Amado Guevara signs with TFC

RS

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080409&content_id=149408&vkey=pr_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Toronto FC announced Wednesday the signing of midfielder Amado Guevara. In exchange for the right to sign the Honduran international, Toronto FC has traded future considerations in the 2009 and 2010 MLS SuperDraft to Chivas USA. As per team policy, financial details were not released.

"He's a different type of player, he can create and score goals," said manager Mo Johnston. "He's talented, and we've very happy that he's signed with us. It's a chance for him to resurrect his MLS career in Toronto, and I know our fans will embrace him."

Johnston is reunited with Guevara, 31, whom he coached while with the New York Red Bulls in 2006. The midfielder signed with the Metrostars arriving from Motagua (Honduras) in 2003. That season he was named Red Bulls' Team MVP, after scoring eight goals and adding five assists. In his time with New York, he made a total of 103 regular season appearances, including 100 starts, over four seasons.

His most notable season came in 2004, when he earned the 2004 MLS MVP after recording ten goals, and adding ten assists. Guevara's accomplishments also included Team MVP, and MLS Scoring Champion to wrap up an incredible season. He was named to the All-Star team that season and was honoured as the MVP of the game after scoring twice for the East in their 3-2 victory over the Western All Stars that was held in Washington D.C.

Guevara followed that with another stellar season in 2005, and 2006 taking Golden Boot accolades with the team scoring eleven, and six goals respectively.

His stint on the east coast ended in 2007 when he was traded to Chivas USA. After 4 games with the Los Angeles based club, Guevara accepted a loan move to his former club in Honduras, Motagua for the remainder of the season.

Internationally, Guevara is the captain and the all time caps leader (105) of the Honduran national team scoring 22 goals. His last goal came off a penalty on February 6, 2008 as Honduras defeated Paraguay 2-0 in a friendly in San Pedro.

Guevara will be available for selection Sunday April 13 in Los Angeles against the Galaxy pending the approval of his International Transfer Certificate.

Amado Guevara #20

Position: Midfielder

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 155

Birthdate: May 2, 1976

Nationality: Honduran

Last Club: Motagua (Honduras)

Roster Designation: Senior International

Who wants to enter the 'Guevara assaulted by teammate' lottery? How many games will the Honduran arsehole play in before Jimmy B can't handle his attitude?

I am sure Craig Forrest will love having to describe his play.

wow....you guys are a bunch of negative nancy's. :) (kidding of course)

At this point, I'd take Di Canio (well, on second thought, maybe not DiCanio but I would take any number of talented jerks if available) if it made TFC better. This is pro football. They don't all have to be the kind of guy you want to drink with to be a worthy part of the team.

I'm willing to give this guy a chance to prove he's grown up a bit. If he works hard, the fans will make him feel loved. If he sulks and mopes, then to hell with him. But for now, I'd rather be positive.

Hey I wish Amado all the best until September, at which point I expect Kevin Harmse to do his patriotic duty and end Guevara's career with a dirty two-foot challenge in practice right before we play them in qualifying.

Incidentally, TFC now has 19 players on their senior roster with this signing, so something has to give there.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Who wants to enter the 'Guevara assaulted by teammate' lottery? How many games will the Honduran arsehole play in before Jimmy B can't handle his attitude?

Oh, I'm pretty sure JB knows just how to handle Guevara's attitude. As dose Carver.

Maybe a year in the Third World has allowed the man an opportunity to refocus himself. Or maybe not. We're going to see soon enough.

Blanco has been getting absolutely wonderful reviews for his locker room attitude with Chicago and that's got to be an unexpected surprise to most. Of course Chicago has enjoyed great success since Blanco's arrival so I guess that makes things easier. Not sure if Guevara will get such an easy re-introduction to MLS.

From ESPN:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=524278&cc=5901

Sources: Toronto signs Guevara to four-year deal

Ives Galarcep

Toronto FC has signed Honduran midfielder and 2004 MLS MVP Amado Guevara, the club announced on Wednesday afternoon. After trading undisclosed conditional draft picks in 2009 and 2010 to Chivas USA for his rights, Toronto FC signed Guevara to a multi-year contract, with just the first year guaranteed, sources told ESPN.com.

Guevara is expected to join Toronto FC in Carson, Calif., where his new team faces David Beckham and the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday. Guevara played his final match for Honduran club Motagua last Saturday.

Guevara's arrival marks the second high-profile signing for Toronto FC in recent weeks. The club also signed French midfielder Laurent Robert, who has already established himself as a starter for the club.

Toronto has had a busy offseason moving out players and clearing salary cap space, including a recent trade with San Jose that sent midfielder Ronnie O'Brien to the Earthquakes for a major allocation (approximately $300,000) and a first-round draft pick in 2008. But in Guevara and Robert, the club is hoping it has added the firepower to escape the Eastern Conference cellar and match its off-the-field success on the pitch.

