01 — Kenny Stamatopoulos (G) end of Loan with Tromso

21 — Chris Pozniak (D/M) to San Jose in the expansion draft

Waived

28 — Srdjan Djekanovic (G) (Vancouver)

28 — Dave Guzman (M)

28 — Stephen Lumley (D)

28 — Christian Nunez (M)(Montreal)

28 — Adam Braz (D) (Montreal)

28 — Maycoll Canizalez (M) (Germany Div. 4)

28 — Marco Reda (D) (Charleston)

February 2008

28 - Ronnie O'Brien to San Jose

28 - 2009 1st round pick + Allocation from San Jose

29 - Kevin Harmse from Los Angeles

29 - 2009 4th round pick to Los Angeles

March 2008

Signed

Tyler Rosenlund M UCSB

Julius James D Connecticut D08 #9

Pat Phelan D/M Wake Forest D08 #10

Brian Edwards G Wake Forest D08 #28

Marco Velez D Puerto Rico Islanders

Jarrod Smith F Hawke's Bay United NZ

April 2008

01 Laurent Robert signed from Derby County

02 Rights to Mike Zaher traded to D.C. United

02 2009 1st round supplemental draft pick from D.C. United

09 Amado Guevara acquired from Chivas USA

09 Conditional 2009 & 2010 draft picks to Chivas USA

11 Collin Samuel waived

11 Rohan Ricketts signed

12 Kilian Elkinson signed to developmental spot

13 Andrew Boyens waived

24 Olivier Tebily signed

25 Tyler Hemming waived

25 Andrea Lombardo dropped to developmental roster

June 2008

04 Pat Phelan traded to New England

04 International spot obtained from New England

04 Jarrod Smith promoted to Senior Roster

10 Tyler Hemming signed to Developmental roster

13 Abdus "Ibee" Ibrahim obtained from FC Dallas

13 Conditional 2010 draft pick to FC Dallas

July 2008

05 Andrea Lombardo released

TFC Roster 2008

Canadian

1 Jim Brennan M Southhampton ENG F

2 Greg Sutton G Montreal Impact T

3 Kevin Harmse M Los Angeles T

Non-Canadian

4 Olivier Tebily D Birmingham F

5 Laurent Robert M Derby County Eng F

6 Maurice Edu M U of Maryland D07 #1

7 Jeff Cunningham F Real Salt Lake T

8 Daniele Dichio F Preston North End ENG F

9 Carl Robinson M Norwich City ENG F

10 Todd Dunivant D New York Red Bulls T

11 Rohan Ricketts M Barnsley ENG F

12 Tyrone Marshall D Los Angeles Galaxy T

13 Amado Guevara M Chivas USA T

14 Marvell Wynne D New York Red Bulls T

15 Julius James D Connecticut D08 #9

16 Jarrod Smith F Hawke's Bay United NZ F

17 Marco Velez D Puerto Rico Islanders T

18 Brian Edwards G Wake Forest D08 #28

Developmental

Canadian

19 Nana Attakora-Gyan D Canada U20 N

20 Tyler Hemmming D/M F

21 Joey Melo M/F Canada U17 N

22 Gabe Gala M Canada U20 N

23 Tyler Rosenlund M UCSB/Sweden F

24 Kilian Elkinson Canada

25 Open

26 Open

Non-Canadian

27 Abdus Ibrahim F FC Dallas T

28 Open

2008 MLS College Draft

# Name Pos From

Superdraft

9 Julius James D Connecticut

10 Pat Phelan D/M Wake Forest

28 Brian Edwards G Wake Forest

30 Mike Zaher D UCLA

35 Joseph Lapira F Notre Dame

Supplemental Draft

58 Xavier Balc F Ohio State

The table shows how the player was obtained:

(T)ransfer/(T)rade — TFC paid a transfer fee/Trade

(F)ree — a free agent and TFC paid no fee

(D)raft — selected in the MLS draft

(N)TC — a Canada National Training Centre selection

Spot Name Pos From How

On Trial 2008

# Name Pos From

<s>1 Stefan Honore M France </s>

<s>2 Tyler Rosenlund M UCSB </s>

<s>3 Jaime Watson F Real Salt Lake </s>

<s>4 Josh Wagenaar G ADO Den Haag </s>

<s>5 Kiki Musampa M AZ Alkmaar HOL</s>

<s>6 Tony Vairelles F Tours FC FRA</s>

<s>7 Robbie Gaspar F AUSTRALIA</s>

<s>8 Martin Brittain M Walsall EN</s>

<s>9 Victor Danilo Pacheco M COL</s>

<s>10 Leonardo Pole F COL</s>

<s>11 Kevin Gall F Carlisle ENG F</s>

<s>12 Rohan Ricketts M Barnsley ENG</s>

<s>13 Olivier Tebily D Birmingham ENG</s>

2007 Roster Dance http://www.insidesoccer.net/?p=644

Note: Salaries are 2008 numbers.

Senior Roster: 18 players that count against the teams salary cap. Players on the senior roster earn between $33,000 and $400,000 per season.

Developmental Roster: 10 players that do not count against the league salary cap. Developmental players earn between $12,900 and $17,700 per season. Developmental players must be 25 years old or younger.

Canadian Players: have Canadian Citizenship or who have landed immigrant status.

American Players: have American Citizenship or who have a green card.

For example Pat Onstad who is a Canadian and holds an American green card, counts as an American with his current team Houston. If he was to play for TFC, he would count as a Canadian.

International: for a USA based team any player who does not meet the above definition for an American. For TFC, any player who does not meet the above definition for a Canadian.

Designated Player: a player signed for more then $400,000 per season. Teams are each allocated one designated player slot. Teams may trade for unused DP slots.

