Canada-Guatemala U-23 pre/in-match thread

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I was nice and gave the Mexicans a link to the game...for amusement, you can go read their observations of the second half! I wouldn't post though...they would be apt to red card you from BS...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670393&page=3

Some of them would rather see Hugo Sanchez get fired then see their team at the Olympics, what a bunch of bitches.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the U20 tournament this summer, isn't it amazing how Canada always gets better as the tournament goes on , no matter what kind of tourney were in. It's too bad we weren't able to get most of these guys together earlier for a decent preparation game or two but that is the life of Canadian soccer players I guess. I'll bet our boys would certainly like a redo with Haiti now....

quote:Originally posted by masster

What actually happened was a mid game formation switch. We started with a 4-2-3-1 just like the previous games but then we went 4-4-2. I know this is the case because at one point when there was a throw in on the sidelines you could see and hear Dasovic telling his players to make the change.

It looked to me like they kept the same formation, but Rosenlund taking Ayre's spot, Ayre going left and Johnson the attacking center forward. But either way, great call!

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I was nice and gave the Mexicans a link to the game...for amusement, you can go read their observations of the second half! I wouldn't post though...they would be apt to red card you from BS...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670393&page=3

I love this quote from one of the posters:

"No copa de oro, no copa confederaciones, no Olympiadas, are we gonna wait till we have "no Africa 2010"???????"

That would be nice [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

My feed wasn't sharp enough to see if the second goal was truly in, and I think Ricketts was trying to cross to Johnson on his second goal - but I'll take them both! :)

We saw him do that against Scotland. Or was that Gala? Whoever, I'm going to say it was on purpose.

No matter what happens with Mexico, well done young-ins. It's nice to have a reward for spending all of one's Sunday huddled around a spanish internet feed. Must say, I'm really warming up to Mexican Vic Rauter.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Guats can hate Mexico all they want, but their team likely faces the US next, and the US should eat them alive. Unless, of course, the Guats were thinking Haiti was going to win today.

USA won their group, and Guatemala will likely win our group, so they shouldn't meet each other until the final.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

This isn't aimed solely at you, but do we need to $hit on our players even when we win 5-0? Unless the kid did something wrong (which he didn't), let's just congratulate all our boys for coming through today with what they needed to do. True I think they faced a less than fully motivated team, but that hasn't stopped teams in the past from failing to persevere under pressure. Well done Canada!!!

My feed wasn't sharp enough to see if the second goal was truly in, and I think Ricketts was trying to cross to Johnson on his second goal - but I'll take them both! :)

Totaly agree here, the Lombardo hate doesn't belong to this thread. I just don't like how some here are coming down on a good kid with some malicious intent, it's not funny.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

So, break it down for me:

A tie between Mexico v. Haiti, and we are through, right

A Mexican win where they win by a margin of 4 or fewer goals, and we are through, right

A Mexican win where they win by a margin of 5 goals, and we are tied with them, unless of course the win by 7 - 2 or some such score, right

We are +4, with seven goals for

Mexico is currently -1, with two goals for

So...Mexico must win by six goals to eliminate us outright. A five goal win would take it to lots.

A 6-6 tie would eliminate us, and a 5-5 tie would take to to lots with Haiti.

Of course, Haiti goes through with a win...

What world is this I'm living in? Canada scoring 5 goals? Me cheering for a Mexico win, albeit a narrow one? Shrewd coaching, and questionable reffing that doesn't end up having serious consequences to the result?

Will Johnson: outstanding

Ornoch: a beast

Hainault/Jakovic: rock solid

I think there was a point in the game where Canada strung something like 20 passes together. I thought they were in time killing mode, but then they scored 2 more goals.

WTF?!

I know that we should be proud of what the boys accomplished tonight, and all of our focus should be on this great moment. But I can't help but be a glass half empty sort of guy and think that if it wasn't for 30 poor minutes against Haiti, we win the group and have a very easy path to the finals and the Olympics.

Jack says, "This is CONCACAF!!!!" (a la 300 "This is Sparta")

Haiti will be down 1-0 and will pull their goalie with 30 minutes left (Go Leafs Go) so they can "win" and Mexico will score an other 6 goals for a 7-0 win.

On a serious note, this is Haiti. It's not that unrealistic to think the Mexicans can score 6 on them.

Honestly people. Do you really think Canada will go through. What's next, Canada beat the US and qualify? This is Canadian soccer we are talking about here. Bang head against wall more.

Archived