Formation and Selection Thread

Sam

This is a complete formation and player selection thread for your starting XI and benches going into WCQ.

I've already expressed why I think a 4-1-4-1 is our best formation but I'm going to go into more detail about my player selections here.

Keeper: Lars is the number one option here, I think by far our strongest keeper has had some really good performances for Canada and Rosenberg (I don't know about his new Romain club performances though). The only question mark surrounding Lars would be his dedication to the team he seemed pretty pumped up at the Costa Rica game throwing his jersey into the supporters section after the game, but has previously broken a finger nail and missed a national team game :P. For this reason we need a strong back-up and I think we have that in Onstad.

Right Back: I know he lost the respect after his performance in the SA game, but I'm still a big fan of Stalteri. He's playing in this position for Fulham regularly now and should be a regular for us (He got destroyed last weekend, but that was against Ronaldo and Nani to be fair). I think if he keeps his cool he's also a potential captain. His experience as a midfielder is also very important, because our fullbacks are going to be an integral part of our attack. A lot of our wide players aren't used to playing those positions, so cover will often be needed there.

Center Back: I think Mckenna is a very important member of our team. He is our rock at the back, which is something we have been lacking recently. He had a decent game against South Africa IMO, and will be one of our most important players in games against teams with a lot of attacking flair such as Mexico.

Center Back: This is a position that will probably be jostled around between players. Although Klukowski seems to be the popular choice based on performances for Canada, I haven't seen him play for his club. This is the position I am most worried about I know we've tried Serioux here, and I really like him, but I don't know if hes right for this position. Another potential player here is Hastings who had a fantastic Gold Cup. He is thirty now, but still a candidate for this position.

Left Back: Jimmy B fully deserves a place on our starting XI and the left back slot is perfect for him. As I mention with regards to Stalteri Brennan will have a lot chances to move forward and join the attack. He can also count on past midfield experience. He also knows Toronto and the field turf at BMO which will be important considering that is where most of our games will probably be. I also thought Jimmy B played really well for us against Costa Rica at BMO.

Center-Defensive Midfielder: As I've stated before I think this is THE vital position for our attack and the reason why the 4-1-4-1 could work so well for us. I think Bernier has had the most experience in this role and has done a decent job so far distributing the ball. I have heard Imhof's name been thrown up for this position, but I think the way Bernier distributes the ball favours him for this position, as well his experience within the position. Imhof on the other hand can be used as a utility player off the bench.

Right-Wide Midfielder: Another trouble area. We have played forwards in this role in the past such as Radzinski and Hume and neither have done exceptionally, but we don't have too many options here. Josh Simpson is another name thats being thrown around, but he was a disaster in the South Africa game. Hume I think is a fantastic impact player to bring off the bench to play upfront with the striker if we need a goal. So that leaves Radzinski in this position, and he is getting on a bit in age, but I think should be good for this WCQ campaign.

Center Midfielder: Julian De Guzman. Need I say more?

Center Midfielder: Atiba Hutchinson. Read Above.

Left-Wide Midfielder: This is where I think Dwyane De Rosario will be used. I think it is a good position for him contradictory to the opinions of many others. People have complained that the left flank isn't enough of an impact position for our biggest offensive threat. I disagree. In the 4-1-4-1 there is almost always two players up front- the striker and the opposite winger (the opposite side of the ball- allowing for crosses or square balls). If DeRo played as the opposite winger he would be instrumental in the attack and the wide midfield position also allows him to get back and help start out the attack and run at defenders.

Striker: With his wicked form in Germany I really think we only have one option here Rob Friend. A brilliant target man who can hold up the ball allowing the wingers to catch up and keep the attack flowing. A great header of the ball and a very nice touch with an emphatic goal-scoring record for his club. The main problem with Friend is that he hasn't come anywhere near this goal-scoring record with Canada, which is a concern, but if we hit a problem with this we have Hume and Ali Gerba who could step in and they've both shown they can score playing for Canada.

