TFC Roster Dance 2008

MM2

Nigel Reed and Terry Dobson have made comments that seem to indicate that all trialist except Brittian have been released.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Hi,

Can someone confirm that Kiki Musampa and Tony Vairelles have been released? I notice on your main page that their names have been crossed off. If they have been released can anyone say why?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this has been posted....

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisle_united/latest/1.58434

Becks to the future

By Jon Colman

Last updated 12:18, Thursday, 20 March 2008

KEVIN GALL today claimed the chance to lock horns with David Beckham across the Atlantic was too good to miss after leaving Carlisle United for Major League Soccer side Toronto FC.

The out-of-favour Blues striker flies out today to train with the Canadian side and if the move is made permanent he will line up against Beckham’s LA Galaxy side next month.

Gall, 26, has been told he has no future at Brunton Park by boss John Ward and while other English clubs have shown interest, he said he is excited by the chance to taste life in the high-profile MLS.

“It’s too good an opportunity to look past,” said the Welsh frontman. “Playing against the likes of David Beckham isn’t bad, considering I haven’t been playing in League One in England.”

Toronto’s director of football is former Rangers and Celtic hero Mo Johnson, while their head coach is Gall’s ex-Newcastle youth team boss John Carver, who almost became manager at Carlisle before Neil McDonald’s appointment in 2006.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Robinson will be going back to UK according to Sky Sports.

Wow if that is true. Robinson was overpaid but still was one of the better players and one of the few MLS quality players on TFC. Mo better have a lot of quality signings lined up or this season could be a disaster.

I saw someone else post that on bigsoccoer but it seems like a false alarm on the Robinson front:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080325&content_id=145255&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Have to wonder if Mo Johnston is writing these press releases though - what the hell is up with mentioning the returning Americans from Olympic qualifying, but not the three Canadians? Nice way to snub our boys.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I saw someone else post that on bigsoccoer but it seems like a false alarm on the Robinson front:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080325&content_id=145255&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Have to wonder if Mo Johnston is writing these press releases though - what the hell is up with mentioning the returning Americans from Olympic qualifying, but not the three Canadians? Nice way to snub our boys.

That is because MLS is an American league, concerned only with American players.

No Amado Guevera, at least until the summer transfer window, talented player but had major problems with NY and Chivas.

So the team starts the season with only two keepers, not good

Also five roster spots still open, TFC cancelled their first Reserve game scheduled for Columbus this weekend

Cancelling more reserve games? Mo Johnston should be forced by the league to field enough players for that game. What a joke this makes your talent development when you don't even give your D-players a game.

I really have trouble in my head picturing him as the manager at the end of this year (thankfully)

quote:Originally posted by MM2

Also five roster spots still open, TFC cancelled their first Reserve game scheduled for Columbus this weekend

Those spots will remain open unless they sign some Canadians. The media has been getting on Mo Johnston for his lack of productivity as a GM but they really need to pick up on this particular point.

Those spots will remain open unless they sign some Canadians. The media has been getting on Mo Johnston for his lack of productivity as a GM but they really need to pick up on this particular point.

Nana Attakora-Gyan and Joey Melo are no longer on TFC's roster, not sure if it is an error or if they have been released.

That's probably a mistake...it better f'n be.

| that's re-assuring, thanks G-L!

v

They used to be listed as Senior roster players, I suspect that they have taken the entries down to fix the status or something like that as they shoudl be DEV players. Carver is very high on Melo so I can't imagine they would be cut at their age.

Edit: Both players are listed as part of the roster going to Columbus in the official MLS game guide:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/pdf/mls/2008/gameguides/03/329clbtor.pdf

Although I don't believe that Melo (or Lombardo for that matter) will be starting.

I wonder if these two players will be added to the new CSL team roster. I think both of these young men would benefit from regular playing time. Training with the senior team is always great but at their age, they need game experience too. With the infrequency of MLS Reserve games, a move to the CSL squad for a year might be really good for their development.

It looks like the CSL team will be all-amateur so that the academy players don't lose their NCAA eligibility, so the players under contract with TFC will not be able to play.

It would be good though a 22 game schedule versus a 12 game schedule.

It looks like the CSL team will be all-amateur so that the academy players don't lose their NCAA eligibility, so the players under contract with TFC will not be able to play.

It would be good though a 22 game schedule versus a 12 game schedule.

good point MM2.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Yeah, then he left again.

just saw this, and havent seen it reported..i know he left a couple weeks back but some might be curious as to where he landed...

Musampa signed with FC Seoul of K-League on March 24th 2008.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2008/03/136_21448.html

with so many players coming through on trial this year - is tfc getting a reputation as a kind of trial stopover from where agents negotiate better contracts for their players in other leagues?

Incidentally TFC draft pick Joseph Lapira has signed for some obscure Norwegian 2nd division team. Good thing we used a 3rd round draft pick on him instead of Matt Britner (who apparently still has a shot at being the last dev. signing for New England this year, but would probably already be signed for TFC had we drafted him).

Always classified as a gamble. The trajectory of Lapira's career may yet follow the same path as Tyler Rosenlund's (given he has gone from trying out with a reasonably big and well respected club in European terms to a second rate outfit who are probably mainly semi-pro and going nowhere fast) and if Britner isn't the Revs last dev roster signing he will be free to sign with TFC in the not too distant future. Premature to classify that as a failure then just as the apparent imminent arrival of players like Robert, Guevara and Ricketts suggests that people with agendas that have nothing to do with TFC may have written off Mo Johnston's abilities to get the job done in the international transfer market a little too quickly.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

the apparent imminent arrival of players like Robert, Guevara and Ricketts suggests that people with agendas that have nothing to do with TFC may have written off Mo Johnston's abilities to get the job done in the international transfer market a little too quickly.

Who are these people (that have criticized Mo) with agendas that have nothing to do with TFC? Are you referring to Celtic supporters that hate him personally?

Archived