14 César Villaluz (Cruz Azul)

15 Pablo Barrera (UNAM)

Delanteros

16 Sergio Ávila (Guadalajara)

17 Enrique Esqueda (América)

18 Edgar Andrade (Cruz Azul)

19 Santiago Fernández (Toluca)

20 Luis Ángel Landin (Monarcas_

If we finish second in the group, we may have to play the US in the semi-final match. Here's the US roster:

Roster by Position

GOALKEEPERS (2): Dominic Cervi (out of contract), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Hunter Freeman (New York Red Bulls), Kamani Hill (Vfl Wolfsburg), Patrick Ianni (Houston Dynamo), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United), Nathan Sturgis (Real Salt Lake), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (FC Dallas), Sal Zizzo (Hannover 96)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Chad Barrett (Chicago Fire),

Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't find anything yet on the Guatemala or Haitian rosters, although a Haitian poster on bigsoccer has mentioned that 2 Argentinian-based and 4 European based (two Dutch league, one Italian and a fourth not mentioned) are supposed to be on the squad, which if true, is atypical of most Haitian teams we've faced.

Also found this article about Mexico's team, which is a week and a half old:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/luis_bueno/02/29/mexico/index.html

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Memo Ochoa is a terrific keeper, should move to Europe this summer. Let's hope we get a few past him like 2005.

De Guzman's teammate Guardardo isn't there, which is a bonus. And no Dos Santos either by the looks of things.

On the US front, it's a little bit annoying to see that West Ham has released Jonathan Spector (who actually gets first team football with them) while Newcastle hangs on to Edgar even though they never play him. Is it that Newcastle don't take the Olympics seriously, or Canada? Or both?

Well, I find this funny but people are forgetting about Monsalve, Nana, Lombardo, Hemming, Gala, Melo and Srdjan who, for the majority, wouldn't have played pro soccer if it wasn't for TFC.

I'm dissapointed by the lack of canadian in TFC starting 11 but I like the young guys they have with them, so might have a good pro future.

In any case Wynne wasn't really "developed" by TFC - if he wasn't traded to us he would be playing for another MLS team, no doubt about that. And similarly another team would have drafted Edu if TFC wasn't around. Whereas I'm not sure where Lombardo, Roselund and Hemming (three TFC'ers I expect on the final roster, not counting Monsalve who's TFC status I'm not sure of) would be.

Rosenlund's status for Toronto FC is still pending league approval last I heard. So really he would have probably been with the U23's regardless as he pretty much went straight from trying out for TFC to the U23 camp. Lombardo probably benefitted the most from TFC. From what we saw in the few games Hemming played last year, hopefully TFC will have him playing for the senior team in only a few short years.

This is the strongest US team ever. I read that yesterday the reserves whupped up on the 1st string 5-0 in a 30 minute game. This forced Nowak to drop with players with caps for the US senior team. Most notable is Benny Feilhaber. I agree with the decision. He is riding the pine for the worst team in the premiership and apparently acted like a complete headcase at camp. Kudos to Nowak for dropping him.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well, I find this funny but people are forgetting about Monsalve, Nana, Lombardo, Hemming, Gala, Melo and Srdjan who, for the majority, wouldn't have played pro soccer if it wasn't for TFC.

I'm dissapointed by the lack of canadian in TFC starting 11 but I like the young guys they have with them, so might have a good pro future.

Jus' poking fun... Yes I agree hopefully some of those guys you mentioned have bright futures. Except Srdjan - he looked pretty brutal...

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Jus' poking fun... Yes I agree hopefully some of those guys you mentioned have bright futures. Except Srdjan - he looked pretty brutal...

Don't insult Jeffrey's lover. He may be better than you think. I read a scouting report that said Jeffrey was the only one who could score on him!;)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Don't insult Jeffrey's lover. He may be better than you think. I read a scouting report that said Jeffrey was the only one who could score on him!;)

If he played first division Serbia, for the Whitecaps, won the national university championship twice in three years and had the best goals against at TFC, which coincided with the best record of the team (more points per match with him in goal), I must be really stupid to like him.

