Victoria United FC

Marco07

The club held a press conference today to announce four items to the public.

• The return to Royal Athletic Park for 2008
  • Coach Ben Hooker returning for a 2nd season
  • 2008 Season Tickets Now On Sale
  • The unveiling of http://www.VictoriaUnited.com

It got hits on all the local news broadcasts, and will also be in the papers tomorrow. Lot's of plans in the works and the website will be the #1 source of information for the public.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I guess the board is feeling threatened by the Highlanders group. You may notice in the links that there's "World News" and MLS news...and that's it, even though the USL is represented in Vancouver Seattle and Portland.

I suspect that has more to do with the availability of a feed than any prejudice against the USL.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

The logo needs to be updated!

I've been saying we need a new crest for years. :)

BTW I say crest because we are not a business with logo but a community-owned football club. Any supporter is welcome to join and choose the Board of Directors.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I suspect that has more to do with the availability of a feed than any prejudice against the USL.

Correct Richard. We are looking into USL feeds as we speak. It was definately not a slight against anyone.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I guess the board is feeling threatened by the Highlanders group. You may notice in the links that there's "World News" and MLS news...and that's it, even though the USL is represented in Vancouver Seattle and Portland.

Actually, the creation of the new website was in the works prior to anyone knowing there would be a PDL club in Victoria. It was a part of our 2008 marketing plan.

Everyone at the club is supportive of the PDL club. It can only help improve the profile of soccer within our community, anything that does that is welcomed.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am definitely going to try to get to a Vic United game this summer, so will be in touch beforehand. July 19 looks like my only option over there.

Ted, are you involved with the team enough to travel with them?

quote:Originally posted by mjd

anybody heard of when there will be tryouts for Vic U.

Spoke to the coach this evening and he is hoping to have tryouts the first week of April. You could email him coach(at)victoriaunited.com for more info.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Ted, are you involved with the team enough to travel with them?

I wish. I have three small kids (OK one is now 10!!!) so getting away for summer weekends is rare. :) I should be at all home games however, maybe we can grab a beer?

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

I noticed the schedule is really short and Victoria United manages to plays two games in two days no less than six times in the season.

1) Why is the schedule so short?

2) Why so many back-to-back games?

At the beginning of the PCSL summer season the BC provincial championships have run later and later as the years have passed. They now extend into mid May and several of the PCSL clubs share players with winter season clubs who won't release them.

At the end of the PCSL season the colleges and universities prohibit their players from continuing to play for their summer teams much past the end of July now and many PCSL clubs share players with college/university teams both in Canada and the USA.

This has been a persistent and worsening problem for the PCSL but the league will be lengthening the season again from 2009. Clubs that are no longer able to field a team for the longer season may well have to drop out of the league or find another way to solve their player requirements.

The PCSL has also reclaimed its spot in the BC provincial championship to which it is entitled under the CSA constitution, much to the chagrin of some of the BC winter season leagues. This year the PCSL will be represented by the Vancouver Thunderbirds. The BCSA is having to resolve player availability/transfer issues that are bothering the winter leagues. The PCSL is tired of being Mr. Nice Guy and will no longer be quite so accommodating in future.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by ted

I wish. I have three small kids (OK one is now 10!!!) so getting away for summer weekends is rare. :) I should be at all home games however, maybe we can grab a beer?

Pencil in July 19 then, I'll be staying with a friend in downtown Vic that weekend.

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

College soccer is a huge problem for our sport in Canada. Something must be done.

You either play for your school or you play for your club.

Being part of two teams (or more in some cases) shouldn't be allowed.

Then we lose all the college players or do you think they should give up thousands of dollars worth of scholarships at NCAA schools for the chance to play amateur soccer? Our league plays during the time that College soccer is not being played. In the last decade college coaches have required their players to come back to school earlier and earlier to the point where they go back to school August 1st even though school terms do not start until after Labour Day in September.

We are not talking about pro clubs that pay money. The problem in Canada is not a conflict between college and clubs it is a lack of professional clubs. If you could offer a 17-year old a pro contract that paid a decent wage he might defer college but with nothing on the table but amateur soccer the choice is easy.

True.

The choice between amateur soccer and a scholarship isn't a hard one to figure out.

Canada really isn't a soccer country. Everything gets in the way of the sport here... incompetent managers in the CSA and several pronvincial federations, colleges luring players away, a general lack of vision nation-wide, politicians fearing soccer fans will disturb sensitive natural habitats...

We'll never see the end of it and keep playing three month long seasons here and there...

quote:Originally posted by ted

Then we lose all the college players or do you think they should give up thousands of dollars worth of scholarships at NCAA schools for the chance to play amateur soccer? Our league plays during the time that College soccer is not being played. In the last decade college coaches have required their players to come back to school earlier and earlier to the point where they go back to school August 1st even though school terms do not start until after Labour Day in September.

We are not talking about pro clubs that pay money. The problem in Canada is not a conflict between college and clubs it is a lack of professional clubs. If you could offer a 17-year old a pro contract that paid a decent wage he might defer college but with nothing on the table but amateur soccer the choice is easy.

A few more pro clubs wouldn't make even a small dent in this issue Ted. What is your solution to the ever shortening PCSL season then?

With all due respect Richard I am not sure what we are talking about any more as your response seems to deal with two different things.

A few more pro clubs wouldn't make even a small dent in this issue Ted.

Not really intended to make any dent in the PCSL season issue. More pro clubs offers an alternative development route for players and improves the chances of Canada qualifying for the World Cup. Doesn't really do anything for the PCSL since the PCSL is not a pro league.

The reality is that the PCSL cannot offer anything to college kids if the league will not accommodate their college careers.

quote:What is your solution to the ever shortening PCSL season then?

Ever Shortening? When I started going to United games in 1995 the season was May - Mid August with the league play ending around the end of July and two weekends of August for the two cup tournaments. We lost the August dates a couple of years ago but that is the only change. It has been very steady from my perspective. The only problems have been the up and down number of clubs which added fixtures. A problem the league created and can easily prevent in the future.

The PCSL season only needs to be extended by a couple of weeks. I would negotiate a settlement with the BSCA that abandons the Provincial Cup place in return for a constitutional amendment that the Prov Cup final is held on or before April 15th.

We have to accommodate the college kids as the league needs their contribution and frankly all our players need the league to not play in August so they can have some sort of rest before the winter league gets going.

Unless the PCSL is willing to become a pro league this is the best we can do. We should be focusing on making a ten-team league work in the season we have available rather than wasting energy, time and money pursuing more clubs, extending the season through August and a provincial cup berth.

^ Your opinion is noted, others don't hold the same opinion though. All I am doing is serving as a reflector.

The problem is I don't even know what opinion(s) we are disagreeing on! I have no idea what ambitions or goals the league has in the long term. I thought the league was happy simply ensuring continued operation. Is there a vision statement or a white paper somewhere that clearly outlines where the PCSL executive would like to be in 5-10 years?

[V]

Archived