Impact Sign 3 New Players

1.Stefano Pesoli: Defender brought through the AS ROMA center recently played in C2.

2.Pato Aguilera: Midfielder Bolivian and veteran of the USL, as well as some MLS experience

3.Dwight Barnet: Striker former Lynn University stand out, drafted By Chicago of the Mls.

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=864&Focus=0

Also Impact annonce partnership with the Cage aux Sports which will be handling and managing all of their concessions at the new Saputo Stadium. For those of you outside of La Belle Province, Cage aux Sports is a very popular sports bar franchise.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

1.Stefano Pesoli: Defender brought through the AS ROMA center recently played in C2.

2.Pato Aguilera: Midfielder Bolivian and veteran of the USL, as well as some MLS experience

3.Dwight Barnet: Striker former Lynn University stand out, drafted By Chicago of the Mls.

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=864&Focus=0

Also Impact annonce partnership with the Cage aux Sports which will be handling and managing all of their concessions at the new Saputo Stadium. For those of you outside of La Belle Province, Cage aux Sports is a very popular sports bar franchise.

Been to a downtown location a couple of times and was quite impressed.

As always one has to watch the players play before judging but looking at the player's backgrounds I can't say I am very excited about these signings. Seems like a signing of yet more mediocre non-Canadian players which has been a worrying trend with the Impact (and our two other pro teams) in the last few years.

Agreed. Pato Aguilar sounds like another creative way of not giving Ribeiro the playing time he deserves.

Barnett well... We all know what the two-time PDL leading scorer did with us last season.

Pesoli I'm more optimistic about. Sounds like the guy who will replace Pizzolitto eventually.

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

Agreed. Pato Aguilar sounds like another creative way of not giving Ribeiro the playing time he deserves.

Barnett well... We all know what the two-time PDL leading scorer did with us last season.

Pesoli I'm more optimistic about. Sounds like the guy who will replace Pizzolitto eventually.

Mpenza this is twice in the last month we have actually agreed on something! What the hell is going on? :D

However, I can't say I am very excited about Pesoli either. A career lower league Italian player who has bounced between the third, fourth and fifth divisions. His last team was in the fourth division and he has been out of contract for over a year. I will admit you can sometimes find a guy who is better than his resume and I haven't seen any of these guys play but it seems to me there are numerous Canadians available who play at a similar level. In my opinion you go abroad for your star players. I will give the Impact props for getting two players who played in the Argentinian 1st division in the last two years. Even though only one of them worked out it was being ambitious, trying to get quality and something you could look forward to as a fan. I am not sure signing an out of contract 4th division Italian player is a similar type of move. It seems that we have seen a very long list of mediocre foreign players passing through the Impact in recent years. Just like TFC I think they are not trying hard enough to get Canadian players to fill these roles.

The Impact have proved over the years that foreigners will have to show something to stay with the team. Dawkins, Fabro, etc. all came in with fanfare before exiting quietly. The Impact usually make big changes (in and out) during the summer transfer period.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

If Pesoli (who's still very young) is even half as good as Di Lorenzo (who came out of nowhere) then he'll be a great signing.

Di Lorenzo did not come out of nowhere [:0] but out of the Argentine first division. He played over 70 games in the Argentine first division and has represented Argentina internationally at the U-20 level. That is a pretty good pedigree for a USL player and a hell of a lot better than the pedigree of an out of contract 4th division Italian player. In fact, the contrast in Di Lorenzo and Pesoli's pedigree was exactly my point in the previous post.

Two more foreign players are signed who also don't seem to be much to get excited about. Jefferson is a Brazilian player (who in a way replaces fellow Brazilian Moojen who was just released). The press release states he played in the "Greek First Division (Cyprus)" which seems a bit intentionally deceptive as what is meant is not the strong Greek First Division but the far, far weaker Cyprus first division on the greek part of the island. The French player, Joqueviel, is actually a player from the Impact reserve team the Attak. The seven new signings this year are: defenders Adam Braz (Toronto FC, MLS) and Stefano Pesoli (FC Rieti, Italy C2), midfielders Cristian Nuñez (Toronto FC, MLS) and Pato Aguilera (no club), as well as forward Dwight Barnett (Cape Cod Crusaders, PDL). Of those I am most excited about Braz and Nunez. I think Braz can play better than he did for TFC last year and he has always been a very good USL player while Nunez has a lot of potential. Maybe some of the other players will be better than their backgrounds suggest (though I can't say I trust DeSantis' player evaluation skills) but it seems like a pretty mediocre off season of signings for the Impact.

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=866&Focus=0

I think Joqueviel is a good signing. I've only heard good things about him so far, from last season at Trois-Rivières.

Pesoli I'm optimistic about.

Jefferson, they've been talking about him ever since he appeared with the team out of the blue in Europe. It looks like they really put all efforts on this signing. He better be good.

Braz, we know the guy and what he can do (including trail behind on the offisde trap and let Sebrango kill us in the playoffs), he's usually a reliable strong defenceman.

Nunez, we'll have to see. But the midfield already is crowded. I don't see him play too often this year.

Pato Aguilera really has nothing to do here. I hear they've seen him at that Charleston tournament TFC was playing at. Apparently, the Batttery wanted to sign him, but Montreal snatched him away (and probably will let him rot on the bench; we look more and more like Chelsea nowadays). Either that or it's just another creative way to leave Ribeiro on the bench... (you know... that guy good enough to get called up to the MNT training camps, but not good enough for Mr. De Santis?)

Barnett, well... we just fired Moojen. Maybe Barnett has other qualities. I don't see him get much playing time behind Gbeke, Jefferson and Gjertsen (if only De Santis could stop playing him as a midfielder...).

Archived