the Lombardo Love-in!

teddym

This kid needs his own thread. He draws more attention for doing less than any soccer player in Canadian history. He's young, he's young, they say. They've asked him to do too much, they say (ie, during TFC's Dichio-less, Cunningham-less goal drought). His hair's too long, get the kid a haircut! He's a target man! yelled one TFC supporter, failing stupidly to explain young Andrea's lack of goals. His pasta was too al dente! He doesn't get any service! He writes sh1t music for Celine! His shoes pinch his feet! Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Youch.

He's been given plenty of opportunities to show where he should fit into the NT and I'm going to have to say he doesn't. Not at this point and probably not for some time into the future.

And so what? Is he suppose to be a part of the NT program from cradle to grave? Unlikely for any player and especially unlikely for Lombardo from what I've seen the last year or two.

He's light years away from making the senior squad and by the time the U23s have another tourny he'll be too old so we won't be hearing his voice called by the match commentators any time soon.

Richard Hasting played his way off the NT and then needed 4 years and a depleted Canadian squad to play his way back onto it. That's just the way things go. Peaks and valleys. That's football.

quote:Originally posted by teddym

This kid needs his own thread. He draws more attention for doing less than any soccer player in Canadian history. He's young, he's young, they say. They've asked him to do too much, they say (ie, during TFC's Dichio-less, Cunningham-less goal drought). His hair's too long, get the kid a haircut! He's a target man! yelled one TFC supporter, failing stupidly to explain young Andrea's lack of goals. His pasta was too al dente! He doesn't get any service! He writes sh1t music for Celine! His shoes pinch his feet! Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Why don't we start a thread on every Canadian kid who has underachieved? That would be productive.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I really don't want to comment on another dumb post about Andrea Lombardo. Instead, here's a video of Lombardo scoring a goal:

Wow...that's possibly the ugliest goal I've EVER seen?! Talk about Route-1.

Still...con't knock a goal against Brazil. How long did it take you to find a Lombardo gaol anyways, I hear they're colelctors items [xx(]

I think the kid still has a future...man, it's WAY too early to write him off. He has been pretty badly out of his depth at both club and country level lately...let's give him a season or two to devevlop before we even begin to write him off long-term.

quote:Originally posted by Aljarov

Wow...that's possibly the ugliest goal I've EVER seen?! Talk about Route-1.

Still...con't knock a goal against Brazil. How long did it take you to find a Lombardo gaol anyways, I hear they're colelctors items [xx(]

I think the kid still has a future...man, it's WAY too early to write him off. He has been pretty badly out of his depth at both club and country level lately...let's give him a season or two to devevlop before we even begin to write him off long-term.

Haha. It didn't take me long at all. I collect Canadian soccer video. Plus, I had already isolated that particularly goal in order to email it to Alberto, a great poster on these forums who was always nice to update us about Canadians in Italy. Alberto sadly passed away now, but I remember how happy he was when he saw the goal.

Anyways, that goal is classic Canadian soccer. Hell, Canada's first goal against Mexico at the U-23 tournament is oddly similar in build up.

I agree about the wait and see approach on Lombardo. To be honest, there were only 2 players from this U-23 ready to step to the full NT right now anyways. They will all require work to make a step to the next level.

Unfortunately in this young generation coming up we don't really have any prolific strikers, Lombardo was tried as a target man but it does'nt work because he does'nt score enough and isnt strong on the ball.

Sadly I don't see him ever being a peice of the NT but you never really know he could develop a lot but I don't see it for another 5 years minimum with guys like Friend, Occean, Hume all ahead of him.

I really don't want to comment on another dumb post about Andrea Lombardo. Instead, here's a video of Lombardo scoring a goal:

He also scored against Brazil a few days later at Swangard. 2 goals in 2 games. He was on a roll!![:P]

Against Brazil no less. Too sweet. Hustle and outwork the defender and hey look there's a wide open net.

Too few and too far between. I'm not a basher but I do think it is time we look at other.

