Canada vs. Estonia post-match thread (R)

DJT

quote:Originally posted by villus

VS. mexico at home yes its established.

By what?

0-0 draw in Toronto in 2000

2-2 draw in Edmonton in 1997

1-2 loss in Toronto in 1993 winner scored in the 85th minute

2-1 win in Burnaby in 1990

1-1 draw in Toronto in 1980

Us playing Mexico above the Arctic circle in late November is a solution without a problem as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you watched the game, you saw the pitch being cleared by dozens of people. Turns out, they were fans.

From FIFA website: http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=est/news/newsid=721976.html#fans+help+friendly+ahead

The Estonian Football Federation hailed dozens of fans who shovelled snow from the Baltic country's national stadium on Wednesday and enabled a friendly against Canada to go ahead.

"We thank everybody who helped us to clear the stadium," said FA president Aivar Pohlak upon announcing that the Wednesday evening match would go ahead as planned.

With Tallinn hit by unexpectedly heavy snow as the national team prepared to face the Canadians, the association had late Tuesday urged fans to come and help clear the A. Le Coq Arena.

Over 40 supporters turned up in response on Wednesday, enabling the pitch to be playable in time for the 18:00 local time kick off, even though the snowfall had not let up, the association said.

It added that fans who no longer wished to spent 90 minutes in the cold would be allowed to sell their tickets back to the match organisers, rather than losing their money for failing to attend.

Besides threatening the football, the snowstorm blocked the rest of Tallinn, where municipal workers worked flat out to clear roads.

Elsewhere the storm, which had begun late Tuesday, also halted ferry traffic between the Estonian mainland and its Baltic Sea islands.

According to the Estonian Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology, the heaviest snow was in the southern town of Valga, where 21 centimetres (eight inches) fell overnight on Tuesday.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthyWhen, oh when, is somebody going to step up and blame the players. This core group has been together long enough (with each playing at a reasonable competitive level) that they should be getting some results.

The players have to take some ownership. They want high profile friendlies and yet cannot be successful against supposed minnows.

This is true but at the same time it is the coach's job to motivate the players and if he is not doing it he is not doing his job. So far I do not see the type of effort from the players under Mitchell that I expect. They seem very relaxed and lackadaisical just like they were under Yallop. In the past five years the only coach they have shown some spirit under has been Hart. Whether that is because of Hart or in spite of him is immaterial, we need to get the type of effort from the team we got in the Gold Cup if we are to qualify for the World Cup. So far I have not seen that under Mitchell and while it may be the player's fault it is his job to not accept that and demand more from the team.

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

By what?

0-0 draw in Toronto in 2000

2-2 draw in Edmonton in 1997

1-2 loss in Toronto in 1993 winner scored in the 85th minute

2-1 win in Burnaby in 1990

1-1 draw in Toronto in 1980

Us playing Mexico above the Arctic circle in late November is a solution without a problem as far as I'm concerned.

UMM pretty sure some of those games were played in cold ass weather which was a strategy to get them off their game. Also if you don't think that Mexico is a favourite against us in Canada you need to share the crack your smoking with the whole board. Not saying we cant beat them, but it would help to have everything in our favour, so go ahead and take them in the colder weather our players will be able to handle it better then theirs hands down.

The opposite can be said about when we go down to Azteca in ridiculous heat.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think the players and coaches should be blame for this result. It's the blame the CSA stuff that is annoying in the circumstances.

Funny, Guess indirectly the CSA is partialy at fault for the loss since Mitchell is their doing.

yeah, though I don't put much stock into this result--mostly because of the conditions--I am about a couple of things: The first: Dale. The second: Our teams' headspace.

Dale: He's not shown much yet, and I have to say that while starting Bernier over Imhof may have been questionable, sliding Bernier up to the right midfield flank was ridiculous. We need to do better than Bernier on that flank.

Headspace: I fear we've gotten a bit cocky post Gold Cup. Yes, we should play with confidence, but we still need to work hard and play smart, and we are only doing those things part of the time.

The one danger with this game is that the guys will write it off and not learn that we need to raise our level of play a couple of notches heading into qualifying.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Well, installing Vista SP 1 solved my video streaming problem :-)

Microsoft already came up with a Service Pack for their new brain child Vista? Can they not ever get anything right the first time? I will stay with my XP for a while longer.

Also if you don't think that Mexico is a favourite against us in Canada you need to share the crack your smoking with the whole board.

That's great speculation on your part. Very helpful and enlightening.

We have always held our own against Mexico at home. That is fact.

To that I would add my speculation that the talent gap between Mexico and Canada is smaller than it has ever been.

Some quick notes from Tallinn ....

