Time for Hutch to move on??

I don't think that Hutch should move based on if Copenhagen makes Champions League or not. I've got to hope players (and fans) think a little bit more than just about 6 games... One could easily say, "look were that got Lars." Plus, even if Copenhagen get top spot there is no guarantee they get into the Champions League, is there?

As fans we should be thinking about Hutch's skill and not if he will be playing against Man U or Celtic.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

I don't think that Hutch should move based on if Copenhagen makes Champions League or not. I've got to hope players (and fans) think a little bit more than just about 6 games... One could easily say, "look were that got Lars." Plus, even if Copenhagen get top spot there is no guarantee they get into the Champions League, is there?

As fans we should be thinking about Hutch's skill and not if he will be playing against Man U or Celtic.

Yes, but his skill is what is at issue here. I am not saying he should definitely jump ship if Copenhagen dont win the league either, but he needs to carefully assess that option.

If Hutch isnt playing Champions league, he isnt playing against the best, and thus isn't developing his talents as much as most of us on this board feels he is capable of. Admittedly, UEFA Cup is still a high calabre competition though.

I for one think a change of scenery would be a good thing for Hutch, as I would like to see him in another league with a team that has a differnet style of play, allowing him to grow and add more to his game than I think he will if he stays in the Danish league for a few more years.

Yes, but skill and " playing against Man U or Celtic" kind of goes hand in hand. You will never set foot on the pitch with and against teams that you mentioned if you dont have any skill and we all beleive he is very skilled. Hopefully we are not being naive.

Furthermore, there is every reason to believe that he is one of the two or three players who have the most skill on our national team. And he is in his prime. It would be somewhat disppointing ( for him and for Canada) to learned that this is the best level of competeion that he can achieve. He's at better level than where he was when he first moved to Europe, now its time for the next step. Skilled players play for bigger and more recognized clubs against more intense comptetion.

I dont think that you can compare Lars and Hutch because Hutch has and always did have more potential as soccer player than Lars. Lars got an opportunity to go to Spurs directly from the Calgary storm and you might easily infer that the reason that is was Lars instead of Sutton, Theo Zagar, Pat Onstad, is because of good contacts and networks. I hope Hutch moves on.

IMO Hutch is way too comfortable at his current level of play. He needs to go somewhere to test himself and with a higher emphasis on ball possession...And yes i'm slightly biased, i simply cannot stand the FCK (and Danish league) style of play, it's like watching the English Championship.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

I totally disagree. I don't think that six games will improve Hutch's skill level a great deal. Instead its the week-to-week competition that's going to help him or hold him back.

Look at De Guzman, has he ever played in the Champions League? Is he our best player?

I agree that Hutch should think about moving, but not based on if Copenhagen make the Champions league or not.

But you cannot compare Spain to Denmark. Actually the comparaisons with Julian deGuzman is the best example that you can make for why Hutch needs to move to a better clubs and/or better league. Look at what moving to Hannover ( from saarbrucken) in the Bundesliga and then to la Liga did for his game.

Its not about six games champions league per se but rather playing against world class talent. without those six games in Champions league, what kind of relative world class talent will he be facing?

It's a difficult situation though: word is Copenhagen have no interest in transferring him and, thus, their fee is quite high. So Hutch would need to come and ask to be transfer listed. It's not really his style. I suppose his agent could work on this behind the scenes to find a suitable bid.

This is complete conjecture on my part, but I would think that both Man City and Aston Villa would be very interested in his services given his versatility and the general fit with the type of clubs they are building. Either would be an interesting move, especially because I don't think the comparable Spanish sides have cash to meet FCK's transfer demands.

quote:Originally posted by villus

He needs to move on and take himself out of his comfort zone. If he went to spain or even the EPL his game could really take off, he needs more demanded of him then he will get in the Danish league.

Tend to agree. He needs to take it up a notch.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Actually the comparaisons with Julian deGuzman is the best example that you can make for why Hutch needs to move to a better clubs and/or better league. Look at what moving to Hannover ( from saarbrucken) in the Bundesliga and then to la Liga did for his game.