So there is my starting XI for Canada during our WCQ campaign love to hear what you guys think.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Lars would be his dedication to the team he seemed pretty pumped up at the Costa Rica game throwing his jersey into the supporters section after the game

I missed grabbin that jersey by a **** hair, it was in my grasp and then 2 Latino guys tackled me high and low. I was quite comical according to my buddies behind me.

Anyways

I'd like to see a 4-4-1-1

LB) Klucko CB) Hainault CB) Mckenna RB) STally

LM) Brennan CM) DEguzman CM) Atiba RM) DERO

F) RAdz

F) Friend

Lars in Net,

Bench: HUme, Imhoff, Bernier, Serioux, Ali Gerba, Kenny S

-

Really, i think the team is pretty much settled. As much as i dont like them, i think dale will go with both Friend and McKenna in the 11. The only questions are:

- who will partner McKenna at the back

- whether its imhof or bernier in the middle, and

- whether its brennan or kluka at LB

And these questions will only be answered on form at the given moment.

The bench is a different question. we have alot of options and only 7 spots. assuming imhof, serioux, and brennan start...

BENCH:

nakajima, pozniak, bernier, gerba, kluka, hume, sutton

Notable absences: Occean, Hainault, Simpson, Hastings, dejong

Others left out: jazic, harmse, onstad, nash, stama, braz

will they develop?: johnson, peters, edgar, lensky, ornoch, ledgerwood

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

BENCH:

I'm hoping this is included as a joke, but if it is I don't get it. Especially since your bench doesn't include a single CB. Of the other player you've mentioned I would only rate Poz ahead of Braz, Ornoch and (maybe Nash). And I can think of a few others I would rate ahead.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

BENCH:

I'm hoping this is included as a joke, but if it is I don't get it. Especially since your bench doesn't include a single CB. Of the other player you've mentioned I would only rate Poz ahead of Braz, Ornoch and (maybe Nash). And I can think of a few others I would rate ahead.

I am not confident with friend up front. until he has a good game for canada, that wont change (hope it does). gerba and occean are excellent options.

i included poz because of his versatility. he can play anywhere in the defense, and midfield. klukowski can play CB as well. no true CB because i doubt we will actually need one. simpson was hard to leave out, but nakajima, bernier, and hume are more likely to contribute offensively. poz has a good amount of concacaf experience, he is skilled and improving and ive never seen him play poorly for canada. i think he has a role to play on the team.

I agree Serioux is a better option than poz. They both play in the same league so they are comparable and Serioux is certainly the better player within the league. Serioux has also has some decent performances for Canada- poz really hasn't. As for Friend I thought he played well vs. Jamaica in Montreal, and he played well when he came on as a sub against Costa Rica. I also think with such an emphatic scoring record in Germany he deserves at least a chance.

serioux is a better ball winner and is a better option at cb, but poz is quicker, can play down the flanks, can cross accurately, and can distribute up the middle.

i don't think we can say that serioux is the better player in within their league yet. poz should have been a starter for tfc last year, the fact that he wasn't had nothing to do with his skill or inferiority to serioux. im sure poz will have a great year under yallop in SJ.

i had serioux starting, by the way.

--------------------Lars

Stalteri, Mckenna, Kluka Brennan or Dejong

---------------Bernier (tam if available)

-----------Deguz-------Hutch

Radz----------------------------Dero

-------------------Friend

Bench:

Hainault, Hume, Brennan or Dejong, Issey, Sutton, Occean, Gerba

I thought this might illuminate the discussion a bit.

These are the MNT team stats in the Mitchell/Hart Era (14 Matches since Jamaica, September 2006).

GS = Games Started

S = Games as Substitute

U = Games as Unused Sub.

