Canada v Mexico U23 Olympic Qual pre/in-match (R)

Gian-Luca

quote:Originally posted by canucker

1-1 halftime.

Hopefully Diaz Kamebere gets subbed out, he isn't looking too good out there.

I agree. He's definately struggling out there. I thought Ledgerwood and Ricketts struggled early but got better as the game went on. Lensky has been quiet too, but the ball is just not getting to him so its not that he's playing poorly. Ornoch and Johnson are playing very well. Johnson looks much better than at the U-20s.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When all things considered that was a pretty decent first half.

I'm impressed with Jakovic and Ornoch. Both bigs guys with what looks like really good feet.

I thought Ayre and Hemming were solid as defensive midfielders while unfortunately we've seen precious little of Lensky (who is now officially and finally ours).

Overall, I thought if we were one thing it was decently organized and hard to break down. I came in hoping they'd be competitive and we'd see some decent play. I don't feel I've been let down.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

The play in the final third for Canada is really telling. We've had a couple good chances at the top of the 19, but the Mexicans are able to aggressively close with little consequence--we don't have the skill players to beat the defenders on a 1-on-1, or to do much more than blast it towards goal and hope...as is often the case at the younger age groups, we look best off set pieces when we can use our height and physical advantage.

45th min...still 1-1

Have you seen Ornoch? He has the skills to won a 1 v 1.

Pleasant surprise IMO, those guys are playing quite well considering the little prep and jet lag. Ony Kambere is struggling and maybe Ricketts should pass a little quicker.

I love what Johnson is doing in the middle and good finish as well.

Jakovic has a pro future, pretty good skill but doesn't look like a true CB but he's doing well right now.

Ornoch is pretty solid, I would love to see him playing deeper to create space but he's doing well.

Not sure about the PK, it looks to me like Hainault had his arm around him but won the challenge. Was it Hainault player or he was giving cover on that through ball?

I think it's a good first half for our boys, they aren't looking out of place.

I think we look solid considering Mexico are the heavily favored home team(technically speaking). Someone was saying we look slow on the back line and I think that is why Jakovic is playing back there. I think we could possibly get a result here, but not if we sit back on our heels like we did when we were up 1-0. We're gonna have to score late here to claim a victory or a draw.

Stars so far= Ornoch who is a monster(and I predicted he would score!), sadly he'll likely be subbed for Lombardo.

Potential star= Johnson clearly has skill on the ball, but he's gotta flick it out to the wings when they start crowding him

Sub please= Ricketts. i know he has pace, but he looks sloppy to me.

looking forward to the second half! and loving the 2 canadian flags i spotted behind the goals!

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

and I hate to sound like an biased TFC fan, but Hemming continues to impress me.

I agree 100%. He's played well in the middle. He'll be a good one for Canada and will play more than we expect with TFC this summer.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

What number is Ornoch?

CANADA

1 - G - Asmir Begovic - Edmonton, AB - ENG / Portsmouth FC

2 - D - Graham Ramalho - Calgary, AB - NED / FC Groningen

3 - D - Jacob Lensky - Vancouver, BC - NED / Feyenoord Rotterdam

4 - D/M - Dejan Jakovic - Etobicoke, ON - USA / UAB

5 - D - André Hainault - Hudson, QC - CZE / Sparta Praha

6 - D - Nikolas Ledgerwood - Lethbridge, AB - GER / TSV 1860 München

7 - M - Andrzej Ornoch - Scarborough, ON - DEN / Esbjerg fB

8 - M - Ryan Gyaki - Calgary, AB - GER / FC Hansa Rostock

9 - F - Andrea Lombardo - Toronto, ON - CAN / Toronto FC

10 - M/F - Will Johnson - Woodbridge, IL - NED / De Graafschap

11 - F - Tosaint Ricketts - Edmonton, AB - USA / Wisconsin-Green Bay

12 - D - Diaz Kambere - Surrey, BC - CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

13 - M/F - Kyle Hall - Toronto, ON - USA / Syracuse University

14 - D - Tyler Hemming - London, ON - CAN / Toronto FC

15 - M - Tyler Rosenlund - Port Coquitlam, BC - Unattached

16 - M - Keegan Ayre - Coquitlam, BC - SCO / Berwick Rangers FC

17 - F/D - Marcus Haber - Vancouver, BC - NED / FC Groningen

18 - G - Joshua Wagenaar - Grimsby, ON - Unattached

19 - M/F - Isidro Sanchez-Macip - Puebla, Mexico - MEX / Puebla de Zaragoza

22 - G - David Monsalve - Brampton, ON - Unattached

quote:I guess it comes with the territory, but there is definatly enough diving and complaining from the Mexicans. That just aggravates the hell out of me.

The girls at my rub and tug put up more of fight before going down than these guys do. thats soccer though

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Have you seen Ornoch? He has the skills to won a 1 v 1.

Well it's possible that what I'm seeing is a lack of support, which is forcing him to be taken off the ball as he has to hold it too long. The bottom line is that we haven't been able to penetrate into the 18 with regularity.

But, it's been a good effort. Although Mexico has had the run of play, we are in the game with a real shot of getting a result or stealing a win.

I'll sleep well tonight knowing that this team is easily good enough to get to a win and in semi final....regardless of what happens in the last 45.

Archived