That was my point, chances are he should move but NOT based on if he will play Champions League or not.

I would love to see Hutch at Man City. I get the sense the play a style which could really help his game out. Plus its an English club.:D

And just last year there was much handwringing about a possible move to Weder Bremen or Stuttgart! The general sentiment on this board so often seems to go "safe" with incremental progress. So I am glad to see so many advocating a move on for Hutch. Personally, I like to see players who move up and are put into positions where they are forced to compete for playing time. I think they gain more as players, especially on the mental side of the game. If Hirschfeld regains his starting job, frex, then it will do far more for the mental side of his game, so important in CONCACAF Qualifying, and he will be much stronger than if he was able to ride it out safely in Rosenberg.

@ Jamit: I would have liked to see the Hutch at Spurs, but that won't happen now since they just signed Luka Modric. I s'pose I could tolerate him signing for Man City. ;) Or for that matter, any EPL team other than Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, or Blackburn [:P]

Hutch is too good a player to have FC København be the apex of his career. He's deserving of a place in the roster of a Big Five league and I'm sure there's a team out there who'll take him on. Hell, didn't someone say that West Ham and Newcastle were interested in him at one point? Plus there's gotta be at least some interest in him just south of where he is now in good ol' Deutschland :D Too bad Werder Bremen already has Diego, Frings, and Baumann, because I'd rather enjoy seeing him don the green and white of my favourite German team. I certainly wouldn't be crying if he ended up at Stuttgart, either - thanks Martin for pointing out their alleged earlier interest.

Hutch is in danger in losing his automatic starting role for Canada. He hasn't been particularily impressive with our men since the Gold Cup last June (mind you, that is only 3 games). A think a move is necessary.

Totally disagree eh? To be honest, no one has ever said that those six games are going to increase Hutch's skill level dramatically. But that hardly means that those games are pointless. To be fair, playing in Champions League is where the best players on the planet are, and playing against that calibre of talent in such big matches is where players grow into total footballers. If Canada were to go into a must win match in WCQ, I guarantee the experience gained playing United/Celtic/Benfica (home and away) is more valuable than any matches Hutch ever played in Denmark.

Hutch is in danger of losing his automatic spot in midfield? To whom, Bernier? Imoff? You could argue the latter because he plays in Bundesliga 1, but he is also 30, Hutch is like 24 (hence more upside.

Yes, I'd like to see Hutch move on and play in a big four league, and do you know what? He will, he's still young.

I'd like to see him in La Liga or the Bundesliga. Hutch is a talented player no doubt, but I think he's destined for a mid table team in one of Europe's strongest leagues (like Julian De Guzman). And like Julian, Id rather Hutch catch on with a mid table Spanish side, as opposed to a mid table English side. I just feel like the glamour of playing in the EPL is overrated. And Perhaps he's even capable of catching on with a Bundesliga team like Stuttgart, Werder Bremen, Brussia Dortmund (or mabye even Beyern Munich). Who knows?

I don't know why exactly, I can't put my finger on it, but I just feel like Hutch at Athletico Madrid would be better than Hutch at Man City.

Either way, he's far from being displaced from his starting role with our MNT.

And I also don't buy this whole Champions League deal. Six games? That will only benifit him in terms of experience, not development of skill, how can people not see that?

When I was young I played in the national all star competitions like many other people, and watching Quebec or British Columbia push the ball around all game REALLY helped make me a better player.

It was a good experience and all but...

It's the week in week out competition which determines player development.

I seem to be in the minority but I don't think FC København is that bad of a club. I know the league is not amazing but they are a better supported team than several in the EPL, and Parken is a world class stadium in a world class city. They are in europe at one level or another every year. I don't think any player starting for them should take a move on lightly - he could end up stapled to the bench somewhere else just as easy.

That said if he could play week in week out at a higher level I agree with those who have said it would improve him as a player, I just don't know that he should press for a move for the sake of being in the EPL, a top or above average club maybe. IMO Hammers play worse football and they are not even bottom table....

Archived