Looking back, 2006 WCQ

CanadasBest

I came across the following article written on "Planet World Cup" about the first 3 games of WCQ:

http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/2006/concacaf_update02.html

...When Canada took the field in Vancouver for the opener, the fans must have thought they'd fallen asleep after the Belize games and awakened in a parallel, and much more unsatisfactory, universe. No Tomasz Radzinski. No Iain Hume. No Jason DeVos. No Kevin McKenna. No Jim Brennan. What had happened?

A bunch of things. Hume was serving a suspension. McKenna had tendinitis. Radzinski, notorious in the past for shirking national team duty, had a calf injury. (OK, maybe he did.) DeVos had a hairline fracture of the fibula--except he didn't: the CSA doctors had misdiagnosed his injury, and he was actually able to play for Ipswich that weekend. Brennan, for his part, had simply been jettisoned. Yallop's roster was a huge surprise, with several promising but untried names from the B team, and no less than 5 players from the Montreal Impact in the A-league. And although "A-league" sounds great, it's really the B-league to MLS, and if you're not a fan of MLS, you'll use a letter further down the alphabet.

(By the way, you're probably wondering why the Montreal team has a name like "Impact" instead of a French word. Good question, and I'd be glad to give you 20 pages of sociological analysis on the topic, except the answer is that the French word for "impact" is... "impact." Is that weird or what?)

It would be nice to report that the plucky underdog Canadians did themselves proud, but they didn't. In fact, they played badly, going down 0:2 at home. Nevio Pizzolitto, the sub for DeVos, got beat for both goals, and they were simply outplayed by a Guatemalan side that were themselves not in top form.

... But for disbelief, it was hard to top Canada-Honduras. Canada just a few minutes away from a pulse-pounding victory; Honduras, for all their talent, desperate, going under. And then...

Well, let's start at the beginning. The home side needed a win, and although Bundesleaguer RB Paul Staltieri was fighting a knee injury, Hume, Radzinski, and DeVos were all back. Honduras, on the road for the second straight game, but against a less feared opponent, morphed their 4-4-1-1 into a 4-2-3-1, with Maynor Suazo and Wilson Palacios as double pivot, and Guerrero, Guevara, and DeLeón across the middle.

The first half was mostly Honduras. Although Radzinski tested Valladares early, the pivot controlled the midfield, and up front it was the David Suazo show. Despite a wet pitch, his pace was simply too much for the Canadian defense; no less than three times he made chances for Amado Guevara. First time El Lobo had an open net from 15 yards, but somehow hit the crossbar. Second time a low cross was just beyond his reach--not his fault, really. But third time he was in the area with time, space, and only the keeper to beat, and he placed his shot wrong. Pat Onstad made the nifty save, and at halftime it was still 0:0.

After so many missed opportunities, it was inevitable that Canada would come back in the second half. Jaime Peters, only 17 years old, came in to replace striker Paul Peschisolido; he went to the right wing, which meant Hume could go into the middle, where he was invaluable winning balls and starting attacks. Playmaker Julian DeGuzman, who had been forced way too deep in the first half, came to life. On the left wing, Dwayne DeRosario looked good with the ball at his feet, and up front Radzinski was showing Premiership quality. But, like Honduras in the first half, they missed their best chance--a weak Milton Palacios clearance found Daniel Imhof alone in the box from 15 yards, but defensive midfielders don't get those kind of chances often, and he skied it well over the bar.

The Canadian pressure abated after 25 minutes; it was still scoreless, still exciting, still anyone's game. Honduras had the better chances, but Suazo wasn't breaking free like in the first half. So, in the 82nd minute, it was time for Canada's finest to do what they do best. Iain Hume lifted a dangerous free kick to the far post; Jason DeVos rose up and headed down, and the home side were ahead. Honduras, winners by three clear goals at Costa Rica, had come up short in the far north.

