CONCACAF U-20 will take place in Mexico

loyola

Jonny, tak. We 99.9% knew this a year ago... the qualifying is a bit silly.

CONCACAF (3 spots)

These are the final teams in the round preceding the CONCACAF final tournament to determine the 3 spots:

Anguilla

St. Kitts & Nevis

US Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands

Grenada

Trinidad & Tobago

Bahamas

Haiti

Jamaica

Cuba

USA, Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica got automatically placed in the final group, and as you would expect it's very much like the women's side of things where you could run these tournaments a hundred times and still the USA, Canada and Mexico would be the three that come out. Costa Rica is amazingly closing the gap with few resources, but they are too far back now and after them there is no one within a handful of goals.

UEAF (4 spots)

These are the final teams in the round preceding the European final tournament to determine the 4 spots:

England

Czech Republic

Austria

Ukraine

France

Ireland

Netherlands

Portugal

Germany

Scotland

Sweden

Hungary

Norway

Denmark

Belgium

Romania

Wales

Finland

Poland

Russia

Spain

Switzerland

Italy

Serbia

Think it's a little easier to come out of CONCACAF? :)

UEFA should realistically be 7 or 8 spots minimum.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA - Canada 0 - 1 FT

Match Commentary - It is the 2nd time that the US has lost to Canada in a U20 final, w/ the last time being at the 2004 WCQ

Well done ladies!!!

Hey, we got to be really proud of the Canadian WP as we now have 2 teams going to the big shows!!! Awesome results & hopefully more $ for the WP.

1. WNT Seniors to the Bejing Olympics

2. WNT U20 to the U20 WC in Chile

Statistics: CAN – USA

Goal Attempts: 2 – 10

Shots on Target: 1 – 6

Corner Kicks: 0 – 6

2 shots, 1 on goal and no corners? In 90 minutes? Did anyone watch it? Did we park 11 in the box? Did we revert to the long ball and a lone striker?

Couldn't find any telecast but the US Soccer MatchTracker Commentary said the below on Schacher's goal -

Canada just ran a textbook counter up the right side. Schacher was 1 v 1 on Marshall & beat her on the dribble into the box. She took a perfectly placed left-footed shot into the far side netting.

---------

Reading some of the other notes sounds like they played everything. Even killed time in the dying seconds when the US was trying to lock them down.

Would be interesting to see the game & compare to the stats but they got the win.

goal was a cracker by Canada and back line probably played their best game - they looked suspect against Mexico as they were continually penetrated up the middle. they also sat back way too much in 2nd half. a bit disappointed that they reverted to the long ball a bit too much compared to the other games. Entertainment value of matches wasn't much and doesn't seem to have progressed - watching penalty kicks in Mex/CR 3rd spot match was simply laughable as some of misses were atricious and other efforts were so weak.

overall skillset of the team is an improvement from previous teams. and their football intelliigence isn't as naive. 3-4 players displayed skillsets not usually seen with the Cdn women's side. Robinson's progress seems to have stalled. Filigno & Kyle come to mind as top offensive players. For a defender, Chapman had some nice moves and played the ball intelligently.

Good Goal Good Win I'm happy with the result even though the stats show the USA had more shots and corners. Just goes to show you can have all the stats you like its the result that really counts. Well Done Ladies

Good goal? It was a phenomenal goal. If she's left-footed it's the kind of goal Christiano Ronaldo would have been proud of, and if she's right-footed then God himself would have been proud of it.

The stats don't tell the tale at all. I thought we outplayed them in the first half and then in the second we played for 10, maybe 15 and then sat back.

Our back line did a great job. They came down the right a great deal and #11 the left back was particularly solid. The midfield played intelligently and within themselves and were able to dispossess at a high rate.

Filigno is a brilliant player. Felt bad for her 1v4 in the second half before she was replaced for Robinson, but no indication of her play at all. Her work rate is very high, and she has a brilliant mind under pressure and fatigued, which is a sign of a quality player. Other than milking the injury a bit she's a players player, and what a bright future.

Leroux played the first half and wasn't really a factor. Didn't see any signs of the pace against Canadian defenders, couldn't get by or around them and often beaten to open balls by them.

I would say the game is a blemish on DiCicco's record. In the first half they didn't have half our intensity, and they were panicking from the kickoff. Where the Canadians were relaxed, calm and playing with an almost zen-like sense of place and purpose, the Americans were scattered, rushing, and committing unforced error after unforced error. That played so fast they had absolutely no rhythm whatsoever. Which works for high-speed high-pressure tactics, but not for a possession-oriented passing attack. So I guess in a nutshell we were able to dictate the play to them.

The Americans had three or four quality chances in the second half, but again we were sitting back. Hard to say what would have happened if not for the goal just before the first half whistle. My guess is the Americans wouldn't have committed so much to the attack. Probably penalties.

I can't remember how they do the U20 Cup rankings? Does winning your region seed you higher, or do they factor in a bigger picture ranking system (i.e. friendlies, other tournaments, etc)?

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Good goal? It was a phenomenal goal.

I still think it was a good goal over a phenomenal goal.

The run was good and the shot was. As for the US defence there wasn't really one on that break. The US number 4 just fell over and the Goal Keeper couldn't stretch enough to save it.

Just saw the goal, and it was well taken indeed. Nice poise!

Hearing that our U20s are starting to play a possession game makes me hopeful. Once Pellerud is gone, I hope we find a coach who can move us futher along those lines. Our men should be the example for our entire program.

I think the new coach will be Paul James, based in Toronto. Evidently will move the program to BMO as Stronach has gotten him a sweet deal on a house in the Beaches.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think the new coach will be Paul James, based in Toronto. Evidently will move the program to BMO as Stronach has gotten him a sweet deal on a house in the Beaches.

That great news about the house... Paul deserves the benefit for his long and respectable work for Canadian soccer. Props to the Stronach family stepping up to help secure a new coach for the Womens National Team, let us hope that this movement will spur the players to perform well in China.

I hope all real passionate fans of the WNT will be in Toronto starting 20 July for the new ear of the WNT.

Archived