I made my way from the hostel to the stadium around 3. I wanted to get there early to sort out tickets and really just to find where the actual ground was. When I got there the Estonian supporters were out in mass shovelling the pitch. Yes - the supporters. I joined in lent a hand. Being Canadian, apparantly I am a ringer when it comes to shovelling, lol

The Estonian FA was nice enough to comp tickets for anybody who picked up a shovel, so I watched the match for free. While waiting for the free ticket our boys came into the ground. It was nice to chat with them, take some pics and wish them luck.

The game ...... aaaah what can you say. It was a **** result on a **** night.

I did manage to see one TFC shirt, and the guy still has his seasons in 115. I took along a couple brits and a kiwi, and met up with some Canadian girls in the stands. There were 10 of us for the reds tonight. Good times!

Estonia ..... the land is cold but the people here are warm. It usually doesn't snow like this. This is the first real snow that they have received all year.

I'll write more and post some pics when I get home. The result puts a small sour taste on the trip, but Canada away is always a good time. Estonia makes it that much better.

Cheers!

this is so utterly disappointing.

yes mitchell should go, not because of this result, but because he has nothing to offer the program. but really theres no foreigner out there who wants the job. maybe ossie ardilles is still an option. i always preferred him over simoes, he has had some success in the UK and J-League. Realistically, if we fire mitchell, Hart would take over, and he is no better or worse than mitchell, maybe the players like him more, who knows. the gold cup success was not about Hart, but more about the players spending lots of time together before the tourny- and that will not happen again any time soon.

this is the team and the manager we are stuck with, and the only hope is that the players have the determination and desire to take it to the next level when WCQ rolls around.

That's great speculation on your part. Very helpful and enlightening.

We have always held our own against Mexico at home. That is fact.

To that I would add my speculation that the talent gap between Mexico and Canada is smaller than it has ever been.

Mexico is a good deal ahead of us in terms of MNT. Do I think we can beat them on our day, yes but I'm not a mindless fanboy that ignores all sense of reason.

This thinking just pisses me off. Canada shouldn't need to resort to this kind of silly strategizing - we have a wonderfully skilled team, maybe the best midfield in CONCACAF.

Lets play a positive style, take the play to the opponent and see what happens.

The list of things we need to qualify is long: better preparation, better coaching, better squad selection, better effort, better luck. I'd rather the people in charge focus on those, than on the 2008 Farmer's Almanac.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

the gold cup success was not about Hart, but more about the players spending lots of time together before the tourny- and that will not happen again any time soon.

They are playing two concacaf friendlies within a week of each other right before the first WCQ...

How long were they together before gold cup, where there was only one friendly i might add?

Mexico is a good deal ahead of us in terms of MNT. Do I think we can beat them on our day, yes but I'm not a mindless fanboy that ignores all sense of reason.

So, what, I pulled the entire history of our WCQing out of my ass?

In the last 30 years, we're even on goals against Mexico in Canada. EVEN.

Guest Jeffery S.

We are blaming the snow and then yap about putting home games for qualifying in tough spots in November where the weather will bother the Central American rival? Does not seem logical to me.

The good teams of Europe go to play in freezing conditions in Russia or Ukraine or Scandinavia in early December and in late February, and usually get through, beating teams who are inferior and who should find an advantage in the harsh weather.

So if you want to be competitive, you have to compete, and Canada does not compete with Mitchell at the helm.

And when did I ever say that we should try to play them in a snow storm? I never said anything but if your playing a team that is more skilled on the ball than you and move it around better and it happens to be snowing then the benefit should go to the less skilled team. Have you never played soccer before in your life???? I've played on both ends being the superior and inferior team and when the field was garbage and it was raining etc it almost always helped the weaker team out.

I don't think we should schedule games in the Yukon but I think we should try to keep the temperature colder if possible and use that to our advantage anything that takes the opposition out of their comfort zone.

So, what, I pulled the entire history of our WCQing out of my ass?

In the last 30 years, we're even on goals against Mexico in Canada. EVEN.

What the great does that mean???? The closest result you posted was 2000 completely different teams then on both sides and that was the earliest match. Why don't you show me how the US and Canada should be close based on results containing before 1994, that does';nt hold water DUCY?

What the great does that mean???? The closest result you posted was 2000 completely different teams then on both sides and that was the earliest match. Why don't you show me how the US and Canada should be close based on results containing before 1994, that does';nt hold water DUCY?

I think you may be having some logic issues. (Perhaps general brain power issues, but I don't want to judge)

Why is it that you think we should schedule our matches based on weather, unless it is based on our past history?

Also, I think the rest of the board might want to have their thread back...so I'll agree to disagree with you on this, and not discuss it further.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

They are playing two concacaf friendlies within a week of each other right before the first WCQ...

How long were they together before gold cup, where there was only one friendly i might add?

the friendlies prior to SVG are excellent, but IMO WCQ doesnt REALLY start until august. i think well get 2-3 days before that game after not being together in months.

i believe the gold cup team had 10-14 days prior to the tourny

Archived