Reid Fraser signs with UCSB

Gaucho

In a recent tradition of Canadians attending UC Santa Barbara, the school announced today that Reid Fraser has signed to play for the Gauchos next year (long rumored that he would). He is part of a massively talented class including 2 players from the Youth US National team. We have not had a target forward since Rob friend graduated. Anyone have any thoughts on Fraser?

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/022908aaa.html

Go Canada!

Go Gauchos!!!

From Article:

quote:

Fraser comes to Santa Barbara after leading Oak Bay Secondary in goals scored each of the last three seasons. A three-year letterwinner in high school, Fraser also trained with Sheffield Wednesday F.C.'s youth squad in the English Championship League and became the youngest Canadian player to be offered a professional contract with a European club since Owen Hargreaves joined FC Bayern Munich at the age of 16. The striker declined the offer, opting to pursue a college education and signed with UCSB this week...

So straight out of a high school team this kid get offered a contract with a championship side?

This is surprising to me... exactly how high is the level of play of Canadian high school teams?! I would have thought very low, but...

• 1 year later...

He is back on trial with Wednesday, and scored in a pre-season tune-up last week. Good, I had thought his name dropped from the UCSB roster meant that he might be finished, especially with rumours of knee problems. I think that, honestly, this could be a great move for him, as they obviously have had a lot of continued interest in the young lads, and one would imagine the training at an ambitious English side to be superior and more intensive than US college ball.

"Jack Barnett bagged two goals as a Sheffield Wednesday XI overcame Dinnington Town last night.

Also on the scoresheet for the Owls was highly-rated midfielder James Cottingham and returning Canadian trialist Reid Fraser.

This win will give the youngsters huge confidence going into next season, and it's also a measure of how far they have come, as a Wednesday XI were defeated by 'Dinno' last season.

The youngsters now face opposition their own age with trips to Hull and Grimsby, before squaring up against newly promoted Stocksbridge Park Steels (22nd July) and Frickley Athletic on the 29th."

http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=161599

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

This is surprising to me... exactly how high is the level of play of Canadian high school teams?! I would have thought very low, but...

Well, during my high school playing days a few years ago, you would get rushed and hit hard the moment you got the ball. Not unlike the Premiership dare I say. So, with that in mind, I'm guessing he probably learned to be quick in that environment.

quote:Originally posted by Mazha

FYI --- Fraser did not play ONE game for Santa Barbara last school year! What does that tell US!

From what I understand, one of the problems with the US college soccer system is that the pecking order essentially forbids freshmen from starting. If that's true then that whole argument is essentially negated.

and...ummm. he is a 6'5 200 lb striker at all of 18 or 19 years of age and has garnered continued interest from a respectable British club - he may turn out to be a curious flop of a story fit only for the likes of the Times-Colonist but I think it's one that is at least worth following.

I don't know if Fraser could come back even if he wanted. He may have left the school officially already. He also may have blown his eligibility if he wasn't careful to follow NCAA rules while on trial. Plus, UCSB had a big recruiting class, and I doubt they left a spot open for Fraser. The coaches have mentioned needing to cut a few players. However, since Fraser did not play last year, he likely has 4 years remaining if he does choose the college route.

I can't really speak to other programs, but UCSB regularly plays freshman. I believe there were several games last year where we had 4-5 freshmen starting and as many as 7 on the field at a given time. When Rosenlund was a freshman, he even started in the national championship match in 2004. But I concede that not many freshman who play forward start.

• 2 months later...

Fraser ended up at UVIC this year:

"Even with all the returning players, which also includes the likes of William Gye and Kyle Kostis, Wilson still went out and added more talent. Some of the new faces are Bobby Eng from Stelly's, Andrew Ravenhill from Claremont, former Oak Bay player Reid Fraser and 'keeper Eliot Mitrou from Oak Bay."

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Vikes+well+equipped+defend+title/1987067/story.html

Fraser ended up at UVIC this year:

"Even with all the returning players, which also includes the likes of William Gye and Kyle Kostis, Wilson still went out and added more talent. Some of the new faces are Bobby Eng from Stelly's, Andrew Ravenhill from Claremont, former Oak Bay player Reid Fraser and 'keeper Eliot Mitrou from Oak Bay."

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Vikes+well+equipped+defend+title/1987067/story.html

Archived