Minu = Minutes Played

G = Goals

Y = Yellow Card

A = Ejection (Accumulation)

E = Ejection (Straight Red)

--First Last----------- GS S U Minu G Y A E

-Julian de Guzman------ 13 0 0 1061 2 3 0 0

---Paul Stalteri------- 12 0 0 1058 1 5 1 0

--Atiba Hutchinson----- 11 0 0 0884 1 0 0 0

Patrice Bernier-------- 10 2 0 0865 0 3 0 0

--André Hainault------- 09 0 1 0793 0 1 0 0

-Dwayne De Rosario----- 09 0 0 0766 6 1 0 0

Richard Hastings------- 08 0 1 0720 0 1 0 0

----Rob Friend--------- 06 2 0 0592 1 1 0 0

-Tomasz Radzinski------ 07 0 0 0570 2 1 0 0

---Ante Jazic---------- 07 0 0 0567 0 0 0 0

----Pat Onstad--------- 06 0 0 0540 0 0 0 0

-Martin Nash----------- 06 2 1 0490 0 1 0 0

--Issey Nakajima-Farran 03 6 3 0412 0 1 0 0

----Ali Gerba---------- 05 3 1 0391 4 0 0 0

--Kevin McKenna-------- 04 0 0 0360 0 1 0 0

---Iain Hume----------- 03 5 3 0320 1 1 0 0

--Chris Pozniak-------- 04 2 2 0291 0 0 0 0

---Greg Sutton--------- 03 0 3 0270 0 0 0 0

---Lars Hirschfeld----- 03 0 0 0270 0 0 0 0

--Marco Reda----------- 03 0 1 0270 0 0 0 0

---Josh Simpson-------- 03 1 0 0261 0 0 0 0

Gabriel Gervais-------- 01 2 0 0226 0 0 0 0

---Adam Braz----------- 02 3 5 0221 0 1 0 0

---Mike Klukowski------ 03 0 0 0199 0 0 0 0

-Adrian Serioux-------- 02 0 0 0180 0 1 0 0

--Kevin Harmse--------- 02 4 2 0172 0 1 0 0

-Daniel Imhof---------- 01 1 0 0135 0 0 0 0

Olivier Occean--------- 01 3 1 0132 1 0 0 0

-Adrian Cann----------- 01 0 0 0090 0 0 0 0

--Chris Williams------- 01 0 0 0090 0 1 0 0

----Jim Brennan-------- 01 0 1 0090 0 0 0 0

---Josh Wagenaar------- 01 0 2 0090 0 0 0 0

--Kenny Stamatopoulos-- 01 0 4 0090 0 0 0 0

----Tam Nsaliwa-------- 01 0 0 0090 0 0 0 0

Charles Gbeke---------- 01 0 0 0057 0 0 0 0

Antonio Ribiero-------- 00 2 3 0051 0 1 0 0

--Jamie Peters--------- 00 1 0 0045 0 0 0 0

---Dave Simpson-------- 00 1 0 0033 0 0 0 0

--Dejan Jakovic-------- 00 1 0 0023 0 1 0 0

----Nik Ledgerwood----- 00 1 0 0019 0 0 0 0

--Tyler Rosenlund------ 00 1 0 0019 0 0 0 0

-Marcel de Jong-------- 00 1 0 0018 0 0 0 0

-Sandro Grande--------- 00 1 1 0018 0 0 0 0

---Will Johnson-------- 00 1 0 0007 0 0 0 0

Andrzej Ornoch--------- 00 1 0 0005 0 0 0 0

--Asmir Begovic-------- 00 0 1 0000 0 0 0 0

--David Edgar---------- 00 0 1 0000 0 0 0 0

--Paris Nakajima-Farran 00 0 1 0000 0 0 0 0

--Rhian Dodds---------- 00 0 1 0000 0 0 0 0

-Robert Giacomi-------- 00 0 5 0000 0 0 0 0

Interesting line-ups.

-------------Lars-----------

Stalteri-McKenna-Hastings-Brennan

------------Imhoff----------

----Hutchinson--DeGuzman---

Radzinkski---------DeRosario

-----------Friend----------

Subs:

Onstad

Klukowski

Serioux

De Jong

Hume

Occean

Gerba

*Nsaliwa would take Serioux's spot in the squad, and potentially unseed starters in a couple possible positions.

