the Lombardo Love-in!

teddym

Hey rick10 you are the hammer on this threads nail!

> However i do think that it has a lot to do with the way the coach (csa) wants canada to play. Long balls and someone that can run chasing it

I've been watching Canada since the late 70s and that is still the way we seem to teach soccer and hence play it at most levels.

> I was actually surprise (in a good way) when our NT senior team played the gold cup ,they were actually passing the ball and playing beautiful soccer and they went far .

Wasn't that a sight for sore eyes! I tuned in expecting the usual and got treated to that! I kept checking the screen to make sure it was really Canada.

> I think we should take skills over fitness (lombardo can run )

Getting on players quickly and making them pass before they are ready or before their teammates are ready to receive is good if you've got a whole team capable of doing it and your opponents aren't great 1 on 1. Not the pool we are in! That is more of the full court press defense strategy not the backbone of your offense!

Even when we play the long ball we don't do it effectively. Watching the U20s I was amazed at Chile, Argentina and Austria. When they played a long ball they got it! Austria was fun to watch because they had one player who they would kick it 50 yards to and he would just head the ball left or right to his teammates feet repeatedly.

Someone needs to explain to coaches at all levels that nobody does the long bomb on every possession. Control, short to medium with the occational long bomb to keep them honest and catch them off guard.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

> However i do think that it has a lot to do with the way the coach (csa) wants canada to play. Long balls and someone that can run chasing it

I've been watching Canada since the late 70s and that is still the way we seem to teach soccer and hence play it at most levels.

> I was actually surprise (in a good way) when our NT senior team played the gold cup ,they were actually passing the ball and playing beautiful soccer and they went far .

Wasn't that a sight for sore eyes! I tuned in expecting the usual and got treated to that! I kept checking the screen to make sure it was really Canada.

Getting on players quickly and making them pass before they are ready or before their teammates are ready to receive is good if you've got a whole team capable of doing it and your opponents aren't great 1 on 1. Not the pool we are in! That is more of the full court press defense strategy not the backbone of your offense!

Even when we play the long ball we don't do it effectively. Watching the U20s I was amazed at Chile, Argentina and Austria. When they played a long ball they got it! Austria was fun to watch because they had one player who they would kick it 50 yards to and he would just head the ball left or right to his teammates feet repeatedly.

Someone needs to explain to coaches at all levels that nobody does the long bomb on every possession. Control, short to medium with the occational long bomb to keep them honest and catch them off guard.

the long ball does work as a surprise factor , the best teams use it a lot for counter attacks and stuff. However we need to balance it out between ball possession and long balls.

Most of our opponents know that we keep playing long balls so they only worry about that. It may work if we had someone up front that can actually keep ball possession and has an effective shot , however , lombardo is not that kind of guy , at least no yet.

I think the kid works hard and thats how he got where he is now , plus he is the perfect model for the csa type of soccer they want us to play. In all honesty I refused to believe lombardo is the best we got out there, I've play rep for 4 years and i seen better players than lombardo , however they do not match the csa profile because they are short anf skillful.

Lets take a look at argentina and chile in the under 20 world cup , they were great and their players size average 5 8 ( around that)

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

the long ball does work as a surprise factor , the best teams use it a lot for counter attacks and stuff. However we need to balance it out between ball possession and long balls.

Most of our opponents know that we keep playing long balls so they only worry about that. It may work if we had someone up front that can actually keep ball possession and has an effective shot , however , lombardo is not that kind of guy , at least no yet.

I think the kid works hard and thats how he got where he is now , plus he is the perfect model for the csa type of soccer they want us to play. In all honesty I refused to believe lombardo is the best we got out there, I've play rep for 4 years and i seen better players than lombardo , however they do not match the csa profile because they are short anf skillful.

Lets take a look at argentina and chile in the under 20 world cup , they were great and their players size average 5 8 ( around that)

> the long ball does work as a surprise factor , the best teams use it a lot for counter attacks and stuff. However we need to balance it out between ball possession and long balls.

Bingo!

> Most of our opponents know that we keep playing long balls so they only worry about that.

Exactly!

> I think the kid works hard and thats how he got where he is now ,

I think the best thing for Lombardo would be to go to Italy and they would force his development in the skills he is weak on. Running and putting in a good effort he already has.

> however they do not match the csa profile because they are short and skillful.

I think the CSA would say "sorry Mr Messi we don't think you will fit in with our style, we want taller players".

> Lets take a look at argentina and chile in the under 20 world cup , they were great and their players size average 5 8 ( around that)

One of the great things about soccer is that it isn't just a big man's game. If you have speed, quickness, ball control and tenacity you can be a star. Just not for CSA teams.

quote:

I think the best thing for Lombardo would be to go to Italy and they would force his development in the skills he is weak on. Running and putting in a good effort he already has.

