Chivas waive Chris Pozniak

kelownaguy

CARSON, Calif. -- Chivas USA has announced the acquisition of defender Carey Talley, an 11-year veteran of Major League Soccer and 1999 MLS Cup champion, from Real Salt Lake. Drafted by D.C. United out of the University of North Carolina in 1998, Talley has played 256 games in his MLS career (starting 206), scoring 18 goals and adding 25 assists as a defender and defensive midfielder. In exchange, Chivas USA sent a conditional pick in either the 2010 or 2011 MLS SuperDraft to Real Salt Lake.

Chivas USA also announced today that defender Chris Pozniak has been waived. The Canadian international joined MLS in 2007 with Toronto FC, playing 22 games (starting 16) and registering 3 assists before being selected by San Jose with the tenth pick in the 2007 Expansion Draft during the offseason. Traded to Chivas USA on March 28, Pozniak had played four games (starting three) as a right defender for the Red-and-White in 2008.

TFC's senior roster is full so they can't pick him up unless they drop someone else. Which could happen I suppose, but maybe not right away.

But yeah, this is bizarre. Didn't see this coming given how much he was playing for Chivas, how bad his replacement was, and the fact that they traded for him to begin with. Perhaps they simply felt he wasn't worth the international spot & the salary hit.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Perhaps they simply felt he wasn't worth the international spot & the salary hit.

i think it's that last point you make.

Poz simply makes too much money (for this league) and the international spot hurts him.

maybe he goes back to SJ

I think this shows what a ridiculous situation TFC and Mo have put us in with the Canadian quota being dropped so low while Americans can play freely for TFC. The CSA should have had some balls and refused to sanction TFC with the reduced quota unless the MLS made Canadians domestic throughout the league. We really should organize some sort of protest about this situation. It is quite an important issue for the future of our players and we would probably have more chance of success than with the anti-CSA campaign. I doubt either the MLS or TFC want the bad publicity and scrutiny that would come with a substantial protest against their current discriminatory policy towards Canadian players.

^ I am not interested in seeing Canadians gaining places on TFC solely because of their nationality, how wussy would that be! I want to see Canada's only MLS team field the best and most competitive team it can under the salary cap. This is not amateur sport we are talking about where national feelings mustn't be hurt, this is the big leagues, professional sports entertainment business. We don't demand preferential treatment for Canadians with the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Blue Jays or even the Raptors, why then TFC? Is TFC somehow a lesser operation that Canadian players need special allowances? Sheesh!

This is not about giving Canadians places they don't deserve on TFC's roster, Richard. MLS is a league that observes nationality quotas. At the moment these nationality quotas are fairly strict in regards to foreigners including Canadians playing on American teams yet extremely lax for foreigners and in particular Americans playing on our one Canadian team. In other words Canadians are at a strict disadvantage when trying to play for American MLS teams while Americans have no such problem playing for TFC. As such this policy is highly discriminatory against Canadian players. Were Pozniak an American he would probably have maintained his spot with Chivas or at the very least would have a much easier time signing with another MLS franchise. An American player does not face similar restrictions in playing for TFC. If the MLS wants to open up the whole league as domestic for both Canadians and Americans I have no problem with your view of allowing the best player to play for each team regardless of nationality within a fair and equal quota system. As it stands now the system and league is discriminatory against Canadian players and we should not accept this from the MLS, TFC or the CSA especially considering the significant government funding that went into bringing MLS to Toronto.

I see problems down the road if the the status of Canadians is not amended or clarified. Suppose TFC needs to make trade one day and one or more of one the players being discussed is Canadian or American thus impacting the foreign or domestic quota on one of the teams. Doesn't that put TFC at unfair disadvantage because of having barriers to making a trade that other teams dont? So I agree that the canadian players mobility is restricted.

But,on the other hand, I am not sure that this story serves as the best example of whats wrong with the MLS quota system in regards to Canadian players. Perhaps we are forgetting that there are two Canadians occupying international spots for Houston. But notice that they're not getting dropped or having trouble maintaining their spots. Also, it didn't stop New England from drafting Britner.