I like the idea of a Lombardo thread. Every other thread is now safe to read. [8D]

Not sure why Lombardo gets scapegoated and attacked so often, and I don't see how it is useful either. I don't think Wyn Belotte got roasted as often, and the dude is a bit of a farce.

Its as though so of you take it personally that Lombardo is on our national teams. Yeah, it seems that he'll have a tough time cracking the senior side, especially as we are starting to grow some half decent strikers, but give the lad a break.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Not sure why Lombardo gets scapegoated and attacked so often, and I don't see how it is useful either. I don't think Wyn Belotte got roasted as often, and the dude is a bit of a farce.

Its as though so of you take it personally that Lombardo is on our national teams. Yeah, it seems that he'll have a tough time cracking the senior side, especially as we are starting to grow some half decent strikers, but give the lad a break.

Well, he probably represents the ongoing misidentification of talent that continues to plague Canadian soccer. He is probably really fit and runs his ass off.

I am friends with a nation team player who was cut from the Mexico 86 team for someone not unlike Lombardo. Ran around a lot, but didn't get much done (it appeared to me that he had a fascination with the turf as he spent a lot of time prostrate on it):

"A forward, Garraway was a regular in the Canadian line-up from 1983 to 1985 (he played in the world cup only briefly, contrary to this Wikipedia entry - correct me if I am wrong). Despite his 22 appearances however, he failed to score any national team goals.

Garraway was also a member of the Canadian Olympic team that reached the quarter-finals of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, playing in 8 qualifying games. He scored once in qualifying in a 1-2 away loss to Mexico."

My friend was/is a far more talented player, but fitness won the day.

Lombardo Sucks. I keep hearing he is young and he is going to develop, well he is 23 now so I don't think you can cut him any slack anymore. If he doesn't have a good season with TFC this year time to cut the kid loose. Perhaps some time in the USL will be better for his development than wasting away at TFC.

quote:Originally posted by finchster

Lombardo Sucks. I keep hearing he is young and he is going to develop, well he is 23 now so I don't think you can cut him any slack anymore. If he doesn't have a good season with TFC this year time to cut the kid loose. Perhaps some time in the USL will be better for his development than wasting away at TFC.

He's actually 20 yrs old....

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Well, he probably represents the ongoing misidentification of talent that continues to plague Canadian soccer. He is probably really fit and runs his ass off.

I am friends with a nation team player who was cut from the Mexico 86 team for someone not unlike Lombardo. Ran around a lot, but didn't get much done (it appeared to me that he had a fascination with the turf as he spent a lot of time prostrate on it):

"A forward, Garraway was a regular in the Canadian line-up from 1983 to 1985 (he played in the world cup only briefly, contrary to this Wikipedia entry - correct me if I am wrong). Despite his 22 appearances however, he failed to score any national team goals.

Garraway was also a member of the Canadian Olympic team that reached the quarter-finals of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, playing in 8 qualifying games. He scored once in qualifying in a 1-2 away loss to Mexico."

My friend was/is a far more talented player, but fitness won the day.

I'm not sure it's a misidentification case when a pretty good italian youth academy did recruit him a few years ago.

At 20 yrs old, I say he's still fairly young and still have the chance to become a good pro and I don't really how he became the scapegoat in some of the U-23 game thread when he saw limited time....

I am not a fan of him momentarily. He needs work. I am not sure which element of his game he will improve upon to make himself useable. He lacks pace, strength, ability to shoot from distance, he lacks presence on the ball and off of it... What will he do to make himself good. So much to do. I don't think he can/will do it.

lets see ,

lombardo

pros

he runs, runs , runs and its always given 110 %

cons

can not pass

can not shoot

can not beat a defender one on one

he sucks in the air

can not hold the ball

lacks fitness

I been saying that since the first time i saw him play (live) in the game between canada and argentina , he just looks awkward on the field . I don't even think he is a forward , maybe he should try to change his position on the field , he is still young and i think he could be better playing a defensive role ( defensive mid , right defender)

Although it is true that he is still young , he has shown not progress so far. I think it is better for the national team to stop calling this guy for future games (if there is any) , let him develop at TFC.

