kluka) I think Serioux was added because he was suspended anyways.

Projected line-up

----------------Lars

Stalteri--Hainault-Brennan--Klukowski

Radz-------Tam-----De Guzman----De Ro

----------------Atiba

---------------Friend

23 called. Wonder what's up with Hume, Occean and Mckenna. Only 2 real forwards called. Why 4 keepers?

Cann and Peters (and maybe Wagenaar) have no business being called to a serious wcq prep camp. they must be cover for whoever dropped out and had them retract their first release. Ornoch, Hoillet and Johnson should have been next to be called, their level is far above Cann and Peters. Really thought Will Johnson deserved a look after carrying the U23s.

Unbelievable news about Tam. The press release should have commented on his situation (too bad the guy who wrote it probably doesn't know who Tam is).

4 keepers might be because Sutton and Onstad have both 3 games between may 25th and June 4th. I guess DM wants to be able to work with at least 2 keepers for every training sessions and games which might explain Wagenaar presence here. That's assuming DM has some deals with TFC and Houston coaches for the keepers. Does that makes sense?

No Mckenna is weird. Too bad about Imhoff, would've like to see him. I guess Occean wasn't call or release by his club.

The way the press release is written let me believe that another roster announcement will be made for the SVG games.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

4 keepers might be because Sutton and Onstad have both 3 games between may 25th and June 4th.

I suspect Lars & Josh will dress against Brazil, then Onstad & Sutton against Panama on the 4th, so that the latter two do not miss any club games until (possibly) the St. Vincent series. We may not see Brennan against Brazil either, since we have called up capable four left backs (Brennan, Jazic, Klukowski, De Jong).

The CSA seems to be mis-informed about Josh's club situation, incidentally.

4 keepers might be because Sutton and Onstad have both 3 games between may 25th and June 4th. I guess DM wants to be able to work with at least 2 keepers for every training sessions and games which might explain Wagenaar presence here. That's assuming DM has some deals with TFC and Houston coaches for the keepers. Does that makes sense?

Even so, I would've called Begovic before Wagenaar. I wonder if Dale really doesn't rate Begovic, which is kind of scary considering the report last month about how he'd welcome a call-up to the Bosnian team.

Hume needs to be there.

Jaime Peters has no business being on this team. None at all. Especially if it's at the expense of Hume of McKenna.

Dale Mitchell needs to start getting us some victories.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I suspect Lars & Josh will dress against Brazil, then Onstad & Sutton against Panama on the 4th,

I was just thinking the same thing 2 GK against Brazil and 2 against Panama. A GK each half.

quote:Originally posted by N-A

I was just thinking the same thing 2 GK against Brazil and 2 against Panama. A GK each half.

I'm not sure about giving Josh Wagenaar a half against Brazil. But Sutton and Onstad splitting time against Panama is a good idea.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Even so, I would've called Begovic before Wagenaar. I wonder if Dale really doesn't rate Begovic, which is kind of scary considering the report last month about how he'd welcome a call-up to the Bosnian team.

DM made Begovic one of his captain for the U-20, I don't think he doesn't rate him.

I'm pretty sure he knows what both guys are capable of. They've played plenty of games (most of them we didn't see) for him.

DM made Begovic one of his captain for the U-20, I don't think he doesn't rate him.

Isn't that the same U20 team that he threw under the bus after the tournament and said that they weren't good enough to compete at the international level?

Edit: I'm just curious what Dale thinks is all. I know it doesn't really make a lick of difference either way.

I don't know that Josh will get a half against Brazil, but I suspect he will dress for that one while Greg & Pat will be with their club teams.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I think at this point Wagenaar is just a body to make up numbers for training. Begovic is young and will get his chances, although I'm not sure this qualifying cycle is the time.

Exactly and I don't see Wags getting any playing time unless injury.

I'm not to dissapointed by Hume absence, he didn't impress against South Africa and didn't have his best season in the CCC.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I'm not sure about giving Josh Wagenaar a half against Brazil. But Sutton and Onstad splitting time against Panama is a good idea.

I do not know who will play against Brazil but whoever it is there will be great competition between all four which could be a good.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Hume needs to be there.

Jaime Peters has no business being on this team. None at all. Especially if it's at the expense of Hume of McKenna.

Dale Mitchell needs to start getting us some victories.

Peters in for Mckenna? Surely Hume but I don't see how he could be in instead of Mckenna.

I think Peters is a tactical call up because of his speed. I can't see him starting and I feel he would only be use as a late sub if we're loosing and can use his speed on the wings.

I do not know who will play against Brazil but whoever it is there will be great competition between all four which could be a good.

Let's just assume Lars will start against Brazil, if he does well just continue with him for the Panama game. That should be the same for the other positions. I don't think it's the right time to try things and give some minutes to everyone. DM needs to assess his players based on current form with their clubs and what they show in training before the Brazil game.

I'd like to find out what the reason is for Hume's absence first before I comment on Peters being there instead of him. I'm hoping that its due to a slight injury or something, and not because Peters is simply being preferred. I mentioned before that I didn't have a problem with calling up Peters to see what he could do as part of a larger camp, but I don't agree with it if it is because he's simply being preferred to Hume.

Archived