MLS Montreal Supporters

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Cashcleaner, where were you when the Stynx, I mean Lynx were playing?

Until tickets for Toronto started selling in late 2006, I thought me and a select few of other die hard football fanatics were the only local footie supporters in the city.

I actually lived outside the GTA (and, in fact, out of the country for a few years) until quite recently. And in that time I supported my local community's soccer clubs. That should answer your question.

And no Mpenza, Toronto didn't get a team out of the blue. It took MLSE several millions of dollars and months/years of working with the league and the local governments before Toronto FC was granted to the city. Many fans have been following TFC since the idea of an MLS franchise was first proposed.

I know how the Impact fans love to use the history card when we talk about our respective teams, and they're absolutely right that they've been competing for 15 years or something like that - I know because it's always getting brought up. I mean that's great and all, but just talking about the glorious past isn't nearly as effective as looking ahead to the future.

quote:Originally posted by Cashcleaner

I actually lived outside the GTA (and, in fact, out of the country for a few years) until quite recently. And in that time I supported my local community's soccer clubs. That should answer your question.

And no Mpenza, Toronto didn't get a team out of the blue. It took MLSE several millions of dollars and months/years of working with the league and the local governments before Toronto FC was granted to the city. Many fans have been following TFC since the idea of an MLS franchise was first proposed.

I know how the Impact fans love to use the history card when we talk about our respective teams, and they're absolutely right that they've been competing for 15 years or something like that - I know because it's always getting brought up. I mean that's great and all, but just talking about the glorious past isn't nearly as effective as looking ahead to the future.

Ohh Cashcleaner!

[:X]

You are my favourite TOFC fan by far, no one else brings the lol's as much as you.

quote:Originally posted by Impactfanfirenze

Facebook group at 500 members.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4102433700

Was going to join the group then I read this as the description of what the group was about:

quote: For all those who think the stupid monopoly contract TFC has with the MLS is full of ****... then you've come to the right place!

NO CONTRACT CAN SILENCE US, GIVE US OUR MLS TEAM!!!

I think anyone with half a brain who has been following both the TFC and Montreal to MLS stories knows that the contract is the least of Montreal's worries. If the MLS wants to accept Montreal I think there is little doubt that TFC would waive the exclusivity clause as it is in their interest for Montreal to join. Plus the anti-Toronto rhetoric on some of the threads is over the top and sounds like it is written by 12 year olds. Without all of this crap I think you could probably get a lot of TFC supporters to join the group and boost the numbers significantly. At some point soccer fans should learn to work together in this country. There is nothing wrong with a friendly taking the piss at the another team's supporters but this type of crap doesn't do anything for our cause. If there is another Montreal MLS group that doesn't sound like it was created by 12 year old who know nothing about soccer and which will actually be a positive not a negative influence on our chances let me know and I'll sign up for it.

Grizzly, I agree. I joined, despite the rhetoric, because I think we need to gather in numbers to try to make the MLS MTL effort happen. I have maintained that while the rivalry with TO will be fun when Montreal gets a team, the real competition right now is rival cities that are vying for the next expansion teams...Vegas, St. Louis, Miami.

Yeah well it was written by an 18 year-old guy...

I didn't even notice the description had changed. It said something like "If Toronto can have one so can we" or something.

It wasn't that when I joined. It must've changed in the past few days.

I'll fix it.

Although Grizzly really is over-reacting, as always.

There is a lot of insecurity in that Facebook group.

The funny thing is that TFC supporters, to a man, WANT Montreal in MLS (and to a lesser extent, Vancouver). Yet the majority of Montreal fans that I've encountered online (not all) feel the need to act like complete and utter douchebags towards us.

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

We should all get together for an exhilarating night of line dancing.

Whatever.

UM02.jpg

I just find it funny how much many of your supporters define themselves by their "hatred" of Toronto. Even the link to the Ultras site says something about showing us who's boss. How about showing the rest of the USL who is boss, first?

It's dumb, really, when Montreal -- as a soccer hotbed and as a city -- has so much more to define themselves by than what Toronto thinks of them.

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

Someone started a stupid thread, yeah, so? :)

What are you crying about again?

If you really think I care enough to "cry" over this, you're reading way too much into it.

I'll see you guys in May.

I think most Toronto fans know that there are always a few that spoil an otherwise good effort--like the guy throwing flares onto the pitch in Columbus getting more attention than the 2499 other fans that were singing, brought banners and had a great time. Toronto fans will show up in droves to help support the idea of a Montreal team in the MLS and we welcome their support.

quote:If there is another Montreal MLS group that doesn't sound like it was created by 12 year old who know nothing about soccer and which will actually be a positive not a negative influence on our chances let me know and I'll sign up for it.

Grizzly, a new petition is up. Please sign and pass the word. The facebook page has also been edited.

http://www.petitiononline.com/MTLMLS09/petition.html

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think anyone with half a brain who has been following both the TFC and Montreal to MLS stories knows that the contract is the least of Montreal's worries. If the MLS wants to accept Montreal I think there is little doubt that TFC would waive the exclusivity clause as it is in their interest for Montreal to join.

Oh, for sure. It's laughable how some have thought TFC would even consider blocking a bid for another MLS team in Canada. Everything that I've heard has suggested it was a clause put in effect simply to ensure TFC gets enough competitive Canadian players under the previous allocation scheme. Those numbers have been changed, so now it's not even an issue.

• 5 months later...
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Whatever.

UM02.jpg

I just find it funny how much many of your supporters define themselves by their "hatred" of Toronto. Even the link to the Ultras site says something about showing us who's boss. How about showing the rest of the USL who is boss, first?

It's dumb, really, when Montreal -- as a soccer hotbed and as a city -- has so much more to define themselves by than what Toronto thinks of them.

How cute! Nice to see Montreal f ags...I mean fans showing us love. I can't wait for Montreal to join MLS so that we can beat them regularly.

Hey, there's a trillion years rivalry between MTL and TO and you Rudi & TFC07 and all people in TO are trying to feel us bad about some MTL people posting kinda "I hate TO" posts ? C'mon, put your head out the ground and grow up little dude. There's AT LEAST as many people in TO saying "F*ck you Montreal bastards" and "Just shut up you f*ing lil' french froggies" and all on every & any forum about sports (not to say on all-purpose forums).

So yeah, I feel so ashamed of guys saying "Let's show TO who's boss" and "I f*ing hate Toronto FC</u>", can't imagine how much I do... [}:)] That's so harsh ! ;)

quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

hatred from the TFC fans just makes me enjoy even more taking that trip down to section 114 at BMO to watch our boys lift the Voyageurs cup :)

Montreal should roll out this logo for the next VCup:

Montreal_Impact.gif

And then make space for an eighth star.

[8D]

quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

hatred from the TFC fans just makes me enjoy even more taking that trip down to section 114 at BMO to watch our boys lift the Voyageurs cup :)

What are you talking about? If you go to 114 at BMO chances are you are NOT going to enjoy anything...

Archived