Canada v Mexico U23 Olympic Qual pre/in-match (R)

Gian-Luca

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The play in the final third for Canada is really telling. We've had a couple good chances at the top of the 18, but the Mexicans are able to aggressively close with little consequence--we don't have the skill players to beat the defenders on a 1-on-1, or to do much more than blast it towards goal and hope...as is often the case at the younger age groups, we look best off set pieces when we can use our height and physical advantage.

45th min...still 1-1

Very impressed by Jakovic in that first half - this kid can play. He's an NCAA player so I expect him to be completely ignored by Mo Johnston in next year's draft.

And Ornoch is the real deal.

The lads are playing well, and the skill level is there, it's the lack of cohesion from minimal prep that's killing us, but we knew that would be the case.

quote:Originally posted by canucker

1-1 halftime.

Hopefully Diaz Kamebere gets subbed out, he isn't looking too good out there.

This is why I thought we might see Lensky slide to the leftback...we're not exactly flush with left sided players.

quote:Originally posted by Lomonty

Ricketts is guilty of holding on to the ball too long, he's finding space but he's gotta figure's hes not gonna break 4 mexicans down. Kambere is struggling moving the ball up the wing and left his line out to dry on that penalty

He has no support. I think he is trying to hold it up until someone gets forward.

Archived