Lombardo already spent three years in Italy and they did not develop the skills he was lacking. I am not impressed by his play at all and don't see the raw skills waiting to be developed in him like I do with Ricketts. However, if he does have any skills to be developed I doubt Italy is the place for him to go because it didn't work for him so far despite being in the program of a very good team. I don't know if this is due to faults in the Italian development system (it does seem most of our players who have gone there have not progressed very much) or faults in Lombardo's abilities or work ethic. However, if a change of soccer climate is needed I think Holland and several other countries would be preferrable to Italy.

I do have to say that it seems like this guy has had a plethora of amazing opportunities to develop and has failed to do so. He has been in the system of a Serie A team, played for TFC at a time when they were short players resulting in playing time far in excess of what his play merited and has been consistently called up and played by our national teams. I hope he does well like any Canadian player (no use hoping for someone to fail) but he really has to start producing. He is one of the few Canadian TFC players that I wouldn't give Mo much grief about were he to cut him because based on his play so far he truly does not belong on TFC. I really don't understand Dasovic bringing him in against the US when we needed a goal considering it is about a year since he scored at any level.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm not sure it's a misidentification case when a pretty good italian youth academy did recruit him a few years ago.

At 20 yrs old, I say he's still fairly young and still have the chance to become a good pro and I don't really how he became the scapegoat in some of the U-23 game thread when he saw limited time....

Hmm...the whole Atalanta seems a little moot to me. Nothing came of it and he wasn't picked up by another team. It would seem that after 2 years they came to the conclusion that he just wasn't good enough or wasn't going to develop into they player that they thought he would.

When I look at Will Johnson, I see talent and great future potential. When I look at Lombardo, I scratch my head and start humming:

Is that all there is, is that all there is

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing

Let's break out the booze and have a ball

If that's all there is

- Peggy Lee

Posted on bigsoccer.com - explains everything!:

^^ yey Lombardo's parents are high in the canadian soccer pyramid and that's why he's on the team, his mom and dad are friend with one of the director over there same goes for Jonathan Beaulieu Bourgeault

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^^ yey Lombardo's parents are high in the canadian soccer pyramid and that's why he's on the team, his mom and dad are friend with one of the director over there same goes for Jonathan Beaulieu Bourgeault

Ah...sweet nepotism. At least Momar Khadafi's son was skillful on the ball.

quote:Originally posted by teddym

This kid needs his own thread. He draws more attention for doing less than any soccer player in Canadian history. He's young, he's young, they say. They've asked him to do too much, they say (ie, during TFC's Dichio-less, Cunningham-less goal drought). His hair's too long, get the kid a haircut! He's a target man! yelled one TFC supporter, failing stupidly to explain young Andrea's lack of goals. His pasta was too al dente! He doesn't get any service! He writes sh1t music for Celine! His shoes pinch his feet! Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You're on crack. About 99% of Lombardo posts are bashing in nature. Just like yours.

Question...what was Rob Friend doing at 20? I'd like to see Lombardo develop faster than he is, but I'm not prepared to throw him under the goddamn bus. As others have said, he isn't anywhere near the MNT at this point of his career so, unless you're a TFC fan, I'm not sure why you are devoting so much energy to the kid.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

You're on crack. About 99% of Lombardo posts are bashing in nature. Just like yours.

Question...what was Rob Friend doing at 20? I'd like to see Lombardo develop faster than he is, but I'm not prepared to throw him under the goddamn bus. As others have said, he isn't anywhere near the MNT at this point of his career so, unless you're a TFC fan, I'm not sure why you are devoting so much energy to the kid.

He's not even close to the MNT, but he was all over our U20 (2 cycles) and U23 teams.

Anyways, good luck to him I hope he has a great season at TFC. Just no more callups until then please.

If I was Lombardo's coach, I will play him as a Central Defender, IMO that's the only place he could fit in any team. Is too bad no body can see this but what else is new.

I'm sure he learned the principles of defending in Italy!!

quote:Originally posted by Eric

If I was Lombardo's coach, I will play him as a Central Defender, IMO that's the only place he could fit in any team. Is too bad no body can see this but what else is new.

I'm sure he learned the principles of defending in Italy!!

A concept worth considering.

huh?!? Lombardo's dad is a real estate agent that works in the same office as my father-in-law...

^ A central defender doesn't have to be a bodybuilder, Andrea is strong, fast as a central defender, brave, hard working and good in the air. A central defender doesn't have to be creative or skillful either and he has those attributes. He is young, he can learn and he has to realize the only box he should be close to, is he's own box. To top it all, he is of italian descent so defending has to be in his DNA somewhere.

Source????

If its posted on an internet forum by some anonymous guy, then it must be true right! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Source????

If its posted on an internet forum by some anonymous guy, then it must be true right! Honnestly, I expect more than to take these kind of sources from someone who has worked to some degree in media business.

Not for me to say, but I think he was probably joking:

"Posted on bigsoccer.com - explains everything!:"

Archived