Argos at BMO a step closer?

AvroArrow

I know we've all heard the rumours in the past, but on my drive to work this morning one of my local radio stations reported this saying Toronto City council was hoping to make this happen.

If I have to watch games with CFL football lines painted on the field, I think I'll freak out......

^actually, the talk is that MLSE wants no part of the Argos at BMO. The city does because the more days they can fill the place, the more money the city accrues. They made $900K last year and I guess they figure if you can get another 10-12 games per year in that facility, that will be even more money for them.

Nonetheless, it would be horrible. BMO is not perfect (yes, I know the field is not real grass) but the sightlines are outstanding and its cozy. The stadium can be expanded for soccer without ruining the coziness of the facility. I don't believe you can expand it for pointyball without pushing seats back.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^actually, the talk is that MLSE wants no part of the Argos at BMO. The city does because the more days they can fill the place, the more money the city accrues. They made $900K last year and I guess they figure if you can get another 10-12 games per year in that facility, that will be even more money for them.

Shouldn't the CSA be filling the stadium (or attempting to) with those 10 or 12 dates?

^ 10-12 dates per year might be a slight stretch. However, yes, I think the city would expect a few more national team matches at BMO.

I wonder if the city of Toronto is actually worried that they'll be earning less at BMO for 2008 because there won't be a high profile event like the U20s to bring in large crowds so now they are clamouring for the Argos. Just a thought but it strikes me as possible that there will be a drop off in revenue flowing to the city coffers as a result of no major international event.

I think you are right VPjr. Also, I think its pretty evident that BMO Field is not a viable concert venue in this city either. The concert estimates they made were way off base. Most of the big outdoor summer concert events have already been announced and not a single one will be at BMO Field.

I think the CSA will be lucky to host 2 events/year at BMO Field, inspite of the original agreement (which calls for 6 events, iirc).

The next logical/probable tenant is the Argos after all these other avenues have been squeezed dry.

^ you know, I totally forgot about concerts. They've only had 1 at BMO I think. They've got the problem that the Ampatheater across the street is a better venue for concerts. Toronto has so many venues that are suitable for concerts that it's unlikely BMO will get used much.

Maybe the Leafs will want to play an outdoor game there...LOL. Too bad the seating capacity is almost identical with ACC.

I'm worried that this Argo think might happen but the city will have to fork out a lot of money to make the stadium viable and I dont know if they've got the stomach for a 20 million dollar stadium expansion bill when they can barely afford to fill potholes

What a good deal the city got out of this whole thing. If my memory is correct, their percentage share of the investment in the project was less than what MLSEL ponied up as well as what each of the other two levels of govenernment ( Feds and Prov) contributed. Yet the city, unlike the other levels of government, got ownership of the facility and the revenues that accrue to it.

When you look at the $900,000 surplus given that the city's share was something like $10 million, that means roughly a 9% rate of return in the first year. Pretty damn good I say.

With the place sold out again this year, they should still come out on the plus side even without the doozen or so dates that the U20 WC presented.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

What a good deal the city got out of this whole thing. If my memory is correct, their percentage share of the investment in the project was less than what MLSEL ponied up as well as what each of the other two levels of govenernment ( Feds and Prov) contributed. Yet the city, unlike the other levels of government, got ownership of the facility and the revenues that accrue to it.

The City gets 1/2 the revenue....MLSE gets the other half and MLSE got the naming/sponsorship rights for their investment. The other levels of government get no direct financial repayment (although they get all of the GST/PST and income taxes that the facility generates). So everyone gets something....if I was ranking them, I would suspect MLSE has earned more then the City....just a guess.

quote:When you look at the $900,000 surplus given that the city's share was something like $10 million, that means roughly a 9% rate of return in the first year.

Is the $900k the City's share or the total. If it was the total, then the City's share is $450k....so they earned +/- 5%......if you factor in that the City had to borrow the money then they probably +/- break even!

quote:Originally posted by Elias

The city didn't put any cash into this did they? Wasn't the $10 million the "value" of the city owned land that BMO was built on?

The City definitely put in $10 million. The land value is simply included in the 'cost' of the stadium (or the value of the stadium).

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The City definitely put in $10 million. The land value is simply included in the 'cost' of the stadium (or the value of the stadium).

The City contributed +/- $10 million to the construction costs and</u> donated the land which I think they also valued at around the same number. So if you include the "value of the land" their $450k return on a $20 million investment is about 2.25% which would not cover the cost of borrowing the $10 million in cash that they invested.

Likely the way they look at it is the land was there anyway not producing income so they are making 4.5% on the cash which would (+/-) cover the cost of the cash so they facilitated the construction of a stadium asset and the development of a new business venture at a zero net cost.....not a bad bit of business for a municipality.

• 1 month later...

Keep the f*ck out of BMO.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2008/05/06/cfl_construction/

Sportsnet.ca - Five CFL teams, plus the ownership group of a conditional Ottawa franchise, are aggressively planning on either building new stadiums or refurbishing old ones according to the Globe and Mail.

The current franchises looking at construction projects are the Montreal Alouettes, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Saskatchewan Roughriders according to the paper's website.

The Lions' B.C. Place stadium is also expected to undergo a makeover, while it is rumoured that a potential redesign of Toronto's BMO Field could make the Argonauts a tenant.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Keep the f*ck out of BMO.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2008/05/06/cfl_construction/

while it is rumoured that a potential redesign of Toronto's BMO Field could make the Argonauts a tenant.

Au contrere mon ami! Let the Argos have BMO AFTER TFC get a larger soccer specific stadium with real grass!

TFC could use with a modest expansion and the original reason for sharing the stadium costs are now a moot point.

City council in Toronto is stupid? You should try life in Vancouver. At least you have a stadium. Anyway, they would have to rip down one end of the stadium to make CFL football fit there. Also, how wide is the pitch at BMO? Ripping out the lakeshore end would be beyond stupid, upsetting their most loyal fans to the nth degree, to say nothing of how much they'd be ticking off everyone for even considering this idea in the first place. Ripping out the other end (élite end? Posh End?)would put the seats at that end in the street from what I've seen, mind you that's only from Youtube and the boobtube, so what do I know?

Archived