An Open Letter to Domenic Maestracci......

Winnipeg Fury

http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-february/bcsw-feb-07.htm

An open letter to Domenic Maestracci

February 7, 2008 - Jeff J. Valiant, CEO Cygcom

Mr. Maestracci;

I am a fourth generation Canadian, borne in Quebec, a sibling of 4, living in Ontario. Professionally, I'm an entrepreneur, educated in Canada, built an international communications business, sold it, and am now building another. My involvement in soccer started when I was 9 years old through a community club program called St. Andrews Soccer Club. It was here that I learned to love the game, developed my sense of team values, learned to respect others, work hard, compete hard, and take pride in our accomplishments. Yes, your organization has a history and has contributed to my Canadian identity in more ways than just the game itself.

It is difficult for me to sit back and watch how the CSA operates today evidenced by your framework document. I am very disappointed as a Canadian soccer supporter to see yet another publication from the CSA of such inconsequential effect. A strategic framework must take into consideration at the very least organizational challenges (internal and external), an assessment of finances, strategic partnerships, uses of technology, and a vision for the future. Frankly, a document consisting of a few more pages than seven and packed with facts assembled from day-to-day operations based upon organizational policies. Mr. Maestracci, this document reflects poorly on you.

Good organizations have vision, are in constant communication with their internal and external constituents, have a clearly defined mission, a structure of operation, the ability and determination to accomplish goals and strive daily to improve.

Finances, practical thinking among staff members and exceptional leadership are essential threads to the fabric called organizational competence. My criticism reflects on your organizations competence which is a must have in your fight to remain viable. I am of the opinion the CSA is at a cross roads with in our society; is it a viable organization with significant social value, or a defunct self absorbed collection of people promoting self importance based on other soccer nations success in "the beautiful game"? Your publication draft tells me the CSA is in a very deep hole and concerned about a cave in.

In closing, I suggest you direct your peers and staff members to go back to the drawing board and start again. Produce a strategic framework for the CSA. Lead this nation's game of soccer into the future. Demonstrate to your constituents that the CSA has leadership, embodies the sprit of the game and possesses a sense of responsibility for the dreams and values our children and young athletes gain through participation. You, the board, and your chosen staff are the governing body of soccer in Canada; be accountable.

Best Regards

Jeffrey J. Valliant

CEO Cygcom

www.cygcom.com

"In closing, I suggest you direct your peers and staff members to go back to the drawing board and start again. Produce a strategic framework for the CSA. Lead this nation's game of soccer into the future. Demonstrate to your constituents that the CSA has leadership, embodies the sprit of the game and possesses a sense of responsibility for the dreams and values our children and young athletes gain through participation. You, the board, and your chosen staff are the governing body of soccer in Canada; be accountable."

This is impossible. These individuals are not leaders, so how on earth can they lead.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

The CSA should not be given the mandate to run the MNT. They are not capable. End of story.

That completely sums it up! Let them do what their good at, which is collecting $$$ of the 800,000 plus registered members they claim to have. Other than that they don't do much for soccer in this country!

quote:Originally posted by Robert

That completely sums it up! Let them do what their good at, which is collecting $$$ of the 800,000 plus registered members they claim to have. Other than that they don't do much for soccer in this country!

Bite your tongue Robert. if we want them to get their hands off the national team, the first thing that must happen is that they must lose the access to all that registration money.

the CSA, as structured, is a incapable of providing the leadership/stewardship needed at this time.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by leekoo

oh,oh

not a good start ...

be vewy, vewy careful ...

CYGCOM, Inc. is a vertically focused business consultancy pracitce based in Canada.

(About CYGCOM opening sentence)

While we're at it:

"In April 2007, Jeff Valliant founded CYGCOM, Inc. under a new mission with in a familiar industry providing his business skills, industry knowledge, and solution expertise as a service. CYGCOM, Inc. aims to excelarate delivery of ISV, OEM, Manufacturer, Reseller, and Service Provider commerical offerings to it's intended customers."

'with in' should be one word.

Sp - excelerate

'its' instead of 'it's'

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Bite your tongue Robert. if we want them to get their hands off the national team, the first thing that must happen is that they must lose the access to all that registration money.

the CSA, as structured, is a incapable of providing the leadership/stewardship needed at this time.

Why? Why shouldn't the CSA be given the mandate to run youth soccer? I understand that some people on this board are involved in the system and have their own opinions based on their experience. But objectivly, if you polled a random sample of V's, I think the overwhelming majority would be perfectly happy to let the CSA run youth soccer as is. We care about the MNT and, in thread after thread, it's been identified that any deficiency in player development is mainly attribituable to the lack of professional infrastructure -a reality which is also well beyond the mandate of the Association. Why should the registration fees support, in anyway, the MNT? That's bush league and not fair to the kiddies.