Reading on the Chivas fan boards (at least the English ones I can find) it doesn't sound like they are too happy about the move & they felt their defensive problems lay somewhere else (notably how crap Suarez & Guzan have been). On the other hand if they get a comparable player (and they are apparently expecting Talley to provide cover at right back) who frees up an international roster spot for them, then I can understand the move.

That's the thing with Canadian players on non-Canadian teams - they have to prove they are better than domestic options. Being just as good is not good enough. Of course that's the way it should also work for Canadian teams - non-Canadian players should have to prove they are better options than any Canadian players available. But of course I'm not sure that how it works for TFC with Mo in charge, and I cite the Tyler Hemming incident as a notable example.

I would like to see how this plays out. There is room on the TFC roster for Poz - if they can demote Lombardo to the dev. roster then they can easily do the same to Phelan, a player who doesn't seem anywhere close to even dressing for a TFC game (let alone playing in one) unless a number of injuries & suspensions crop up. That will open up a senior roster spot & they can potentially re-sign Poz at a more affordable salary. Given his versatility that he proved and provided last year, there's not reason not to expect he couldn't contribute like that again this year.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think this shows what a ridiculous situation TFC and Mo have put us in with the Canadian quota being dropped so low while Americans can play freely for TFC. The CSA should have had some balls and refused to sanction TFC with the reduced quota unless the MLS made Canadians domestic throughout the league. We really should organize some sort of protest about this situation. It is quite an important issue for the future of our players and we would probably have more chance of success than with the anti-CSA campaign. I doubt either the MLS or TFC want the bad publicity and scrutiny that would come with a substantial protest against their current discriminatory policy towards Canadian players.

I agree with you entirely. I think it is time for a protest letter from Voyageurs on this issue, don't know if anyone wants a go at it.

It does not have to be radical, just clearly state that the whole point of MLS was to promote US soccer, and that the CSA putting money into an MLS stadium in Toronto also had to do with promoting the Canadian game: and we are not getting a reciprocal treatment from either MLS or TFC. That we feel it is time for some rule changes to ensure Canadians are not discriminated in the US in a way Americans are not in Canada.

The discrimination comes from MLS, because they are still worried about US quotas and USSoccer pressure and only care about TFC as a sport market; and from TFC because at MLSE they are used to running pro sports franchises where local boys or national interests are never a factor, they have been taught to not give a damn. And in soccer it does matter, and in this case even more than others.

Of course it is not about threatening to not go or not support the team in Toronto, it is precisely the opposite: since Canadians are proudly supporting the team it is time to listen to their voices and lobby for more Canadians at TFC or more Canadians in MLS, without unfair treatment being applied. It is a question of equity and identity, and that does not make for a radical message at all.

TFC can solve the issue themselves, all they need to do if file a free trade complaint, you cant treat one company in one of three countrys different then another, the quota on Canadians without a quota on Americans is unfair treatement under the trade agreement. Currently the treatment of who can be hired in not equal.

Of course TFC may not care because they are selling out and dont need to win now or long term to make money in Toronto, of course of the CSA follows the CBF and bans alcohol in the stadia .. look to see TFC closing out pretty quickly.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

TFC can solve the issue themselves, all they need to do if file a free trade complaint, you cant treat one company in one of three countrys different then another, the quota on Canadians without a quota on Americans is unfair treatement under the trade agreement. Currently the treatment of who can be hired in not equal.

Of course TFC may not care because they are selling out and dont need to win now or long term to make money in Toronto, of course if the CSA follows the CBF and bans alcohol in the stadia .. look to see TFC closing out pretty quickly.

CBF proíbe bebidas alcoólicas nos estádios - 09/05/2008

A Confederação Brasileira de Futebol publicou esta semana uma Resolução que proíbe o consumo e venda de bebidas alcoólicas nos estádios em competições promovidas pela entidade. A medida entrará em vigor já na primeira rodada do Campeonato Brasileiro.