Srdjan is better than Kenny or Sutton, that is how I see it. Your impressions are objectively flawed, but that is what happens when you let emotions get in the way of reality. You are guys judging TFC keeping on style, looks, haircuts, composure and other metrosexual values that resulted in more goals against and worse results.

quote:Originally posted by deschamp86

Rosenlund's status for Toronto FC is still pending league approval last I heard. So really he would have probably been with the U23's regardless as he pretty much went straight from trying out for TFC to the U23 camp. Lombardo probably benefitted the most from TFC. From what we saw in the few games Hemming played last year, hopefully TFC will have him playing for the senior team in only a few short years.

Just to clarify I actually was referring to where they would be club-wise, rather than if they would have been with the U23's. There is apparently a press conference scheduled tomorrow for TFC to announce some signings and we're expecting Roselund's will be one of those announced.

from papito on BigSoccer:

HAITI PRELIMINARY ROSTER

Reginald Goreux(Standard Liege/ Belgium)

Romain Genevois(Fc Gueugnon/ France)

Tim Velten(FC Groningen/ Holland)

Lesly fellinga/ BV Veendam/ Holland)

Jean Paulin(Arabe Unido/ Panama)

Jean Sony Alcenat (Aigle Noir)

Alain Vulbert (Baltimore)

Leonel Saint Preux (Zenith)

Serge Louis (Baltimore)

Fritzon Jean Baptiste (Aigle Noir)

Fabrice Noel ( Puerto Rico Islanders/ USA)

Jackson Jean (ASC)

Alain Gustave (Zenith)

Bridre'ce Azor (Sampdoria / Italy)

Marc Aurel Sampeur (Violette AC)

Johnny Placide ( Le Havre/ France)

Lescinel Jean Francois( Guingamp/ France)

Judelin Aveska (River Plate/ Argentina)

Sony Norde (Boca Juniors / Argentina)

James Marcelin (Racing Club Haitien)

Saurel Olrish (Don Bosco)

Ednerson Raymond (Baltimore)

Peterson Occenat (Violette AC)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Just to clarify I actually was referring to where they would be club-wise, rather than if they would have been with the U23's. There is apparently a press conference scheduled tomorrow for TFC to announce some signings and we're expecting Roselund's will be one of those announced.

My mistake

Basically the top 4 players on that list - though I raise an eyebrow that Groningen is one of those clubs.

Velten is probably property of Groningen, but loaned out somewhere. His name is very familiar, i think i've seen him with a 2nd Div club when looking for Bonifacio updates. I'll take a look later tonight - probably after the Leaf game. Or if you want to, go to www.vi.nl and check the rosters. Put the cursor over "competitie" on the top bar and then you'll see a bunch of league names appear and then select "jupiler league".

Edit: I looked and found nothing. But i did find this article on Julian De Guzman!

http://www.vi.nl/web/show/id=309929/langid=43/contentid=149367

Looks like Marvell Wynne, amongst others, is not starting for the US against Cuba, as this is the starting line-up that I've seen reported:

seitz

ianni

sturgis

freeman

hill

edu

davies

mccarty

findley

adu

altidore

And it sounds like Honduras beat Panama in the other match played earlier today (at least as far as I can glean from bigsoccer posts).

Looks like Marvell Wynne, amongst others, is not starting for the US against Cuba, as this is the starting line-up that I've seen reported:

seitz

ianni

sturgis

freeman

hill

edu

davies

mccarty

findley

adu

altidore

And it sounds like Honduras beat Panama in the other match played earlier today (at least as far as I can glean from bigsoccer posts).

The US have some serious issues. At least it looks like Nowak regained some sense and decided not to play Edu at CB as he had in some of the prep. matches. Kamani Hill, a player who made some sub appearances for Wolfsburg as a striker last season is being experimented with at RB.

Archived