But then...well, what's Canadian for "horrible incredible cosmic nightmare"? This. In the 88th minute, left back Ante Jazic, pinned against the touchline about 40 yards from his own goal, saw Onstad seemingly within reach, and sent him a backpass. But it was weak, way weak, and suddenly there was Suazo with the ball zeroing in on the keeper. Mark Watson, closing from the left, made a desperate flying tackle, and Suazo went down in the area. Mexican referee Benito Archundia (and don't ever mention that name north of the 49th parallel) signaled the inevitable penalty. But the replay showed Suazo hadn't been fouled. He hadn't been touched. He hadn't been grazed. He hadn't even dived: he had merely slipped on the wet grass. Guevara's spot kick tied the game.

Enough, certainly, for years of Canadian anguish--but not enough to satisfy the dark forces controlling the universe. A few moments later, Hume had a free kick from almost the same spot that had produced the goal. Again he sent it to the far post, again DeVos headed down, this time into the middle of the area. It bounced at waist level, and two men went after it: Honduras defender Milton Palacios, and Canada striker Olivier Occean. Occean got there first. He controlled it skillfully. He turned and shot home. The crowd went totally maple leaf. But...Palacios was on the ground, and the whistle had blown. No goal.

It wasn't clear whether Archundia had called a foul on Occean, or just dangerous play for a high leg. But the replay (maybe we're better off without them?) again told the horrible tale. No foul: Occean had got the ball, not Palacios. No dangerous play: the leg wasn't high enough. Two minutes, two blown calls, and Canada's world had collapsed. With 3 points, they would have been right in the race; with 1, they were barely hanging on. Frank Yallop had a classic coach's quote: "I won't use the word cheated, but that's what comes to mind." The fans--well, best not to quote them.

But at the Saprissa stadium in Costa Rica, the miracle of modern science was on display. FieldTurf, they call it, a FIFA-approved ARTIFICIAL surface for your spectating pleasure. Water worries? Try FieldTurf! See the artificial rolls and bounces! No more World Cup qualifying messes! Real artificial football every time! Only six easy payments of ten thousand dollars each! (Void where prohibited by local federations or Jack Warner.)

Canada, needing at least a point to stay alive, was missing two of its key men. Staltieri had very reasonably thrown a water bottle onto the field during the Honduras brouhaha, but alas, his only reward was a red card. DeVos was out with two yellows, and was replaced by another of those A-leaguers, Gabriel Gervais. For Costa Rica, Wanchope was fighting a mild injury, and with Herron suspended, Pinto started the second-string strikers, Erick Scott and Alvaro Saborio. Just to keep his hand in, the coach made another odd tactical move, using Alonso Solís, who had played on the left last time, in a free attacking role in the middle. So the team had no true left midfielder, requiring LB Leonardo González to move up and cover the space. With Iain Hume at right midfield, Canada might have taken advantage, but they never seemed to catch on.

The first 20 minutes were a relatively featureless artificial midfield duel; Costa Rica had a little more artificial possession, but Canada kept their artificial shape and caused occasional danger on the artificial counter. The most unartificial moment came when Dwayne DeRosario, having his best game yet at left midfield, beat his man to the byline and crossed low for an unmarked Radzinski at the far post. Radzinski inexplicably reacted late, and never got there. He really should have scored. But it was probably just as well. See, the referee had already ruled the ball was over the line before the cross. Guess what the replay showed? I don't think the bench would have stopped at water bottles this time.

As the half went on, Costa Rica got more of the play. Gervais and Mark Watson weren't marking Scott and Saborio closely enough, and Solís was making trouble on the dribble. Also, without DeVos, Canada was surprisingly weak in the air on defense. But Pat Onstad was in outstanding form, positioning himself perfectly, taking crosses with ease, delivering a goalkeeping master class. (Did I call him "suspect" in the preview? Props to those who came to his defense.) At the artificial interval, the teams were still even.

Okay. So you're the coach of Costa Rica. You're 0:0 at half, and you absolutely need to win the game. The best striker the team has ever had is on your bench. He's a little hobbled, but ready to play. Do you stick him in?