Confira a nota oficial publicada pela entidade:

O presidente Ricardo Teixeira assina Resolução da Presidência, de 29 de abril de 2008, que aprova o Adendo ao Protocolo de Intenções celebrado entre o Conselho Nacional de Procuradores Gerais (CNPG) e a Confederação Brasileira de Futebol (CBF), que dispõe sobre a proibição do consumo e venda de bebida alcoólica no interior de estádios em partidas de competições coordenadas tecnicamente pela entidade e organizadas pelas Federações e pelos clubes detentores do mando de campo.

Veja o teor da Resolução da Presidência nº 01/2008

Of course TFC may not care because they are selling out and dont need to win now or long term to make money in Toronto, of course of the CSA follows the CBF and bans alcohol in the stadia .. look to see TFC closing out pretty quickly.

You don't seriously think that MLS is doing this against TFC's wishes do you????

Where did this come from?? [xx(]

This is not about giving Canadians places they don't deserve on TFC's roster, Richard. MLS is a league that observes nationality quotas. At the moment these nationality quotas are fairly strict in regards to foreigners including Canadians playing on American teams yet extremely lax for foreigners and in particular Americans playing on our one Canadian team. In other words Canadians are at a strict disadvantage when trying to play for American MLS teams while Americans have no such problem playing for TFC. As such this policy is highly discriminatory against Canadian players. Were Pozniak an American he would probably have maintained his spot with Chivas or at the very least would have a much easier time signing with another MLS franchise. An American player does not face similar restrictions in playing for TFC. If the MLS wants to open up the whole league as domestic for both Canadians and Americans I have no problem with your view of allowing the best player to play for each team regardless of nationality within a fair and equal quota system. As it stands now the system and league is discriminatory against Canadian players and we should not accept this from the MLS, TFC or the CSA especially considering the significant government funding that went into bringing MLS to Toronto.

Don't disagree but those ain't the rules under which Mo and crew are currently working and they desperately needed to improve the quality of their team over last year where they did have affordable Canadians. Seems they've made good progress on that score. Maybe once the salary cap is doubled or tripled there may be a chance of tempting back to Canada some of those Canadians playing in Europe who are more than journeymen level professionals and who might make an impact in the MLS. But the one sure way to get MLSE and MLS to pay attention to your complaints is to stop buying seasons tickets. While they continue to sell out they will do as they please. Interesting that the USL functions just fine with no nationality quotas or restrictions that I am aware of.

FWIW, I've heard that it was the USSF that balked at having Canadians and Americans count as equal domestics throughout the league.

The CSA and MLS were apparently on board, but the USSF would not sanction it. This is what prompted Mo/TFC to go after increased international spots, which ended up being (not coincidentally) American.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

If Pozniak is seen as being an improvement on Harmse, odds on Mo is ruthless enough to drop Harmse to add Pozniak if the numbers work.

And I think that's a very possible scenario as well. I can easily imagine Brennan talking to Carver and Mo to convince them to bring Poz back to Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

i agree with you Grizzly. well said

Yes, I agree completely. And as Jeffrey has stated, this does not need to be some venomous letter.

We have one MLS team and the lack of Canadians is farcical. This is supposed to be "Canada's team !? "

My hands are full at the moment, and I don't think this needs to be long or poetic. Straight and to the point. The flaws are obvious, and Grizzly has aptly pointed them out. I'm sure the CSA would agree with us. A formal letter gives our cause added leverage, so it is important.

Grizzly & Jeffrey, would you two senior V's be willing to take on this project ? A couple of bright guys like you could draw something up over a cup of coffee. We would formally send it to the CSA (I can insure it is read by everyone we want), posted on the U-Sector, RPB's boards. I'm sure sites like Canada Kicks and BC Soccer Web would post it as well. I would also send a copy to all our media links and the USSF, MLS, USL, etc.....

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

FWIW, I've heard that it was the USSF that balked at having Canadians and Americans count as equal domestics throughout the league.

It pisses me off to learn that. If that is the case, then it would only be fair that an exclusivity agreement over Canadian talent be granted to TFC so that if another DeRosario comes around, you wont see he on a US based team.

But it begs the question, why does USSF even have a say? MLS investors and clubs is after all private enterprise. What to stop them from doing like the NASL or any overseas league and not have quotas at all.

This will also hurt Canadian players bargaining position for contracts because their value to a US side will be different than it is to a Canadian side.

Archived