Rosenlund to TFC

Gaucho

Good for Tyler and I hope to see him earn his way to a proper roster spot and a decent payday.

I wonder how much these MLS teams do for the kids on the DEV lists to help offset the cost of living in a big city.

$13K won't get you far in Toronto. I wonder if "under the table" arrangements exist for housing and transportation?

mlsintoronto was asked about this over on the RPB board:

Q: do you help out the DEV roster guys with housing allowances or some other kind of assistance/compensation?

A: not allowed. That would be salary cap circumvention.

Q: So MLSE couldn't say, buy a few townhouses and charge cheap rent to anyone on a dev contract?

A: correct. Remember a few years ago the timberwolves lost a draft pick?

Q: What would the legality be of, say, other people (not associated with MLSE) offering to rent rooms/houses to dev contract players for, say, 10 dollars a month?

A: I'd say have at it. However I think if I was a young player and an old man who smelled like pee was offering me an apartment for $10 a month I'd probably run the other way.

Q: Has anyone approached the league with regards to this? Seems to me that setting up a billet system like they do in junior hockey would only benefit the teams and thus the league as a whole.

A: yes. It is a loaded discussion but...yes.

Guest speedmonk42

Q: What would the legality be of, say, other people (not associated with MLSE) offering to rent rooms/houses to dev contract players for, say, 10 dollars a month?

A: I'd say have at it. However I think if I was a young player and an old man who smelled like pee was offering me an apartment for $10 a month I'd probably run the other way.

===============

This answer should go into some soccer hall of fame quotes with the best of them.

Rosenlund will get 17.7K. The appearances are $250 per appearance. Lombardo did a lot of these this season.

and the guy probably gets help from family, like a student going away.

If he plays a certain number of games he gets bumped to the senior minimum (33K this season)

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

===============

This answer should go into some soccer hall of fame quotes with the best of them.

familyguy.jpg

quote:Originally posted by jimmynow

Rosenlund will get 17.7K. The appearances are $250 per appearance. Lombardo did a lot of these this season.

and the guy probably gets help from family, like a student going away.

If he plays a certain number of games he gets bumped to the senior minimum (33K this season)

Lombardo lives in TO and take the GO Train to BMO Field.

A bunch of the RPB's have mentioned they've seen him. I remember he said in an interview that he's glad to be in Toronto because he wouldn't able to afford to play for TFC if he wasn't able to live w/ his parents.

IMO. dev. rosters should be at 30k (or the league should let teams have houses for players) and senior rosters should be ATLEAST 40k. How can these guys concentrate on training and improving if they have to worry about having a roof over their heads?

Could MLSE give him a secondary job as a liason with the OSA teaching soccer to kids?

Although if they are paid $250 an appearance I guess they could live pretty comfortably by making 4 appearance per week as I assume they get paid for appearances in the off-season too.

Perhaps some of the team's sponsors could help the kids on Dev contracts by giving them the opportunity to be in some of those commercials as they probably pay a lot better than normal appearances.

Also, if the Dev contract players show up at a game and sign autographs for fans and pose for photos, does that count as an appearance?

Archived