As much as i m trying to avoid bashing people (in general) , I really doubt lombardo would ever became the player the national program is hoping to get.

The only reason for me to still think he may develop in something better for the future is that the kid has heart and really gives 110% however sometimes that may not be enough

lombardo...

i don't want to hinge too much symoboism on his lack of ability..but i do think it speaks volumes..as i said before...are people seriously telling me that if you went across this country...too all the elite youth and men's clubs and leagues..there is not a handful, perhaps 10 or more..superior strikers available to be part of our national program? its a joke! come on...in each city or major are there must be a significant number of strikers that could take him to school.

the CSA...on a regional level..are scoffed at...they barely do any scouting, they play politics, drop in for half a game here and there..and really have no idea how to pick or groom talent. none.

yes i was happy to see lombardo get about three touches on the ball...but i just cannot see how this level of player, as opposed to what the US had on the field...is somehow still a part of the national program...

its really not about him, its about the way the CSA scouts, yes they lack funds..well get some ingenuity...

i do like dasovic, i think he did quite a bit with the given resources, although our boys did come out way to nervous and defensive against the US.

regardless, the tactics could have won with some hot goalkeeping.

the lombardo thing, i mean he just needs to get some finish and all the bashing will stop.

The problem with Lombardo, is that he was given a role that he's not ready for i.e. Being the front man for Toronto FC, when they had a string of injuries to their "star" forwards. I think Lombardo needs to train more, and should be brought around slowly. Maybe even drop him down a level to get his confidence back. At the very most he should be coming in at the 75 to 80 minute mark, to finish off games.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

The problem with Lombardo, is that he was given a role that he's not ready for i.e. Being the front man for Toronto FC, when they had a string of injuries to their "star" forwards. I think Lombardo needs to train more, and should be brought around slowly. Maybe even drop him down a level to get his confidence back. At the very most he should be coming in at the 75 to 80 minute mark, to finish off games.

finish off games if we are already winning.

anyhow in all the years that I've played rep i have seen better players then lombardo that is for sure.

How he got selected for the national program i m not sure.

However i do think that it has a lot to do with the way the coach (csa) wants canada to play. Long balls and someone that can run chasing it

Lets just take a look at the womens national team , they play horrible , even when they were top 5 in the world (before all the other teams catch up with womens soccer) they still played horrible , however they could run and were strong , therefore they won games

Now most countries caught on with womens soccer and our womens team is not a world class team anymore

I was actually surprise (in a good way) when our NT senior team played the gold cup ,they were actually passing the ball and playing beautiful soccer and they went far . We need more De guzmans , de rosarios, radz

We need to stop developing or choosing players like lombardo (and there is more) for the national program. I think we should take skills over fitness (lombardo can run )

quote:Originally posted by rick10

finish off games if we are already winning.

anyhow in all the years that I've played rep i have seen better players then lombardo that is for sure.

How he got selected for the national program i m not sure.

However i do think that it has a lot to do with the way the coach (csa) wants canada to play. Long balls and someone that can run chasing it

Lets just take a look at the womens national team , they play horrible , even when they were top 5 in the world (before all the other teams catch up with womens soccer) they still played horrible , however they could run and were strong , therefore they won games

Now most countries caught on with womens soccer and our womens team is not a world class team anymore

I was actually surprise (in a good way) when our NT senior team played the gold cup ,they were actually passing the ball and playing beautiful soccer and they went far . We need more De guzmans , de rosarios, radz

We need to stop developing or choosing players like lombardo (and there is more) for the national program. I think we should take skills over fitness (lombardo can run )

Don't forget the kid is 20! He has to have potential to have gotten where he his today. Should he be on any National team, or TFC for that matter? I think he should, but not as a starter.

Archived