De Guzman named CanadaSoccer.com Fans’ Choices

loyola

Players In The News

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Wilkinson and de Guzman named CanadaSoccer.com Fans’ Choices

The fans have made their selections: Canadian national-team players Rhian Wilkinson and Julian de Guzman have been selected 2007 CanadaSoccer.com’s Fans’ Choices. The two stars were recognized by Canadian fans in an online vote conducted on the Canadian Soccer Association’s website this month.

Both Wilkinson and de Guzman - each of whom have their own player website - received the most fan votes in their respective categories. The two adidas Canadian Players of the Year - Christine Sinclair and Dwayne De Rosario - both finished second in the respective categories. Teenagers Tiffany Cameron and David Edgar each finished third.

In 2007, Wilkinson was the Fédération de soccer du Québec Senior Player of Excellence. She took part in her second FIFA Women’s World Cup, this time traveling overseas to play in Hangzhou and Chengdu, China. She also won a bronze medal at the XV Pan American Games Rio 2007. In 14 games with the Winners - Canada’s women’s national team, she scored two goals - one against the United States and one against Jamaica. Throughout the season, fans followed Wilkinson’s career at http://www.rhianwilkinsonsoccer.com.

'A big thank you to all the Canadian women’s team fans who voted in this poll,' says Rhian Wilkinson. 'I am incredibly honoured as a Canadian athlete. I can only accept the award with humility, when you understand the quality and skill of my teammates. I know that fans from across the country supported me, so it was not just my extended family!! The Canadian women’s soccer team has some of the best and most loyal fans of any sport and any country, even when it has been so long since they have been able to see us play at home. My thanks go out to all of them. The Canadian women’s team value their support more than I can begin to say.'

In 2007, de Guzman was the Most Valuable Player at the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States. He scored two goals in the opening match against Costa Rica as Canada made their run to the tournament semi-final. Along with playing in 10 international friendly matches for Canada’s men’s national team, he opened his third season in Spanish football with Deportivo de La Coruña. Fans can visit his official website at http://www.enblanquiazul.org/deguzman.

'I would like to give a big thanks to those who have voted for me in this poll and I could only tip my hat to my teammates on the national team who helped me look good on the pitch,' says Julian de Guzman. 'Those who follow the national team continue to show amazing love and heavy support for the team in the country’s burgeoning sport. This is key in the revolution the men’s team is experiencing right now going into FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. Without this passion, I don’t think this player award would be possible for me to have. So I’m honoured as a Canadian to receive this award voted by fans, friends and family across the nation and globe. '

CanadaSoccer.com is the official website of the Canadian Soccer Association. The website features up-to-date news on all of Canada’s national teams, match-by-match statistics and profiles of every current and past national-team player, scores and records from the BMO National Championships, and information on all other aspects of the Association including training centres, coaching programs and referee programs.

Archived