Of course. Even Steve Sampson couldn't have missed that one. But I suspect Jorge was a bit surprised when Paulo Wanchope scored only 10 seconds later. As Atiba Hutchinson got ready to clear a long ball, Wanchope charged in, went high to win it, and, still driving forward, volleyed hard and low into the far corner. A truly magnificent goal, and Canada never really recovered. They managed a few half-chances, and DeGuzman should have done better with an open shot from the top of the area, but Porras was stretched only once, when in the 82nd minute he dove to his right to save a free kick from Imhof. Costa Rica counterattacked at will; only more fine play from Onstad kept the scoreline unchanged. One-nil at home doesn't sound that great, but Costa Rica finally had a decidedly unartificial win.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Yallop's roster was a huge surprise, with several promising but untried names from the B team, and no less than 5 players from the Montreal Impact in the A-league.

I hope this point will be different this time around.

I don't have the tapes of these matches anymore but I do recall that in the CR match we seemed to play too many backpasses for Onstad to thump up the field, with a resulting loss of possession and a Tico counterattack to follow.

I wonder if we'll have any unattached 17 yeards play five of six games in the semi-final round and then go on to sign with Dale Mitchells old club. I hope not.

Hard to believe that at seventeen, and without a club, Jamie Peters played such a role in our World Cup Qualifying campaign, and now, at 21, he's a fringe player. That was the problem with our WCQ for 2006: stupid decisions like that.

I think that the biggest point from the article in regards to our prospects this time was the lack of depth in our squad - especially among the central defenders. The team struggled without de Vos. We need at least four CBs of this calibre if we are going to make it this time round. If the surgery he's had on his feet has worked like he says it has I think we need him back in the squad.

Stalteri, Hastings, Klukowski, Mckenna, Brennan, Hainault, Jazic, De Jong, Serioux, de Vos (if), Nsaliwa (bigger if), Edgar

Enough for 3 back lines without using a single USL player. As long as no blatantly idiotic decisions are made we should be in better shape this time around.

Is there a bit of sunshine coast bias in that article? He seems to hang the Guat goals in the Burnaby opener on Pizzolito when I distinctly recall swearing at the TV as Ruiz raced past the pylon known as Mark Watson.

Also, of note, Pesch started as a striker in both of the first two home games and was largely useless.

Also, Peters was indeed a 2nd half sub but Josh Simpson started that first game with no experience at that level. Atiba sat on the pine for 90'.

In the 2nd home game, Simpson was a later sub for the ineffective 2nd half sub Peters.

Both these young players could prove to be instrumental for us this qualifying, but were in well over their heads in the summer/fall of 2004.

BTW, I spoke to a certain nameless player who is now in Greece and he was somewhat hurt and very mystified by not even getting a f*ing phone call from the CSA for those opening games.

To compare, here is the original called Lineup. (Edit, for Guatemala)

Greg Sutton

Jason De Vos

Gabriel Gervais

Paul Stalteri

Ante Jazic

Adrian Serioux

Daniel Imhof

Atiba Hutchinson

Julian DeGuzman

Nevio Pizzolitto

Mark Watson

Josh Simpson

Jaime Peters

Tomasz Radzinski

Paul Peschisolido

Dwayne DeRosario

Oliver Occean

Mauro Biello replaced Radzinski

DeVos was removed and not replaced

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Also, of note, Pesch started as a striker in both of the first two home games and was largely useless.

That's something which national team managers always have to watch for: not only throwing the likes of green, 17 year olds but also sticking too long with veteran players beyond their "sell buy" date. Others here can argue the pros and cons of Pesch's performance but the lesson learned is that you have to evaluate the guy on the "now," not the past or what he may bring to the table in the future.

quote:

BTW, I spoke to a certain nameless player who is now in Greece and he was somewhat hurt and very mystified by not even getting a f*ing phone call from the CSA for those opening games.

You know Nsaliwa?

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

Stalteri, Hastings, Klukowski, Mckenna, Brennan, Hainault, Jazic, De Jong, Serioux, de Vos (if), Nsaliwa (bigger if), Edgar

Enough for 3 back lines without using a single USL player. As long as no blatantly idiotic decisions are made we should be in better shape this time around.

