The Fan590 Soccer Show - May 15 edition

VPjr

just got the following email from Nigel Reed. This is going to be a top notch show. get your questions ready and don't be shy to call in:

On tonight's Soccer Show on the Fan590, starting at 7.00pm (ET), Nigel and Bob will be joined in the studio by recently retired former Canadian captain JASON DE VOS, and Toronto FC co-captain

CARL ROBINSON.

The lads will be taking your calls and answering your emails from 7.00-9.00pm.

Call In: 416-870-0590 or *590 from your cell,

email: nigel@fan590.com

The Soccer Show - tonight at 7.00pm - only on The Fan590 and www.FAN590.com (listen live feature)

Just started listening tot this show. Its quality and really needs to be publicized more outside of Toronto through the podcast, because I'd never heard of it before two weeks ago. I emailed in for the first time this week too.

Just started listening tot this show. Its quality and really needs to be publicized more outside of Toronto through the podcast, because I'd never heard of it before two weeks ago. I emailed in for the first time this week too.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I've been helping Nigel promote the show through the various forums but sometimes I neglect to post here. I will make sure to remind people weekly on this forum about what's going on week to week on this show.

it really is quite good. These 2 hour episodes are great (too bad they are so rare).

Another great show by Nigel and Bob. With 2 young kids, I live in a demand world. The fact that I can get this show on podcast is music to my ears. Keep up the great work and don't pull any punches. I agree with the shame placed on the Toronto soccer "fans" who didn't show up for the CAN v. ARG U20 match. Quit crying about the WCQ's not being held in TO. Sell out for a U20 match and maybe you'll get a chance again. I still have too many memories of foreign support in TO. Reginna, Jamaica, Mexico, T&T, Caribanna Cup....etc.

quote:Originally posted by coppercanuck

Another great show by Nigel and Bob. With 2 young kids, I live in a demand world. The fact that I can get this show on podcast is music to my ears. Keep up the great work and don't pull any punches. I agree with the shame placed on the Toronto soccer "fans" who didn't show up for the CAN v. ARG U20 match. Quit crying about the WCQ's not being held in TO. Sell out for a U20 match and maybe you'll get a chance again. I still have too many memories of foreign support in TO. Reginna, Jamaica, Mexico, T&T, Caribanna Cup....etc.

You can? Can you subscribe to it through iTunes? I took a quick look last night but I couldn't find anything.

Quit crying about the WCQ's not being held in TO. Sell out for a U20 match and maybe you'll get a chance again.

No one is 'crying' about WCQ's not being held here. Stating one's opinion on something that you disagree with is not crying. This is coming from someone who agrees with the Vincey game being in MTL.

And we did "sell out for a U20 match" numerous times, in fact.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I honestly have heard very few complaints in Toronto about the St. Vincent match being held in Montreal.

Exactly.

Saying that people are 'crying' about it is a rather random comment to make, and has nothing to do with the topics being discussed.

I'm sorry but I'm tired of Toronto fans getting crapped on...i've said this to Bobby Iarusci directly and I'll say it here...nowhere in the world do U20 Friendlies sell out a 20,000 seat stadium. If I'm wrong, prove it.

If the promotor sold about 5000 tickets to this game, that would be about right for a U20 friendly of this caliber. In fact, I predicted less than 5000 when I saw the date and the ticket prices. It's not like Argentina brought even 1 of their "big name" youth players. These were the guys on the outskirts of the program.

You want Toronto fans to come out to a national team match? Give us something we actally want. Toronto soccer fans have lots of ticket buying options and watching a U20 friendly on Mothers Day featuring a random group of Canadian youth players that we have almost no familiarity with playing against Argentina's C or D squad is not my idea of $30+ (before parking and concessions) well spent.

I bought tickets to the U20 friendlies vs. the USA back in 2006 over at Skydome and I didn't feel I got my money's worth then and I don't believe I would have got my money's worth last Sunday. At some point, we fans do have the right to say "this is not worth spending my money on". Instead of buying those U20 tickets, I took that money and bought 2 season ticket family packages for a couple of CSL clubs in the GTA. I'm still supporting Canadian soccer but I'm getting better value for my money in my opinion.

Furthemore, the poor turnout doesn't hurt the CSA so I don't have this guilt feeling that the CSA just bled another $100K or more on another poorly oganized promotion. The Russian promotor lost his shirt on this one. I could care less about whether Gepka makes money or doesn't.

Give me the senior team vs any opponent and I'll be there (as I was last year when I bought 30 tickets to the Costa Rica game and took my entire youth team and some of the parents). it's too bad the senior players don't like the turf.

Careful now. From two years ago:

"Canada’s U-20 National Team defeated Brazil 2:1 tonight in front of a boisterous crowd of 14,250 in Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium."

If you (well not you personally) Toronto fans want to piss on Edmonton and take games away from Edmonton (and Montreal for that matter), you have to step up!

^ I don't see the point of pissing on any group of Canadian fans. it's hard enough to be a Canadian soccer fan without having fellow supporters throwing knives at each other just for sport. Rather than tearing each other apart, maybe we should start sticking together a bit more.

14,000 fans for a friendly is excellent for a U20 friendly. I think many "true" soccer nations would be impressed with that turnout for a Youth team. Too bad that 14000 fans in commonwealth LOOKS almsot as empty as 5000 fans at BMO but regardless, 14,000 is good support.

I know people think its a lame excuse but I'm quite certain that if the ticket prices were lower and the game was not on Mother's Day, the turnout for the Canada-Argentina friendly would have been closer to 6500-7000. Still not 14,000 but better. I really think that is the best you will get for a U20 friendly. However, it's clear that Toronto can fill the stadium for an important U20 match (the Canada-Chile debacle last Canada Day is a good example).

Archived