2008 CONCACAF Women’s Under-17 Championship

Soccer9

Released today on the CONCACAF website

Trinidad & Tobago will host the 2008 CONCACAF Women’s Under-17 Championship from 17-26 July at Bacolet’s Dwight Yorke Stadium and Marvin Lee Stadium in Macoya.

The inaugural eight-team tournament will have two groups of four during the first round from 17-21 July. The semifinals and finals will take place at the Marvin Lee Stadium on 24 and 26 July, respectively.

Along with the hosts, the CONCACAF Women’s U-17 Championship will have Canada, Mexico and USA from the North Zone; Costa Rica, El Salvador from Central America; Jamaica and Puerto Rico from the Caribbean.

Rest of article: http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=4123

I have learn that the US budget for this team is around 4 millions.

The CSA budget for the U17s is about $350 000. A parent initiative is underway to get financial support($400 000) from individuals or corporations across the country. That could help this talented team get the much needed pre Concacaf and pre World cup preparation for New Zealand 2008.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

The US is about ten times larger in population so a budget of $350 000 vs $4 million would be about right.

Looking at it that way, yes you are right. I see it as both being equal with 11 players on the pitch, so the difference in budgets should not be x10.

quote:Originally posted by turbo

I have learn that the US budget for this team is around 4 millions.

The CSA budget for the U17s is about $350 000. A parent initiative is underway to get financial support($400 000) from individuals or corporations across the country. That could help this talented team get the much needed pre Concacaf and pre World cup preparation for New Zealand 2008.

I applaud this parent initiative to secure financial support of $400,000. Who needs the chair warmers at the CSA!

I think you'll find the US budget is 10x most people outside a few Northern Europeans. But that's nothing new. There are major cost inequities across the entire playing field: men's to women's, north to south, senior to youth.

This is the inaugural girls U17, but on the boy's side, good thing no one recently told Nigeria, Ghana, Turkey, and Burkina Faso they were underfunded.

All teams that win any world championship have something in common, and it ain't money.

Guts and heart: priceless.

The CSA goals for the U17 (girls) is probably something like. Finish top 2 or 3 in Concacaf, thereby qualifying for the Worlds. Finish 2nd or 3rd in our world group (maybe qualify, maybe not for 1/4's). Does it really matter? (they are after all only a bunch of girls). Therefore 350k should be enough money to do that. That is the status quo these days for the female side.

There are however fans out there and probably the players themselves that dare to dream of greater things. A world championship perhaps (at least give them every opportunity to achieve that). But in order to do that you need to prepare, prepare, prepare. Canada will never out talent the US, Germany or Brazil but they can certianly become a better TEAM than them (and beat them on any given day). They need to practice together more (residency would be good), start playing real international games (as a unit)(the more, the better), play hot weather games (T&T will be hot in July). All that will cost bucks. You certianly don't need 4 million, but 350k.

So, good initiative. I'm glad someone recognizes the opportunity we have here and is trying to do something about it. The young soccer players of this country deserve no less.

• 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Perhaps the Federal Government could take a lesson from the aussies and really promote sport as a national goal. Afterall "Australia is just like Canada but with better weather."

The Canadian government i.e. Stephen Harper and his gang, has much more important things to worry about from their perspective, like staying in power at all costs despite cockup after cockup.

Archived