Prodigy off to Spain

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=b2850249-31ff-40c6-a316-1ffcd36a4dab&k=80262

A 9 year old North Vancouver boy has been signed by Barcelona. His parents are taking hotel jobs over there to be with him. At 9 years old who knows what he can become but hopefully he can fulfill his promise.

Maybe Jeffrey can one day get close enough to remind him of his roots.:)

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

according to this article, he wants to lead Canada to a World cup

http://www.gsoccer.ca/images/Little%20boy,%20big%20talent%20-%20North%20Shore%20Outlook-Jan17-2008.pdf

Please! That is exactly what we need. Some talent who see the challenge of leading Canada to the World Cup. I remember Maradona's childhood statements of wanting to play in and win the World Cup for Argentina.

If we can get a couple of these kids to play for us it creates a mood of "lets do it" that is lacking. Our current crop can inspire this by making the World Cup. Go boys!

"Juan Carlos Patino says international soccer school trips and tryouts are expensive, so the family has tried a unique venture, setting up a fundraiser website for Gianni’s professional career dreams. To visit, go to www.gsoccer.ca"

Can I get a refund if he doesn't cap for us? :D

Guest Jeffery S.

Well this is the set-up kids of that age get, their parents have to get a work contract and be able to get papers, and that way the kid can play in Spain. The club itself can set that up, really no problem at all and the sector itself hungry for experienced workers. The club usually will offer a sum of money to keep off other bidders.

He is young, and at that age the real problem is that you are with other kids with talent but you have no rivals, Barça and Español youth are so far ahead of everyone else it is usually just blow-out after blow-out. I know this as a local neighbourhood team is in one of the two divisions and they can get beat 18-1 or 24-0 in Football 7 (usual format, sideways across a normal pitch) and still be mid table. So you rely on tournaments to get more experience and of course the quality of Barça youth is extraordinary.

Another plus is that Barça actually plays teenagers, word is that Gai Assulin the 16-year old wing who has already played senior side for Israel will be moved up to the 1st team next season.

As long as he is a reasonably sharp player at 16-17 he will have a pro career just on basic ball talent, as long as nothing goes wrong.

No word about growth hormones in the articles.

I also find it odd that they are fundraising to get 15,000 to go to Spain. The web says it is to make the move and send him to an "American" school. Which is a dubious idea, just let him go to any school that is decent where you are living or convenient for his training, and that it is. Better for him to be integrated into the culture than to worry about what you can get from an English school, which is English and little more.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

you have no rivals, Barça and Español youth are so far ahead of everyone else it is usually just blow-out after blow-out.

and of course the quality of Barça youth is extraordinary.

Another plus is that Barça actually plays teenagers

Yea the Barca fans may complain but their club system is totally amazing. Last time I looked 13 of the current team list previous club as "Barca juniors"! Now there is a system to copy and try to emulate!!

Interesting how this kid with a Latin background, about to boot up for a Spanish club, is wearing England and Germany shirts in his website photos. I guess there's some hope he'll play for Canada rather than Spain.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Yea the Barca fans may complain but their club system is totally amazing. Last time I looked 13 of the current team list previous club as "Barca juniors"! Now there is a system to copy and try to emulate!!

True. Most English academies produce reserve players who eventually fill the Conference and Non-League.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Interesting how this kid with a Latin background, about to boot up for a Spanish club, is wearing England and Germany shirts in his website photos. I guess there's some hope he'll play for Canada rather than Spain.

Well his dad played in Germany and he had some letters and such from Liverpool. So that might explain the shirts.

Someone please send him a De Guzman or Hutch shirt :D

Good luck to this kid,

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

^ Jeffrey, do us all a favour and give them a Voyageur welcome to Barcelona!

Here's their email address:

Gianni@gsoccer.ca

They seem to encourage people to contact them to find out how little Gianni is doing...

I will try to contact them, but maybe by calling directly. Does anyone know what the club or academy is, who runs it, as I think it is best to talk to them instead of mailing. I don't want them to think I am trying to get something from them or anything, I would just be glad to help in any way I can, I am a club member and have been here for 20 years, also happen to have lived in North Van a good part of my life. And of course as my kid is the same age they have a potential friend here if they are open to it.

We'll see what we can do, but as I say, they may think I am a nutcase if I mail them all enthusiastic and too overwhelming.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

We'll see what we can do, but as I say, they may think I am a nutcase if I mail them all enthusiastic and too overwhelming.

WHAT?!

Do you mean to say that your not a nutcase?;)

• 3 months later...
Guest Jeffery S.

They are wrong to believe they'll be playing against R Madrid or Sevilla. They will play against teams in Barcelona and environs, and the only real rival will be the Espanyol youth.

If he plays with the Alevins, u-11, they will go to a few tournaments where they'll face national and even international youth competition, like in a tournament in May of each year in Brunete near Madrid. That was the tournament where Iniesta was discovered by Barça while playing for Albacete.

You see in the clip how he drops his head and gets the ball stripped from him--he'll get that flaw corrected in the first week, you don't lose possession if you have a pass that is a better option.

Archived