Jump to content

Canadians abroad: May 2-8, 2008


DJT

Recommended Posts

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for May 2-8, 2008.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England

Premiership

Fulham (Stalteri)2 v 0 Birmingham

Stalteri starts and plays 90 mins. Picks up a YC on 45 mins

Middlesbrough 2 v 0 Portsmouth (Begovic)

Begovic stays on the bench

League One

Cheltenham (D'Agostino)2 v 1 Doncaster

D'Agostino stays on the bench

Leeds 2 v 1 Gillingham (Jackson)

Jackson starts plays 90 mins

Gillingham are relegated

Nottm Forest 3 v 2 Yeovil (Bircham,Peters)

Bircham starts and plays 90 mins

Peters starts and plays 90 mins. Scores on 20 mins from close range

League Two

Chester 0 v 0 Macclesfield (Dunfield)

No Dunfield

Dag & Red (Smith)2 v 0 Mansfield

No Smith

Conference South Semi Final Play Off 2nd Leg (1:1)

Hampton & Richmond (Godfrey)0 v 0 Fisher Athletic

Hampton win 4:2 on Pens and play Eastbourne Borough in the Final

Godfrey starts and plays 65 mins

Scotland Premier

Inverness CT (Hastings)6 v 1 Gretna

Hastings starts and plays 90 mins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Huge match for Stalteri and Fulham this morning and on Setanta right away. Both Birmingham and Fulham have a reasonable chance of still overtaking Bolton if Bolton stumble at home against Sunderland. Also live on Setanta right after the match from Cravens Cottage.

And Bolton might stumble. If either side comes out of Craven Cottage with the max points the result will be know by the Bolton players and huge pressure could weigh on them.

Going to be lots of fun today. At the bottom end of the EPL at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Zaragova v Deportivo is about to kick off at 4:00 pm EST on Gol TV. I'm assuming Julian will start.

Julian starting and holding in the double defensive pivot beside Sergio, the secret to Depor's success according to commentators on the Catalan tv. Zaragoza needs a win to get out of relegation, with an amazing squad and terrible results where they should never be.

Commentators here admire Julian's work but started comparing him to Jono and said the other had all the ball talent, sort of slagged him as just a workhorse. Mentioned his nickname Bobby and now are calling him Bobby in the broadcast. Another comment was that in Riazor fans have been a bit impatient as whenever he shoots he goes high, that he has even been whistled for not getting it on the net, much like the shot he had tonight m. 30.

I think he is doing his job great, holding and going forwards when he can, covering a lot of ground. Perhaps he could do more, but that what a team is for, and Depor are doing just fine with him in the lineup.

0-0 at the half.

Edit: And they lose it in the last seconds of overtime, 1-0. Zaragoza relies on themselves to stay up. Depor had no shots on goal and their rival close to a dozen, some close, so the win was deserved. Discreet match for Julian and the rest of the team who were coasting at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Jeffery S.

Klukowski plays 90 as Bruges fall away to Anderlecht 2-0, as they take the 2nd spot in the league and go to the Champions previous rounds. Bruges to the UEFA. A win from the visitors would have reversed their European fortunes. Season is thus over in Belgium, Standard Liege wins the championship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DeRo & Onstad play 90 and Poz comes on early in the 13th minute & plays the rest of the game in a 0-0 draw between Houston & Chivas USA. Houston still winless although I think they climb ahead of San Jose for last place overall with their fourth draw of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

DeRo & Onstad play 90 and Poz comes on early in the 13th minute & plays the rest of the game in a 0-0 draw between Houston & Chivas USA. Houston still winless although I think they climb ahead of San Jose for last place overall with their fourth draw of the season.

By the way, this match had more Canadian content, by minutes, than any TFC game this season. (ducks)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

England

Championship

Ipswich (Devos)1 v 0 Hull (Ipswich need a win to get into the playoffs as do Hull for an automatic promotion spot)

Devos starts and plays 90 mins

Stoke 0 v 0 Leicester (Hume) (Leicester need a miracle to stay up. Lets hope Southampton lose to Sheffield Utd)

Hume starts and plays 90 mins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Julian starting and holding in the double defensive pivot beside Sergio, the secret to Depor's success according to commentators on the Catalan tv. Zaragoza needs a win to get out of relegation, with an amazing squad and terrible results where they should never be.

Commentators here admire Julian's work but started comparing him to Jono and said the other had all the ball talent, sort of slagged him as just a workhorse. Mentioned his nickname Bobby and now are calling him Bobby in the broadcast. Another comment was that in Riazor fans have been a bit impatient as whenever he shoots he goes high, that he has even been whistled for not getting it on the net, much like the shot he had tonight m. 30.

I think he is doing his job great, holding and going forwards when he can, covering a lot of ground. Perhaps he could do more, but that what a team is for, and Depor are doing just fine with him in the lineup.

0-0 at the half.

Edit: And they lose it in the last seconds of overtime, 1-0. Zaragoza relies on themselves to stay up. Depor had no shots on goal and their rival close to a dozen, some close, so the win was deserved. Discreet match for Julian and the rest of the team who were coasting at times.

I know Julian has been fabulous for Depor as of late, but I still think he is limited in the position he plays for Depor. He played in a a more forward role a couple of times this year, and they won both games, and I thought Julian was MotM in both. I understand that because of his success in that position they will keep him primarily as a defensive player, but for the CMNT should we not push him up and get the fullest out of him. In all honesty Depor has better players surrounding Julian and has the players to play him as a Defensive Midfielder, but Canada really doesn't and We need him pushing up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by N-A

England

Championship

Ipswich (Devos) v Hull (Ipswich need a win to get into the playoffs as do Hull for an automatic promotion spot)

Stoke v Leicester (Hume) (Leicester need a miracle to stay up. Lets hope Southampton lose to Sheffield Utd)

I'd actually like Leicester to go down and give Hume a new club. AS for Ispwich - Devos to the Premier League :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I'd actually like Leicester to go down and give Hume a new club. AS for Ispwich - Devos to the Premier League :)

According to the schedule both these games are on setanta sports later an today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

England Update

Spoilers Below!!!

Watford are losing, and Palace are winning. Palace is up by 2 so it looks like they are in position to take a play-off spot. But with Ispwich's goal difference they could jump into the play-offs if Watford lose (and they are down 1-0) and Wolves only manage a draw, as well as an Ipswich win...DeVos to the playoffs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...