I think it is absolutely idiotic to put Bernier as the starting defensive mid over Imhof going into WCQ. You have to give some credit to club play in the current season. Bernier signed as a starter in what has turned out to be a relegation level club in the 2nd Bundesliga and has lost his starting place and become a sub. Imhof signed as a sub/injury cover with a mid-table first Bundesliga team and has won a starting job. Kicker ranks Imhof's performances significantly higher than it does Bernier's and that is against playing teams like Bayern and Stuttgart not Offenbach and Paderborn. As for Bernier's reputed offensive superiority, Imhof has scored 2 goals this year (and set up several others) to Bernier's one.

I do agree that what counts in the end is not your club play but your national team play but I see even less of an argument for Bernier in this area. Bernier is as inconsistent for the national team as he is for his club. For every good game he has played for the national team I have seen him play a game in which he disappeared and another in which he stunk (which exactly matches his Kicker ratings at FCK 6 (4 good games, 4 mediocre and 6 bad games). One good game out of three is not good enough. Imhof may not be a guy that shows up on the highlight reels but he is effective in his role and consistent game in game out both when playing for Canada and Bochum (Kicker ratings 6 good games, 6 mediocre, 0 bad games). When Imhof seems to disappear from play it is usually because he is shutting someone down and when Bernier disappears it is because he is not involved in the play. Imhof is far, far better than Bernier defensively and I don't think we can underestimate the value of a good destroying defensive midfielder with what is undoubtedly going to be a pretty shaky and probably slow CB pairing. While Bernier may be a better ball distributer in the 33% of games that he plays well in, I don't think his superiority is as great in this area as some may think and Imhof is underrated in this category. A further point is that Imhof is playing defensive mid every week with his club while Bernier has been used more often as an offensive than defensive mid. We have also only seen 3 halves of football from Imhof since he started playing in the 1st Bundesliga and I think we will notice the positive effect the higher level of play has had on him once we start seeing him regularly. Every player must still win his spot on the field but I think the job should be Imhof's unless he plays poorly and Bernier plays well in the run up to WCQ. Nsaliwa would be stronger competition for Imhof if available but again he is playing offensive mid and Imhof is not the guy I would take out to put in Nsaliwa.

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

I thought this might illuminate the discussion a bit.

These are the MNT team stats in the Mitchell/Hart Era (14 Matches since Jamaica, September 2006).

Thanks for the list. Nice work.

Looking at who is available now compared to during the Gold Cup we really do seem poised to go from strength to strength.

We are much deeper in goal with Onstad, a now healthy Sutton and Hirschfeld now all available. I think it's a close call between the three for the starting spot. Hirschfeld will probably start but current form will have a big say for each match over the whole year.

We played with a make-shift pair of CBs last year and now we should have McKenna at least to shore that up. I think Hastings did an admirable job in that position and he might just keep his spot. I see Hainault and Serioux as third and fourth choice. The Serioux/Poz question is interesting - I suppose it will depend on who is in the best form when the season gets going. I would say that Serioux holds the edge right now but that is just a gut feeling.

Stalteri is to be the only good option at RB while we have too many options on the left with Kluk, de Jong, Brennan - so one of those will miss out each match. Even Hastings plays LB for his club and Serioux might be left footed as well (It looks like he plays on the left side of centre in the DFC back line). It's interesting that you always hear about right footed players being played at LB but never about left footers playing RB. Perhaps we'll have to resort to trying that if Stalteri isn't available. I really like the idea of the TFC captain having a strong role with Canada (call me sentimental) so I'd prefer Brennan to get a long run this year as a starter on the left.

Imhof is really coming into his own in the Bundesliga - I have to agree with Toronto MB and Grizzly that he is the better option to Bernier right now. Until we hear of progress in Tam's situation it is unrealistic to consider him for 2008. Friend, JDG and Radz are also doing very well with their clubs and there is no reason to believe that DeRo won't pick up where he left off last season. INF, Bernier and perhaps Nash (the forgotten man!) are the options off the bench.

