Is Jules THE form player from CONCACAF right now?

SthMelbRed

He may not be the best player, or the most talented player from a CONCACAF country, but he is in top form at the moment.

He is one of the most important players on what is now a top half side in a top four league in the world. In fact, as somebody stated in another thread, Deportivo is second in LaLiga over the second half of the season, so far.

Do these factors make Jules the man in CONCACAF at the moment?

Other things to consider are:

1. which other CONCACAF players are playing at an equal or higher level than Jules right now?

2. are any of those players as influential week in, week out as Jules has been over the past three or four months?

Other contenders: Suazo(Inter), Marquez and dos Santos (Barcelona), Guardado(also Deportivo), Jones(Sunderland), Howard(Everton).

As good as Suazo is, he is not seeing much action and if he does, it's usually as a late sub...he may see something tonight at the Coppa Italia match against Lazio but that is about it. When he does play, he seems to be quite effective. It's a pleasure to watch him. That being said, i would still take Jules anyday. Dos Santos..and this is a rumour only, is apparantly out of favour with management because of his prima donna ways....can't remember where i read it but it but most likely in World Soccer Magazine.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

I agree with thegoz... it has to be Michael Bradley, 15 goals from a midfielder in the dutch league is amazing. He has to be the most inform north american.

Impressive year but I wouldn't put him at the top until he can duplicate this at a higher level league. He may be a defensive mid for the US national team but he is playing as an attacking mid for Heerenveen in a 4-3-3 which is almost a striker role. Take the top three teams out of the Dutch league and you have a similar level to the 2nd Bundesliga where Friend also has 15 goals. Dos Santos has the potential to be better than DeGuzman but on current form I would give JDG the nod. There may be several CONCACAF players with more talent or potential than JDG but it is hard to find one playing in a top league who is having such a good season and is so important to his team than JDG.

As an aside if you think of all the CONCACAF players playing at a high level and put together a top ten current CONCACAF list based on how/where they are currently playing, Daniel Imhof would be a contender which may be a bit surprising. If Stalteri continues his form in Fulham he would be a contender as well.

Guest Jeffery S.

For consistent play it would seem he is one of the top players right now, especially with Márquez injured a lot this year.

Guardado his teammate is out for most of the season by the way, he is a key player but they are doing well without him.

Dos Santos is an ocassional sub at Barça, has a great future, but still a kid..

Finally, you can't compare scoring in Holland, which is defensively shockingly soft and low pressure (just watch a game, or even goal highlights, it is glaring), with top play in a top league.

That said, I would say the most important player for any top team in Concacaf is Donovan, like it or not. His standard playing for the US is incredibly high.

For my money The Guz is right up there but I'd vote Tim Howard. Key position, especially on a USA team which surrenders chances and he's looked very, very good from what I've see of him this year. Considering how much I ripped his play when he initially went to the EPL that has to say something.

Donovan is still a twat but I think he is maturing somewhat. Gets bullied still and pressure seems to weigh on him too much but I do feel he's better mentally than in years past.

I would go for Jules as well. The fact that he plays in arguably the best league aside, he is a key part of Deportivo's line up. It is easy to point to the fact that he doesn't score and say that he isn't doing well, but therein comes the Makelele role factor. You don't have to score goals to be an effective defensive midfielder. In a recent article from La Voz de Galicia(province where La Coruna is based), Depor coach Lotina pointed out Julian playing his position properly has been one of the keys to Depor's ascent in the league. Lotina goes on to say that Julian has learned to properly play his role as a support for both the defense and attack, and that his mastering of this role has played a big part in Depor's resurgence. Suazo is comparable in that he plays at a very high lever at Inter, but he isn't a regular and therefore not as influential on his team.

Bradley has tapered off a little...but it's still him for sure. Phenominal year.

McBride has shown Fulham what they've been missing all year since he returned from his broken leg. Really influential.

I'd put JDG right up there though...second behind Bradley.

Bradley has tapered off a little...but it's still him for sure. Phenominal year.

McBride has shown Fulham what they've been missing all year since he returned from his broken leg. Really influential.

I'd put JDG right up there though...second behind Bradley.

Obviously, if we were picking the best player, or most talented player, or player with most potential, nobody would place Jules above Dos Santos, Marquez, or even Suazo. However, at the moment, are any of those players performing at the level that JDG has maintained over the past few months. If you have any doubt about his importance in Depor's resurgence of late, look at the result in the match that he was suspended for. Jules is on fire lately, and it bodes well for the nats. Bradley and McBride may be playing well, but Bradley is in a far inferior league while McBride has only just returned from injury and hasn't played enough to merit discussion at this time. Tim Howard has been playing really well lately, even though Everton have tailed off badly in the past couple of months. For me, Jules is the man right now.

Top form for CONCACAF would have to be either Julio "Rambo" de Leon or Wilson Palacios. Leon was just awarded "best player of 2007" award at his team Genoa in Serie A. He is a regular starter and the guy who feeds Boriello. Actually Boriello said in an interview that he would only go back to Milan if Leon was coming with him (this was of course said in jest but he was saying it because Leon is his main suplier). Now Palacios is on fire at Wigan Athletic in the Premier. He too is a regular starter and eventhough he just joined the team in January, he is being considerd to be the best player at the team at the moment. Arsen Wenger was the one who told Steve Bruce about Palacios since he could not keep him because he thought he was stacked at mid...Now this guy has been so good that Manchester United is looking at him and Antonio Valencia for next year. This is part of an article that came out this week in England :

"Wigan boss Steve Bruce has warned old friend Sir Alex Ferguson he has no intention of selling two of his top stars - but appreciates the lure of Manchester United is irresistible.

Winger Antonio Valencia and midfielder Wilson Palacios have been linked with a summer move to Old Trafford as part of Ferguson's recruitment drive during the closed season.

The duo have been integral to the Lactics bid for survival since the arrival at the end of November of Bruce, who has often praised the talent both players possess.

That has led to inevitable speculation regarding their departure, even if Wigan manage to avoid relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

If Wigan do survive, Bruce is determined to build this summer, in particular around the likes of Valencia and Palacios, who are only 22 and 23 respectively."

Having said all that. Suazo is still the man!! 8 Serie A goals this year as a sub with Inter (all from open play). I think the only reason he hasent scored more is because he is still adjusting to the way Inter play. In Cagliari he was the lone striker, now he has to play with Ibra...

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by suavecito07

Top form for CONCACAF would have to be either Julio "Rambo" de Leon or Wilson Palacios. Leon was just awarded "best player of 2007" award at his team Genoa in Serie A. -----

Having said all that. Suazo is still the man!! 8 Serie A goals this year as a sub with Inter (all from open play). I think the only reason he hasent scored more is because he is still adjusting to the way Inter play. In Cagliari he was the lone striker, now he has to play with Ibra...

Suazo is an interesting player. The others are the kind you want on your team if you are looking for success. I think Julian is superior to all of them, no contest. Genoa is having a freak season, they are more likely to be in Serie B than where they are now, wait a year or two. Suazo seems to have reached his peak.

I'd like to make a claim for another Canuck as a top Concacaf player, but unfortunately, though Radz may be respected and DeRo too, nobody else is close to making a top 20 in the region. If anyone is upset I have not even mentioned Stalteri you'll have to excuse me after watching that sad excuse from Fulham today.

Archived