Whitecaps Sign Pozniak

WHITECAPS ADD CANADIAN DEFENDER

May 21, 2008

VANCOUVER, BC – Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the signing of defender Chris Pozniak – pending international clearance. Pozniak last played with Chivas USA of Major League Soccer (MLS).

"Chris brings a wealth of experience and quality to our back end," said Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi. "The signing of Chris made sense for a number of reasons for both the club and Chris. Chris was looking for a team that would be able to use his services for the next six weeks before allowing him to explore opportunities in Europe. We are currently playing through a busy stretch in our schedule and have sustained some recent injuries. This is a win-win for both club and player."

In four games with Chivas USA this season, Pozniak started three and recorded 311 minutes. Last year, Pozniak was a regular with Toronto FC, also of MLS, playing 22 matches (starting 16) for 1,498 minutes and registering three assists. Following the 2007 season, Pozniak was selected by San Jose Earthquakes as the tenth pick in the 2007 MLS Expansion Draft, but was traded to Chivas USA prior to the start of the 2008 season.

The five-foot-eleven, 175-pound defender began his professional soccer career with his hometown club Toronto Lynx (then of the United Soccer Leagues A-League) at the age of 18 in 1999. After a three-year stint with the Lynx, Pozniak transferred to Orebro Sportklubb of the Swedish top-flight Allsvenskan in September of 2001. In March 2004, Pozniak signed for two seasons with F.K. Haugesund of the Norwegian First Division.

Pozniak, who was born in Kraków, Poland, and immigrated to Canada with his family in 1990, has been capped by Canada at the U-20, U-23 and senior levels. Pozniak earned his first senior cap in the 2002 CONCACAF Gold Cup against Haiti. He has since earned 21 caps, which includes a start in Canada’s 1-0 win over Martinique last January.

The problem with Poz for the US based MLS teams is that he's probably not worth the near $100,000 salary & international spot to boot for a player that is only going to fill in roster holes as required. He was a perfect fit for TFC in that respect but their senior roster is already jammed pack (though I still don't see Phelan deserving a senior roster spot at this point, so in theory room could have been made).

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Well let's see how he performs for the Whitecaps. If he stands out he may earn his way onto TFC's roster.

If I am not mistaken the Caps have given up one goal in 5 games, and it was a penalty was it not?

It is not like the team has huge defensive holes so it may be hard for him to look like he is improving anything.

Adrian Cann is being named to Canada's squad for the Brazil game and WCQ, and both Jeff Clarke and Takashi Hirano are injured.

Pozniak's contract could only be until July 1st, so he'll miss some of the CONCACAF qualifying, which is too bad, cause he'd have something to prove against TFC.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The problem with Poz for the US based MLS teams is that he's probably not worth the near $100,000 salary & international spot to boot for a player that is only going to fill in roster holes as required. He was a perfect fit for TFC in that respect but their senior roster is already jammed pack (though I still don't see Phelan deserving a senior roster spot at this point, so in theory room could have been made).

I remember on the eve of the SJ expansion draft last fall wondering why you would use up an international roster spot on a utility player, then Yallop surprised me and drafted him, only to send him to Chivas just before the MLS season began. Plus, his salary hit on the team wage bill worked equally (and perhaps more) against him.

That said, I'm happy to see him with the Caps and I wish him all the best.

in MLS Poz was only a fringe player. as TFC fans have seen, as the roster has generally gotten better, some players haven't looked as good (Edu for example). Poz would be hard pressed to be the 18th man on the senior roster now. and he's no longer a prospect.

I'm not convinced that Edu's healthy right now and I have a hunch that's affecting his play more than the TFC roster improving. As for Pozniak, there's a real range of opinion on this board as to whether or not he's MLS starting material. Regardless, at 27 he is indeed no longer a prospect, but he is going to help this team with his experience and utility qualities.

Archived