Guevara, 31, spent parts of five seasons in MLS, including four with the MetroStars. During that time, Guevara was one of the league's best midfielders, posting double-digit assist totals for three straight seasons and earning MVP honors in 2004. Toronto sees Guevara as the perfect playmaker to pair alongside MLS rookie of the year and U.S. national team midfielder Maurice Edu.

The MetroStars traded Guevara to Chivas USA for its Designated Player slot after the 2006 season but Guevara only played four games with Chivas USA before falling out with head coach Preki. After blocking an attempted trade to Toronto FC, Guevara was promptly loaned out to CD Motagua for the remainder of the 2007 MLS season.

Guevara has enjoyed a strong return to the Honduran league, leading Motagua to the Copa UNCAF title in December 2007.

Guevara's arrival in Toronto will reunite him with former MetroStars and Red Bulls head coach Mo Johnston, who is now Toronto FC's director of soccer after leaving his position as the team's head coach. John Carver has stepped in as Toronto's new head coach.

Ives Galarcep covers MLS for ESPNsoccernet.

This is a disgrace. Why draft a poor attitude, primma donna,

who is way beyond his best playing days, and a player disliked

by Canadians fans? Is this the "best" non-Canadian that Mo

could find? What happened to his scouting trip to South America?

Would we see TFC try to sign Carlos Ruiz in five years? Or

Diego Maradona ?

Maybe Guevara will teach better diving techniques to our developmental

squad. Are TFC fans gonna stick up for another poor selection?

Man I dunno ...

Guest Jeffery S.

A regular poster on this board is personal friends with Mr. McLean, maybe he would like to comment on this apparently excessive reliance on one agent's clients and how the possible financial benefits for the agent are not in line with an impartial signing policy on the part of the club. Especially when the manager has the same agent.

Not to rain on the anti-Barry McLean parade but, for some reason, I recall that all the articles written by Ives Galarcep refered to Patrick McCabe as Guevara's agent. Does Patrick work for Barry's agency?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Not to rain on the anti-Barry McLean parade but, for some reason, I recall that all the articles written by Ives Galarcep refered to Patrick McCabe as Guevara's agent. Does Patrick work for Barry's agency?

A better question might be: how do international or euro based athletes or coaches or some renown ( eg>: Mo Johnston ) with no prior relation or association to canada, end up with an agent based in Waterloo canada?

Prior to TFC, we had known of Barry Maclean as being associated with the handfull or so of canadian soccer players based in Europe. We knew that he was one of two or three certified agents in canada amongst a very long list at the global level. hence, there might be some things that we dont understand here.

Also, if ethical issues arrise or appear (regarding conflict of interest), one would think that they would be pretty obvious to an organization like like MLSEL if not the media. Dealing in contracts and agents is obviously nothing new to this kind organziation with two other pro sports clubs and who is also very image consious.

Here is my emerging theory, perhaps ( for practical or legal reasons) these players switch to domestic based agents who are more familiar with the statutes of that country when dealling in contracts with organizations in that country. In which case our specualtion about conflict might have been much ado about nothing. One day, I'll look it up on the FIFA webpage

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Yes, according to this link:

http://www.firstwavesports.com/firstwave/myweb.php?hls=10075

"In 2002 First Wave acquired the sports managment business of Canadian Licensed agent Barry MacLean. In 2005, First Wave acquired US agent Patrick McCabe and his stable of clients. With a strong nucleus of young American and Canadian players and the current roster of international players, First Wave is now a major player in the North American soccer industry. What began in 1997 as cooperation on various transfer deals has now evolved into the current company structure."

^ well, that explains it.

Is being represented by Barry "Moggi" McLean and his merry band of agents a prerequisite for securing a contract with TFC? I know of at 2 FIFA player agents based in Ontario who can't seem to get a single player even looked at by MoJo but Barry doesn't seem to have those issues.

Best of luck to TFC. Hopefully the flame lasts long enough for fans to enjoy a little bit. Four years is way too long for this guy. Hopefully the conditions to guarantee leave enough holes for an escape.

Eight players over 30 is not necessarily a bad thing but I am betting the development roster will get some playing time.

Contrast this roster to Dallas FC. Adrian Serioux, at 28 (soon 29) is the fith oldest player on their roster. Only three internationals over 30 (including a GK and squad player) compared to six at TFC.

On Mo's moves, consider Serioux and now youngster, Ibdus Ibrahim, for Ronnie O'Brien today.

This guy is really at the extreme end of the headcase scale but I really have to agree about vpjr's comments here about this being professional football.

We're not running a boys club here to see where we can find the most polite and chummy guys we can. We had such a clean cut outstanding team last year, problem: they sucked. He could be kicking homeless people in his spare time for all i care, as long as he produces on the field.

I have the same information as VPjr... The running joke around the MLS is that if you are not represented by Barry and crew, you will not get a contract at TFC. Mo and Barry are working together to pad their own pockets. I would love to see what the agents fee's paid for some of Barry's players are. I would be a lot of $$$ that the fee's are higher on average than other agents with other teams. I can't tell you who it is, but my information comes directly from a source within the management of TFC.

Archived