Based on current form I think this will should be the group travelling to Estonia (18 players). I'm guessing that they aren't going to call on NA based players for this one:

4-1-4-1

Hirschfeld (Stamatopoulos)

Stalteri, McKenna, Hastings, de Jong (Hainault)

Imhof (Bernier)

Radz, JDG, Hutch, Kluk (Nakijima-Farran)

Friend (Gerba, Occean, Hume)

Once the European season is over and we start our warm-up for WC qualifying (if squad of 20) we'll see everyone brought together:

(Formation should vary)

Hirschfeld (Onstad, Sutton)

Stalteri, McKenna, Hastings, Brennan (Hainault, Kluk, Serioux)

Radz, JDG, Hutch, Imhof, DeRo (Bernier, Nakijima-Farran)

Friend (Gerba, Occean, Hume)

On the fringe of this group are Stam, de Jong, Nash, Jazic and Poz.

Guest Jeffery S.

For me it is still 4-3-3 all the way. We are unsuccessful with just one striker, never have been. Our strikers play better with someone there with more mobility, moving up the wing, or someone coming forwards.

The system can always shift into 4-4-2 as you have DeRo drop back, for example, and let the other side striker (Radz) stay up.

I can't understand the hype for Friend, he has proven nothing for us. But if you really want him to work the way he does for the club, put Hume beside him in a 4-4-2 or Radz up there with full freedom of movement. And renounce the wings.

For me the only sure starters are Lars, Stalteri, Julian, Atiba, DeRo and Radz. Not too bad for a start. The weakness, as I see it, is in centre back, until we start to see someone really proving himself game after game. I think Hastings should get another crack, and see what happens with McKenna.

As for holding mids, well forget them. We need ball talent in the middle and we need to cover more space in a 4-3-3, and Julian has the pace to drop back and hold AND go forwards to look for the play. So he does that, the classic #4.

We have five matches, Estonia, Haiti and Panama plus SVG twice to get this all clear. I think it is almost going to be enough.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think it is absolutely idiotic to put Bernier as the starting defensive mid over Imhof going into WCQ. You have to give some credit to club play in the current season. Bernier signed as a starter in what has turned out to be a relegation level club in the 2nd Bundesliga and has lost his starting place and become a sub. Imhof signed as a sub/injury cover with a mid-table first Bundesliga team and has won a starting job. Kicker ranks Imhof's performances significantly higher than it does Bernier's and that is against playing teams like Bayern and Stuttgart not Offenbach and Paderborn. As for Bernier's reputed offensive superiority, Imhof has scored 2 goals this year (and set up several others) to Bernier's one.

I do agree that what counts in the end is not your club play but your national team play but I see even less of an argument for Bernier in this area. Bernier is as inconsistent for the national team as he is for his club. For every good game he has played for the national team I have seen him play a game in which he disappeared and another in which he stunk (which exactly matches his Kicker ratings at FCK 6 (4 good games, 4 mediocre and 6 bad games). One good game out of three is not good enough. Imhof may not be a guy that shows up on the highlight reels but he is effective in his role and consistent game in game out both when playing for Canada and Bochum (Kicker ratings 6 good games, 6 mediocre, 0 bad games). When Imhof seems to disappear from play it is usually because he is shutting someone down and when Bernier disappears it is because he is not involved in the play. Imhof is far, far better than Bernier defensively and I don't think we can underestimate the value of a good destroying defensive midfielder with what is undoubtedly going to be a pretty shaky and probably slow CB pairing. While Bernier may be a better ball distributer in the 33% of games that he plays well in, I don't think his superiority is as great in this area as some may think and Imhof is underrated in this category. A further point is that Imhof is playing defensive mid every week with his club while Bernier has been used more often as an offensive than defensive mid. We have also only seen 3 halves of football from Imhof since he started playing in the 1st Bundesliga and I think we will notice the positive effect the higher level of play has had on him once we start seeing him regularly. Every player must still win his spot on the field but I think the job should be Imhof's unless he plays poorly and Bernier plays well in the run up to WCQ. Nsaliwa would be stronger competition for Imhof if available but again he is playing offensive mid and Imhof is not the guy I would take out to put in Nsaliwa.

I'm still amazed at the Imhoff reception here. With the exception of JDG, he's our only players who has seen consistent PT in one of the top 4 league in Europe, please show some respect to the guy.

I think a lot of people are guilty of judging him on games who happenned years ago...and even then I think he was better than what people are saying.

