TFC Roster Dance 2008

MM2

I agree that it may be too soon to call Mo a failure but I would also add that it is also way to soon to call him a success. I'm not convinced that he is anything more than average as a manager because he hasn't proven anything at this point. And the burden of proof is Mo's because after all it is his job to lose. The question is how long should MLSE wait? In most other soccer clubs around the world, he would have been gone long ago.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Always classified as a gamble. The trajectory of Lapira's career may yet follow the same path as Tyler Rosenlund's (given he has gone from trying out with a reasonably big and well respected club in European terms to a second rate outfit who are probably mainly semi-pro and going nowhere fast) and if Britner isn't the Revs last dev roster signing he will be free to sign with TFC in the not too distant future. Premature to classify that as a failure then just as the apparent imminent arrival of players like Robert, Guevara and Ricketts suggests that people with agendas that have nothing to do with TFC may have written off Mo Johnston's abilities to get the job done in the international transfer market a little too quickly.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Amado Guevara rumours are on again, though the information from the Star is wrong. His green card has no impact on his roster status with TFC since TFC is over the minimum # of Americans (5)

"Second, Guevara has a U.S. green card, which means that for MLS purposes, the Honduran international is a domestic player. That means TFC can add him to the roster while saving a roster spot for another international player."

over on the RPB message board, the cousin of Rohan Ricketts (currently contracted to Barnsley of CCC) has been posting very regularly to let fans know that it's looking very likely that Rohan will be joining TFC very soon, possibly in time for Sunday's game against the Galaxy

The only way that TFC can be roster compliant is if Maurice Edu is still considered Generation Adidas or if they are other unannounced roster changes.

Usually MLS releases the names of the players who have "graduated" from the GA program, I don't recall seeing any info this off-season.

quote:Originally posted by MM2

Canadian Kilian Elkinson has been added to the developmental roster, he played youth soccer with Joey Melo so should be an 1989 player.

He's an OSA referral - he's either Irish or Bermudian and goes to Upper Canada College, an uptown TO boarding school. His family is Irish, father's a lawyer in Bermuda. He's not Canadian.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

He's an OSA referral - he's either Irish or Bermudian and goes to Upper Canada College, an uptown TO boarding school. His family is Irish, father's a lawyer in Bermuda. He's not Canadian.

Lets put it this way - Has he played for a national youth team of any country? If not and he is eligible for Canada, then I'll count him as Canadian.

Does landed immigrant status make you eligible to play for the national team? I don't think so.

So he may be "Canadian" for the purpose of TFC (if he were a landed immigrant), but that doesn't necessarily make him "Canadian" for the purpose of the national teams.

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

Does landed immigrant status make you eligible to play for the national team? I don't think so.

So he may be "Canadian" for the purpose of TFC (if he were a landed immigrant), but that doesn't necessarily make him "Canadian" for the purpose of the national teams.

True. But like Simeon Jackson, paperwork can always be acquired if necessary.

I'm not saying we need to cap him right away. I'm just saying I'll cheer a little bit extra for him if there is a chance he could put on the maple leaf down the road.

quote:Originally posted by MM2

Since TFC has already filled all 16 International slots, he counts as Canadian for at least MLS purposes.

fwiw...I rec’d this email yesterday:

“He counts as a "Canadian" only because he holds a valid 4 year student visa - which expires after he turns 19. His Canadian custodian is a resident of Mississauga as his parents reside full time in Bermuda and he was born in Ireland. MLSE assisted in obtaining an "off-campus work visa" which limits him to 20 hours per week of employment eligibility.”

I have no way of verifying the information and I have no intention to attempt to do so, but I’ll post it as the source is trusted and has nothing to gain by providing misleading information.

• 2 months later...

The kid they acquired from Dallas sounds like he might be sensational. Couldn't handle living away from his parents but agreed to go to Toronto because he had an uncle there.

Archived