Article on Expansion

CanadianSwede

There will never be promotion relegation in North America. NEVER going to happen. I wish people would get off it.

If MLS is going to rip something off from every other league in the world, it should be an FA like Cup, thus ditching the stupid playoffs at the end of the season. 1st place gets it. None of this neutral site one game final shiite.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

There will never be promotion relegation in North America. NEVER going to happen. I wish people would get off it.

If MLS is going to rip something off from every other league in the world, it should be an FA like Cup, thus ditching the stupid playoffs at the end of the season. 1st place gets it. None of this neutral site one game final shiite.

I agree with you on the playoff/cup scenario but I'm never going to give up on promotion and relegation.

A lot of North American fans say soccer is boring...well it doesn't help when you give them a useless end of season game between RSL and some other crappy team that won't be in the playoffs (the amount of these types of games is only going to increase as the league expands). When there is nothing meaningful on the line, the game is just a glorified friendly and the product on the field reflects that.

Promotion/relegation would not only be new to North American sports fans, it would make every game important. And that is when soccer is at its best!!

My question on the J-League is did the clubs pay franchise fees or yearly memberships fees? That is the only way pro/rel systems can work for the owners. No owner is going to make a huge investment with the chance of dropping in one year. All expansion clubs need to start in MLS-2 or it won't work.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Agreed.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Soccer does't need to sell the the game anymore. The fans are already there and will continue to grow due to immmigration patterns, its just matter of getting them out. It would be suicidal from a business standpoint to have Pro/rel if you are going to have a salary cap or spending restraints because it would mean that the possibility of a New York or LA club being relegated in favour of, say, a Hampton Road Admirals . Good luck attracting sponsors or selling your rights when your league doesn't include a team in New York but does include a team in virginia beach or Hampton Roads and that plays on a high school field.

Leagues throughout the world would be better off if they didn't have pro/Rel. Essentialy, all it does is promote the "MYTH" that everyone has a chance. Pro rel is Its remenant of time of amateurism in club soccer. Sports leagues under the franchise model have prospered and increased in value at a far better greater rate than some of the most recogizable clubs around the world.

Archived