Canada-Guatemala U-23 pre/in-match thread

Absolutely great performance by the lads regardless of what happens in the Mexico game. They should be very proud of the way they played, that was a very memorable performance by a young Canadian team with three college players. Johnson, Ricketts, Jakovic, Ayre, and Wagenaar were surprising standouts. Good job boys!

That said, GO MEXICO!

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, break it down for me:

A tie between Mexico v. Haiti, and we are through, right

A Mexican win where they win by a margin of 4 or fewer goals, and we are through, right

A Mexican win where they win by a margin of 5 goals, and we are tied with them, unless of course the win by 7 - 2 or some such score, right

quote:Originally posted by AlexCap

I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the game (I missed the first 9 pages or so), but this game changed due to the in game tactical change by Dasovic. Johnson was lost of the left and Dasovic moved him to the middle and it allowed him to be involved in the game. Great job by Dasovic.

What actually happened was a mid game formation switch. We started with a 4-2-3-1 just like the previous games but then we went 4-4-2. I know this is the case because at one point when there was a throw in on the sidelines you could see and hear Dasovic telling his players to make the change.

I have to be honest. After last match I didn't think the lads had it in them. 2 valuable lessons learned in the tourney that are so valuable.

1.You gotta play every team hard for every minute and be alert for any funny business by CONCACAF nations.

2.When you gotta team by the balls,don't let go.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

Kudos to Dasovic for not throwing in lombardo until it didn't matter. Great game by the boys.

This isn't aimed solely at you, but do we need to $hit on our players even when we win 5-0? Unless the kid did something wrong (which he didn't), let's just congratulate all our boys for coming through today with what they needed to do. True I think they faced a less than fully motivated team, but that hasn't stopped teams in the past from failing to persevere under pressure. Well done Canada!!!

My feed wasn't sharp enough to see if the second goal was truly in, and I think Ricketts was trying to cross to Johnson on his second goal - but I'll take them both! :)

Archived