New Ipswich deal for De Vos

Phil_Ipswich

quote:Originally posted by nolando

wow - thats cool - i got the strong impression he was going to pull the plug after this season - good luck with fighting for a play-off spot - there are, of course, a lot of us cheering for you

Totally agree I remember reading hearing that Ipswich were not going to offer him a contract. This is good news and with Ipswich hanging around the Play Off places anything is possible.

According to the BBC Devos is looking at making a decision about the contract offer in the summer.

Guest ccopela
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Doesn't De Vos have a deal to work for CBC once the season ends? Sort of implying that he's retiring from soccer to get into broadcasting?

I think he may reconsider if they get promoted.

quote:Originally posted by N-A

Totally agree I remember reading hearing that Ipswich were not going to offer him a contract. This is good news and with Ipswich hanging around the Play Off places anything is possible.

According to the BBC Devos is looking at making a decision about the contract offer in the summer.

I suspect he'll make the decision about three seconds after Ipswich knows what division it's playing in next year....

quote:Originally posted by ccopela

I think he may reconsider if they get promoted.

There is no guarantee that he will move up with the team if they get promoted. Judging from the history of past Canadians in English football ( Brennan and Peschisolido especially) this is especially true.

Also, from what we have seen of him in his latter games for canada, Can we still say that he is the same player that he was at the Gold Cup in 2000.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I don't think Sami Hyypia would necessarily beat JDV in a 40 yard dash. There are some old, slow CBs not only in the EPL but playing regularly in Champions League. Well, one at least.

Are you talking about Maldini? He doesn't look that slow.

wow - thats cool - i got the strong impression he was going to pull the plug after this season - good luck with fighting for a play-off spot - there are, of course, a lot of us cheering for you

Many thanks. The division is still so open even at this late stage. No one is consistent and even second place isn't yet out of our reach, although unlikely.

I would guess that JDV would be more of a squad player next season whatever happens, but clearly the management have faith in him still. If his attitude rubs off on other players then that can only be a good thing.

Hyypiä isn't particularly fast. :D

I don't think Ipswich would have given him a new deal if they didn't intend on having him alongside in the Premiership. (But then again, they could pull another Wigan on him. I'm no telepath [:P])

If he becomes eventually becomes Canada national coach he will be the sixth</u> person from Ipswich to coach/manage a national team.

Sir Alf Ramsay (England)

Sir Bobby Robson (England)

Bryan Hamilton (Northern Ireland)

Frank Yallop (Canada)

George Burley (Scotland)

I cant think of many other teams to have produced so many national team managers...can you???

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Tractor Boy

If he becomes eventually becomes Canada national coach he will be the sixth</u> person from Ipswich to coach/manage a national team.

Sir Alf Ramsay (England)

Frank Yallop (Canada)

George Burley (Scotland)

I cant think of many other teams to have produced so many national team managers...can you???

That's a good question. I would guess that former players and coaches of River or Boca have coached all over Latin America and Argentina, probably more than that. Another club that may be close or have more is Ajax, given how many coaches they have produced.

quote:Originally posted by Phil_Ipswich

He'd actually be the seventh! So far the list reads:

Sir Alf Ramsey (England)

Frank Yallop (Canada)

George Burley (Scotland)

Bill McGarry (Saudi Arabia)

Terry Butcher is now the Scotland Assistant Manager... if that counts.

Hey Bruce Twamley managed the Canadian senior team as a caretaker manager. I think that should count. We won to boot (1-0 over FYR Macedonia IIRC).

I never thought this was IFTC's year, but if we can get on a good run it's there to be had.

cheers,

matthew

I think we can justifiably claim Twamley!

I reckon Town have left it too late to become consistent. The result at Colchester means we're only really looking at one place, along with four or five other clubs, unless someone else has a dramatic collapse.

Next year was always a more likely season to make a challenge for the Premier League, with the January signings more settled and some more additions in the summer.

Phil, I would like your opinions on a couple of points, Firstly, Bywater, why is he playing when we have a perfectly able keeper in Supple benchwarming at Falkirk, and secondly Billy Clarke, when we have been bemoaning losing Pablo, Walters, Kuqi etc why hasn't Jim exercised his options and bought these guys right back into the team.

And whilst I am on about Jim, is he being managerially & tactically naive when he focused all his efforts on getting Nugent & Healy, and do you think we have a serious opportunity of getting either of these players whatever division we are in next season.

Archived