10-12 FIFA dates per year, with WCQ and Gold Cup should be enough for MNT to attract adequate sponsorship and become self-sustaining. If any subsidies are required, they should come from the three professional clubs. International footballers, even for Canada, are worth more money. It's in the clubs interest to develop talent for the National Team and ensure that the program is adequately funded.

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

While we're at it:

"In April 2007, Jeff Valliant founded CYGCOM, Inc. under a new mission with in a familiar industry providing his business skills, industry knowledge, and solution expertise as a service. CYGCOM, Inc. aims to excelarate delivery of ISV, OEM, Manufacturer, Reseller, and Service Provider commerical offerings to it's intended customers."

'with in' should be one word.

Sp - excelerate

'its' instead of 'it's'

mama mia!!

santa maria !!

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Why? Why shouldn't the CSA be given the mandate to run youth soccer? I understand that some people on this board are involved in the system and have their own opinions based on their experience. But objectivly, if you polled a random sample of V's, I think the overwhelming majority would be perfectly happy to let the CSA run youth soccer as is. We care about the MNT and, in thread after thread, it's been identified that any deficiency in player development is mainly attribituable to the lack of professional infrastructure -a reality which is also well beyond the mandate of the Association. Why should the registration fees support, in anyway, the MNT? That's bush league and not fair to the kiddies.

10-12 FIFA dates per year, with WCQ and Gold Cup should be enough for MNT to attract adequate sponsorship and become self-sustaining. If any subsidies are required, they should come from the three professional clubs. International footballers, even for Canada, are worth more money. It's in the clubs interest to develop talent for the National Team and ensure that the program is adequately funded.

I don't have a problem with a national body overseeing the delivery of youth soccer. If that's not clear in my posts, then I apologize.

However, as structured, there is no mechanism for real national body authority because the CSA is essentially a puppet of the provincial organizations, some of whom have less financial clout than a few big youth clubs in the 905 region of the GTA.

When I and others say Sack the CSA, what we really mean is Sack the Current structure and start over. It will take forever to go into detail now. I'll be posting something in the next few days that will give an idea of what I (and others I'm working with) have in mind.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Exactly VPjr. Ha capito. The best way that those of us who are totally fed up with the manner in which the CSA has mismanaged the affairs of Canadian soccer can contribute to their demise is to withdraw all our support from every CSA revenue generating scheme. Do not renew your CSA membership! Do not buy products from their sponsors! Do not enter your childern in any CSA programs. They MUST be financially crippled. The only money the CSA gets from me is the tickets I buy to see our senior men's National team when they play a rare game in Canadan. I do this because I refuse to turn my back on our team. I will always support the men's team regardless of who is managing them. However, I must confess that on several ocassion I have entertained the idea that as much as it would tear my heart apart, it would almost be worth the sacrafice of one World Cup campaign if it would rid us of those F.S.O.B.'s.

Ahhh if only our glorious experts would do same here after years of failure....

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldFootballNews/idUKL09855220080209

Soccer-Guatemala coach Gomez quits

Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:23pm GMT Email | Print | Share| Single Page | Recommend (0) [-] Text [+] GUATEMALA CITY, Feb 9 (Reuters) - Guatemala coach Hernan Dario Gomez has quit following a 5-0 defeat Argentina's under-23 team in a friendly international, saying he had failed to make progress in more than two years at the helm.

"I'm leaving because I haven't been able to achieve what I wanted," said the Colombian, who led his own country at the 1998 World Cup and took Ecuador to their first finals four years later.

"I've been here for two-and-a-half years without making any headway.

"My dreams have been shattered and I'm sad because everywhere I've been, I've finished what I started."

Guatemala were thrashed by Argentina in Los Angeles on Wednesday. Argentina fielded the under-23 side they hope will retain their Olympic title in Beijing in August.

Gomez was in charge for 20 games, winning five and losing 11. His side reached the quarter-finals of last year's CONCACAF Gold Cup before losing 3-0 to Canada.

Guatemala, who have never played at the World Cup, start their 2010 qualifying campaign with a two-leg tie against either Turks & Caicos Islands or St Lucia in June. (Reporting by Herbert Hernandez, editing by Rex Gowar)

I always look forward to Sundays, .....

sit back review the threads and discussions of the past week.....

can we expect more Valient like letters.... or something different for next week?

and then hypothetically speaking, who would you rather have as a TD?

Gomez or perhaps, Edmonton's Sean Fleming?

(if anyone feels like speaking to the Gomez/Fleming ?, a new thread would be appropriate)

Archived