Jono de guzman and the Canadian Sports Media

Ian Kennett

I have a request for all Canadian sports writers.

Please igonore Jonothan de guzman forever. Please do not mention his name on the radio, on the television, or in any internet or print media unless it is to criticise his decision to not play for Canada.

If the timing of interviews and decisions was accurate, he was less than truthful with Sportsnet's Gary Dobson, he has declared himself to be Dutch, and he has opted to play soccer for Holland. In effect, as far as Canadian sports goes, he has ceased to be Canadian in any fashion.

Please direct your efforts toward the CSA, strong crticism of its present structure as well as powerful comparisons to the soccer ruling bodies of other nations, as well as sugestions as to how the CSA can improve its way of developing the Canadian players and the game of soccer in Canada.

Let's move on. jono de guzman is gone and is now nothing to us. Support his brother, Julian, a true Canadian, and the Canadian team. Let's hear about Dwayne de Rosario, Aatiba Hutchinson, Jim Brennan, Paul Stalteri, Rob Friend, and the many, many more Canadians who sweat blood for the Canadian team, but please, in future, ignore anything to do with little brother who chose to play for Holland. We are not interested any more.

Thanks!

He'll be forgotten by the Canadian media in the same way that Greg Rusedski was. Before he became 'British' (the pre-Whoregreaves), we would get his result at the end of any tennis story on the TV sports. Once he decided that he was 'British' that all stopped and he was mentioned no more unless he managed to fluke his way into the Wimbledon 4th round or quarters.

I think you're not going to hear much about him at all basically because he's playing for Holland. We tend to hear about Hargreaves a decent amount simply because the Canadian media has a hard-on for the England team and treat it as the unofficial national team for Canadians to cheer for since they don't feel Canada is worthy of mainstream coverage. There's only one country that Sportsnet and TSN will ALWAYS show highlights of and it's England. Holland... not so much.

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

I have a request for all Canadian sports writers.

Please igonore Jonothan de guzman forever. Please do not mention his name on the radio, on the television, or in any internet or print media unless it is to criticise his decision to not play for Canada.

I agree. If Jonathan does manage to play in a world cup with Holland I don't want to hear the "local boy makes good" angle. Not for Hargreaves, not for DeGuzman, not for anyone. They should be thought of as any other foreign players and the word Canadian should not come into the discussion.

Owen did get quite a bit of attention after being named Man of the Match against Portugal (in a losing cause...the only one to score for England in PK's too) but what you are asking of the media can not be and should not be done. I appreciate everyones emotions on this matter but the media gets enough slack for being biased and this is simply the same thing....let's not cover Johnathan for a decision he made and let's forget about his talent on the field. How many athletes have we accepted as our own after they left their country of origin. I simply think we have to respect their decisions as their own even if we disagree.

Ok... I know that you dont want the media to even breathe the words Jon DeGuzman, but The Soccer Show on the Fan590 in Toronto will have Bobby DeGuzman live tonight (show starts 9pm).

On Sunday, Nigel Reed and Luke Wileman will hose a 2 hour soccer call in show on the same radio station (online at www.fan590.com). If you hear anything that you want to comment on live, you will get the shot to call in and vent on Sunday.

Happy Listening.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Ok... I know that you dont want the media to even breathe the words Jon DeGuzman, but The Soccer Show on the Fan590 in Toronto will have Bobby DeGuzman live tonight (show starts 9pm).

On Sunday, Nigel Reed and Luke Wileman will hose a 2 hour soccer call in show on the same radio station (online at www.fan590.com). If you hear anything that you want to comment on live, you will get the shot to call in and vent on Sunday.

Happy Listening.

I'm glad i don't live in Toronto right now otherwise i might be tempted to listen to Bobby proclaim that the country that took him in is not worthy of his son and anyone who disagrees is just a whiny nationalist.

Besides that, I'm sure we've all met a hockey dad at some point who is convinced their son is the next big thing in the NHL, who slags refs and coaches for penalizing or not playing his son, and is generally an a*hole to other parents. That is what Bobby de Guzman is to me, and it's disgusting.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

Which other Bobby was on and can anybody report what was said on the show?

Bobby Sr. was on and from my short notes he basically said:

-He has always advised his sons to make their own decisions

-That Canada supporters would have to live with and respect his decision

-That it wasn't an easy decision for Jono

- The CSA approached Jono for the U-17's and he declined

-He stated that Jono isn't the saviour of Canadian soccer and that the csa would have to clean up their act in the future to attract players in Jono's situation

-He listed off all the usual complaints about the CSA and compared them to a house league club and called them unproffesional (couldn't help but agree with him on that one)

-He also stated when asked that patriotism never entered into Jono's decision but the only thing that made him even consider Canada was playing with his brother.

quote:

-He also stated when asked that patriotism never entered into Jono's decision but the only thing that made him even consider Canada was playing with his brother.

That last one is the one that I cannot and will never be able to understand. At the end of the day it is the MOST IMPORTANT thing that should enter into the decision.

You either get a lump in your throat when you hear the anthem after a gold medal at the Olympics or you don't. I have taught kids who know in their heart they are American even though they have lived every day of their life in Canada. Many people in this country are physically in Canada but not emotionally in Canada. You can exist comfortably here and not speak English or French. If you choose, all of your information and culture can come from the US or now everywhere via the internet. This is the country we have created, for better or worse.

quote:Originally posted by brandon

Bobby Sr. was on and from my short notes he basically said:

-He has always advised his sons to make their own decisions

- The CSA approached Jono for the U-17's and he declined

So 15 yr old Jono made his own decision to not represent Canada back in '02 and it was because he didn't feel Canadian after living 3 years abroad? Right Bobby. <eyeroll>

Archived