CSL & Expansion

PSG

I'd like to see the CSL focus on Ontario and Quebec right now - particularly Quebec since they have one lone franchise out there. For the prairies it would seem you really have to have all your ducks in a line. If for instance, you could not find an owner in Saskatchewan, it might make the whole expansion plan unworkable because of the Manitoba-Alberta travel involved.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by KAS

Thank-you Eric and VPjr.

Do either of you know if the CSL has any kind of salary cap? If somebody wanted to play big-fish/small-pond and pay several players $1000/game, would that be permitted?

I assume that the clubs own the players and not the league, but are the contracts of a permanent enough nature that they really hold the players rights and can command a fee in the transfer market?

I asked that question to one of the owners once and he said NO, there's no salary cap in the CSL right now. But he said they're working on a minimum pay in the near future.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

We need more teams in the province of Quebec. More teams need to be propped up in metropolis such as Hall, the Greater Montreal, Quebec City and it surroundings, etc...

As per Western expansion, what about BC??? It would be nice if the CSL could start off a Western conference regional league system between BC, Alberta Saskatchewan and Manitoba...With the winner meeting the Eastern champ in a home and away championship series during the month of October. I'm afraid this plan is doom for failure if BC is excluded from this agenda. BC could easily add 5-6 teams to this league, and make it into a solid 12 team regional league. Any comments, suggestions or feedbacks. What about you Bill Speers (former CPSL Commissioner)???

Luis this hold thread is about the BC expansion, did you read the other posts?

quote:Originally posted by ray

I'd like to see the CSL focus on Ontario and Quebec right now - particularly Quebec since they have one lone franchise out there. For the prairies it would seem you really have to have all your ducks in a line. If for instance, you could not find an owner in Saskatchewan, it might make the whole expansion plan unworkable because of the Manitoba-Alberta travel involved.

The problem with the Quebec expansions is not the lack of interest by clubs or new owners, I was having a conversation with some players after a CSL game and two directors from those clubs joint the spontaneous forum in a parking lot and they explain to us that Montreal Impact holds the rights for the province of Quebec and they don't want any professional clubs in the province other than what they have already which are the Impact and Trois Rivieres and since they pay for those rights, they're making it count.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Hey Eric...are you going to the Shooters v Astros on Friday night....if so, we should meet up

Sorry VPjr friday night is reconciliation night with the misses (so I can go to the games saturday and sunday with no remorse) ;)

quote:Originally posted by Eric

The problem with the Quebec expansions is not the lack of interest by clubs or new owners, I was having a conversation with some players after a CSL game and two directors from those clubs joint the spontaneous forum in a parking lot and they explain to us that Montreal Impact holds the rights for the province of Quebec and they don't want any professional clubs in the province other than what they have already which are the Impact and Trois Rivieres and since they pay for those rights, they're making it count.

Thanks for that information. I wondered why it was so hard to find new owners in Quebec. However, it means Trois-Rivieres has plenty of long bus rides to away games. From the Ontario teams' point of view, if there is no possibility of expansion into Quebec is it worth having a single franchise there?

Ray, Quebec is essentially a closed shop. If the CSL wants to expand in Quebec, I suspect they'll need to do some ring kissing to make it happen. What Saputo wants, Saputo gets in Quebec. The Quebec Federation and the Saputos are like peas in a pod.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

Sorry VPjr friday night is reconciliation night with the misses (so I can go to the games saturday and sunday with no remorse) ;)

TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE.

I've got TFC on Saturday and then again next Tuesday, sandwiched around coaching on Monday and Wednesday so sneaking out to watch Shooters v. Astros on Friday is not really a wise move. I'm taking my two sons with me to make it possible to stay out of the dog house.

Too bad you'll miss it...should be a very good game...some other time perhaps. What game are you watching Sunday?

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say that it would be neat if there was a professional team in Winnipeg. This idea of a co-op team is cool! It would have a more grassroots feel to it as compared to a corporate approach. If anybody knows ways to support the cause please let me know :-). Let's bring back the FURY!!!

Is there an objective way to determine which league is professional and which is semi pro??? Is there a defining feature? Maybe that not all players are paid or that despite being paid they still need to have day jobs?

One idea I had was that maybe a team could be set up in cooperation with the Manitoba Soccer Association. Maybe you could gather an all star team from the Manitoba Major Soccer League. Just an idea.

^ Yes, in the USA there's only 2 pro leagues .......... in Canada none but the CSL out of those 5 others you mention is the only one trying to become a pro league and above all it's a canadian league. With a nick name like yours "winterfan", you should be looking more to the north not so much to the south.

Archived