As far as goalkeeping goes I will repeat what I said in another thread, I have no problem starting Lars if he's playing at his club but if he doesn't regain the starting spot at Cluj it might come down to Onstad.

Center back will be a critical position for us and that's the one I' the least comfortable with right now. I'm pretty sure Mckenna will start but his partner is still unknown. A lot of contenders, Kluka, Hastings, Hainault, Nsaliwa (if available) and JB. I think DM should make a decision for the Estonia game, if both guys are playing well together continue to play them against Haiti and Panama.

At striker, Friend is the top canadidate right now with his performances in the B2. I still would like to see OO given some times since he's a proven scorer in a league similar to the B2 and will be in the middle of his season in August unlike Friend and Gerba. But I still say Friend at the moment.

So I would go with this starting lineup:

-------------Friend----------------

DeRo-----JDG---------Atiba------Radz

--------------Imhoff-----------------

DeJong------Kluka----Mckenna------Stalteri

Lars

Note that you could play JDG as an holding midfielder with Imhoff when we're playing away at Azteca, Honduras or when he need to adopt a more defensive shape to protect a lead.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

For me it is still 4-3-3 all the way. We are unsuccessful with just one striker, never have been. Our strikers play better with someone there with more mobility, moving up the wing, or someone coming forwards.

The system can always shift into 4-4-2 as you have DeRo drop back, for example, and let the other side striker (Radz) stay up.

I can't understand the hype for Friend, he has proven nothing for us. But if you really want him to work the way he does for the club, put Hume beside him in a 4-4-2 or Radz up there with full freedom of movement. And renounce the wings.

For me the only sure starters are Lars, Stalteri, Julian, Atiba, DeRo and Radz. Not too bad for a start. The weakness, as I see it, is in centre back, until we start to see someone really proving himself game after game. I think Hastings should get another crack, and see what happens with McKenna.

As for holding mids, well forget them. We need ball talent in the middle and we need to cover more space in a 4-3-3, and Julian has the pace to drop back and hold AND go forwards to look for the play. So he does that, the classic #4.

We have five matches, Estonia, Haiti and Panama plus SVG twice to get this all clear. I think it is almost going to be enough.

I think it's a bit unfair to Friend to say that he's done nothing for us. In last year GC he played well as a target man, yes he didn't scored but did set up some nice play.

Also, you always have to take into account current form of all your players and the level their playing with their club. At the moment Friend is playing at a pretty good level and his heading to B1 next year. I don't see why he shouldn't be starting against Estonia considering his current goalscoring rate.

Considering the amount of goals Friend has scored this year, it would be highly unfair not to let him start. Good performances at the club level should translate into a starting position on the national team. I think if Friend started up front with another speedy forward like Hume or Radz it would be perfect. A lethal combination.

He has scored one for us against Jamaica in that friendly in Montreal. But still, I too have some concerns in this area. He is a capable player, but the big question is whether that's enough given what our rivals can offer in terms of pedigree and productivity from the fwd position. And, in Concacaf, goal scoring is of the utmost importance when it comes to success.

If you are asking whether or not there is anyone who should start ahead of him? Well, right now, NO. But IMO he is hardly a lock for the starter role. I think some creative experimenting by the coaching is in order when it comes to finding goals. Or, there is room for someone else to step up, get hot and grab that spot.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

...... So I would go with this starting lineup:

-------------Friend----------------

DeRo-----JDG---------Atiba------Radz

--------------Imhoff-----------------

DeJong------Kluka----Mckenna------Stalteri

Lars

Note that you could play JDG as an holding midfielder with Imhoff when we're playing away at Azteca, Honduras or when he need to adopt a more defensive shape to protect a lead.

Bingo! Based on current form, I like this lineup, although the back line to me is still unsettled.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Bingo! Based on current form, I like this lineup, although the back line to me is still unsettled.

I like it too with the same reservation, and assuming Tam is not available. I might also be tempted to start Hume over Radz. My question though is how comfortable Klukowski would be at centre back? I might start Edgar over DeJong to have Klukowski playing his natural position.

Archived