Generation Adidas Player: a High School or college undergraduate player who is signed by the league. In addition to their salary, GA players receive a college education paid by the league. GA players are placed on the developmental roster. GA players do not count against the salary cap and are not subject to the $17,700 maximum salary of other developmental players.

Superdaft: four round draft of college seniors and Generation Adidas players.

Supplemental Draft: four round draft of college seniors and other players nominated by MLS teams.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Glad to see this thread back.

One question: the first $400k of the DP's salary counts against the cap, right?

Correct. However, if a team has a 2nd DP the cap hit for that player is only $325K.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Glad to see this thread back.

One question: the first $400k of the DP's salary counts against the cap, right?

Correct. However, if a team has a 2nd DP the cap hit for that player is only $325K.

xTFCers Jose Cancela and Ritchie Kotschau have been waived by their teams.

A waiver draft will be held tomorrow at 1 PM, TFC will have 2nd pick, very rare that anyone is picked up in these drafts.

Might be a good way to deal with the later draft picks like Zaher and Balc if they are seen as being worth keeping around. I would question whether Lombardo really deserves a senior roster deal at this point, however. Nothing in the regulations on the mlsnet website to suggest he can't be demoted in that regard:-

(B) DEVELOPMENTAL ROSTER

MLS teams shall not have more than 10 developmental players on their developmental roster at any time (unless a player is added as a season-ending injury replacement). Developmental players can be either domestic or international and must be 25 years of age or younger during the calendar year of competition. These players do not count against a team's salary budget. They are signed to non-guaranteed contracts and thus, can be waived at any time. Teams are permitted an unlimited number of signings during a given season to ensure all 10-man developmental roster spots are occupied at any one time. Generation adidas players and domestic and international underclassmen, form part of a team's Developmental Roster. They are acquired by MLS teams through the SuperDraft, Lottery, Discovery or waiver system (see below) if they join the League after the SuperDraft.

What is really interesting is the question marks after "Canadians" in 2009 and 10.

quote:Do you know how recently? The reference to "YI's" seems to date this somewhat.

As an expansion team TFC was allocated 5 YI for two years, since the YI designation no longer exists, they are converted to Internationals.

quote:Originally posted by MM2

As an expansion team TFC was allocated 5 YI for two years, since the YI designation no longer exists, they are converted to Internationals.

Yes I know - and that's the part that seems to date this. IIRC it has been several months since they got rid of the YI status, I'd be surprised if they have that in the locker room this year (although it is a bit surprising that they even have this info up locker room to begin with).

is it just me, or does the 2008 roster not look very much better than what we had in 2007?

i remember near the end of last season Mo said he wanted 2 new defenders, 2 new midfielders, 2 new strikers.

granted, TFC may have those new players through the draft, but i was expecting some roster changes this off-season with a little more bang.

quote:Originally posted by ovalroaster

i remember near the end of last season Mo said he wanted 2 new defenders, 2 new midfielders, 2 new strikers.

granted, TFC may have those new players through the draft, but i was expecting some roster changes this off-season with a little more bang.

To the best of my knowledge we haven't added any new strikers as yet, via the draft or any other means. Although there is still time, it would not surprise me if we only have four on the entire roster by the time we start the season.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

or directly to the Sunderland Echo article.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/Cats-midfielder-to-join-Beckham.3839310.jp

The author of that article needs a lesson in Canadian geography.

"Toronto are well-financed and their first season in the MLS has been a success with crowds of more than 20,000 turning up to support the East Coast side."

Heck, we're not even on the east coast of Lake Ontario.....

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Do you know how recently? The reference to "YI's" seems to date this somewhat.

Recently, as in last month or so is my impression but will try to investigate further. He has only been mentioning it for the last couple of weeks or so. I thought the YI thing was not that odd as the two extra YIs for being an expansion team and the additional one from the Cancela trade are important for understanding why it can be 16 non-Canadians this year and you need to understand the old system to know why 6 rather than 3 YIs would be turning into International roster spots in '08. What I found strange, since I have not heard it mentioned elsewhere, is the 3 (rather than 2) extra Americans in '09 and '10.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

To the best of my knowledge we haven't added any new strikers as yet, via the draft or any other means. Although there is still time, it would not surprise me if we only have four on the entire roster by the time we start the season.

Not sure that is accurate Balc and Lapira can both play up front. Jamie Watson the former RSL player who has been trying out is a striker as is Jarrod Smith the 2007 draft pick from New Zealand.

Latest from Florida according to Gerry Dobson.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/gerry_dobson/2008/03/04/winds_of_change/

Thirty-four year old former French international Tony Vairelles is in camp. He has eight career caps for France. Robbie Gaspar is an Australian. Twenty-two year old Donald comes via Inverness in Scotland. Martin Brittain spent time at Newcastle, and more recently at Walsall. And Dutch international Kiki Musampa has made a return appearance. Maybe some money is better than no money at all.

Tony Vairelles and Dean McDonald are strikers according to wikipedia. Good news on Musampa being back, in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_McDonald

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Vairelles

Mark Robbie Gaspar:

Some odd forum stuff on him from 07:

"The only australian who played in indonesia premier league..."

and from 04:

"Robbie Gaspar played for Perth Glory two seasons ago. He's quite young - 22 years - and has a good left foot. He scored 10 goals in the Malaysian Premier Division last year (Malaysia just recently renamed the top division as the Super League; Premier League is basically division 2). He's big with the Sabah fans and has been known for his crosses and freekicks. I was wondering if he enjoyed the same success with Perth."

you tube hilights: http://youtube.com/user/glengaspar

I feel sorry for the TFC fans who were expecting at least the odd big name - at least Musampa is back - presumably only becuase he is close to signing, right?

Archived