The truth the soccerphobes refuse to face

royalcity

Holy ****?

This guy actually describes American soccer haters as ...

"America's soccerphobes no longer speak for America. They are a frightened, ignorant, embattled and increasingly bitter minority - an ugly coalition of young fogies, laddish homophobes, snarling misogynists, neo-con nogoodniks and gobbledygook-spewing, tin-foil-hat-wearing, knuckle-gnawing nutjobs. And let's not forget the ever-present and always unfunny comedy-of-conformity-spewing sports hacks."

here's the rest of the article

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/01/17/the_truth_the_soccerphobes_ref.html

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by royalcity

Holy ****?

This guy actually describes American soccer haters as ...

"America's soccerphobes no longer speak for America. They are a frightened, ignorant, embattled and increasingly bitter minority - an ugly coalition of young fogies, laddish homophobes, snarling misogynists, neo-con nogoodniks and gobbledygook-spewing, tin-foil-hat-wearing, knuckle-gnawing nutjobs. And let's not forget the ever-present and always unfunny comedy-of-conformity-spewing sports hacks."

here's the rest of the article

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/01/17/the_truth_the_soccerphobes_ref.html

The comments are pretty good too.

All sports are senseless if analyzed with any pretense of reason. What is good about the soccer-haters is that they inspire us to think of ways of fighting back. Though little things like steroids in baseball also help tear down those Americaness arguments: you mean being American involves stuffing yourself with drugs to maintain your illusion of success? Nice to know that.

Hate Jim Rome, his whiny voice telling me he's a macho man and all these other sports puppets with unprofessional bias towards one sport or another. If you're the host of a sports call in show you had better like or at least tolerate a wide range of sports. If you can't do that then have a baseball/hand-football call in show exclusively. He's going on my list with whoregreaves for men to kick in the balls if seen in an airport lounge. Hey, it could happen...[:o)]

I love these haters. I like to paint a picture for them saying what their dismissal of the sport means to the REST OF THE WORLD that plays football. NIL. In comparison, every other sport in the world can be termed a "niche" sport. Regardless how much money it makes a sport needs growth outside of one country to be healthy.

Archived