But if we look at just central defenders the depth is not fantastic. McKenna, Hainault and possibly Hastings are the only serious contenders that are available on your list at this moment. Hastings is still playing fullback for his club side and I don't think any of us would have actually considered him for the centre prior to the Gold Cup. Also, Hainault is still very young and learning. I thought the makeshift coupling of Hastings and Hainault did ok at the Gold Cup but they were prone to errors and in the end very lucky not to have been punished more often.

In regards to the possible replacements. Serioux is at best on the fringe of the squad right now... he played very little for Dallas last year. While his long throws are definitely something to consider, his play at the back for his club is what will get him into the side. BrennanFan also mentions Reda and Poz as options - but these guys have not shown the quality lately to be pushing into the National side. Brennan has done an admirable job filling in at this position with TFC. While I think most agree he is best utilized in a wide attacking role I would still pick him over either of Reda or Poz... but only if two of the other three were not available.

I've seen a lot of posts promoting the use of fullbacks or midfielders as central defenders in this forum... but it is very rare that this transition is successful. Central Defenders are usually the last players to beat. Just like a keeper, a CB can have a brilliant match for 89 minutes and 55 seconds... but then switch off for the wrong 5 seconds and its an 0-1 loss. This is a very difficult thing for players used to having cover behind them. Hutchinson or Nsawila have the physical ability for the position but are just not educated or experienced enough for WC qualifing in this position. Perhaps when we are going for 2014 things will be different. Maybe they will have developed the patience and maturity needed for a central defending role. After all, no one would have forseen Brennan being used in a central defending role in 2004. There is also no reason to believe, as of yet, that Nsawila will even be available for qualifying this time around due to his citizenship issues.

So at this moment we are left with McKenna and Hainault with Hastings and Brennan as makeshift cover... any injuries and we are back in the situation we were in at the beginning of the last campaign of using players that are just not up to the task at that level. So, I think it is esssential we have de Vos back in the mix.

I think De Vos back in the mix is a good thing especially as cover. The question is whether he would be willing to come and not be guaranteed a starting position. As someone said, you have to evaluate players in the here and now. At his age, I imagine he has lost a step or 2. That maybe ok for the championship, but I am concerned he would get burned at the international level. Especially if he is paired with McKenna. Right now, I would take McKenna over De Vos as he captained a bundesliga side last year and seems to be in his prime. Hainault is an interesting possibility but I think a year or 2 away from being a sure bet (he was also the guy who got burned on the cost rica goal in the friendly in Toronto). I am not as down on Serioux as others. He is fast so a good alternative to the slower footed partners. Edgar is a possibility if he could play 1/2 year on loan at a championship side. Nsaliwa is a long shot. I too think its very risky to move a player to central back who doesn't play that position for his club. For that reason, Brennan is more of an option if TFC is using him there although I think that is less likely this year.

quote:Originally posted by Martyr

I've seen a lot of posts promoting the use of fullbacks or midfielders as central defenders in this forum... but it is very rare that this transition is successful.

Unless you have an extended period of preparation (i.e. Hastings' 3+ weeks during the GC), you're setting yourself up for misfortune if you throw guys into positions they are not used to consistently playing, day in and day out at club level. Obviously, some players are used to being shifted around in different spots of the field where and when needed and do a good job on short notice (Essien comes to mind) but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

My point Bearcat is that given the problems we experienced last time in qualifying with injuries and corrupt officiating these two players would add some much needed depth to the CB position! We need to sort out our best pairing and play them in the friendlies! Experience has shown us though you better have a good plan B!

quote:Originally posted by Number6

Brennan I think is capable of being a CB for us. He was good enough at TFC and if we have other options wide and are short in the centre back position, he works.

I think that Brennan is a poor choice as a centre back option.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I think that Brennan is a poor choice as a centre back option.

Brennan, actually, is one of our best options at the position because he has the experience necessary to keep a cool head in difficult situations. I would feel more comfortable with him at CB than Klukowski, Hainault or Serioux. He still has decent speed and is one of our more accurate passers. He can also take a free kick.

I think the team would be more confident, and play better, with a proven warrior like Brennan back there than a kid like hainault or a player who has always been on the fringes of the team like hastings and serioux.

Archived