Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

^Nice updates. I wonder if Gordon speaks Mandarin and how he's settling in there.

As an aside Eddy Berdusco (Goal against Brazil '94) is listed on wikipedia as an expatriate in China. I know he played in China in the 90's but I remember someone here saying he had a hard time. I wonder if he's coaching in China or what he's up to.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by maqing

I guess Gordon is just not as talented as we thought he is. Career went downhill after the FIFA u-20 in UAE. In China he is actually used as an attacking right winger instead of his usual DM/Defender position.

I just updated his wikpedia page. The club name is Yantai Yiteng.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Chin

BTW he just scored his first goal in last Saturday's game.

Gordon Chin in action(pic):

http://sports.sohu.com/20080413/n256260448.shtml

I don't think Chin looked very good at the U-20. I remember him being one of our weakest starters on that team. He was hyped a lot on the board before that but didn't live up to the hype in that tournament or subsequently. I can't say I am surprised that his pro career hasn't really gone anywhere considering that several of the better players on that team have also not had great pro careers.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Kevin De Serpa is no longer with Mandalskameratene according to the club website: http://www.mandalskameratene.no/start.asp?p=2. Apparently his contract with the club was only for that balance of last season with an option to renew (http://fotball.aftenbladet.no/forstediv/article87354.ece), and there is nothing on Norwegian Google about where he might be now.

De Serpa still does not appear on Google after the weekends games, meaning he most likely did not appear on the stats sheets anywhere in the top 3 tiers of Norwegian football.

Did a search on 3 different online phone catalogues and all 3 came up with the same address in Haugesund for him, so there is a good chance he is still living in Norway.

I guess Gordon is just not as talented as we thought he is. Career went downhill after the FIFA u-20 in UAE. In China he is actually used as an attacking right winger instead of his usual DM/Defender position.

I just updated his wikpedia page. The club name is Yantai Yiteng.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Chin

BTW he just scored his first goal in last Saturday's game.

Gordon Chin in action(pic):

http://sports.sohu.com/20080413/n256260448.shtml

I thought someone mentioned that the Chinese leagues (even second tier) pay pretty foreign talent pretty well. So between the $$$ and his heritage/possible fluency in the the language, it's a good place for him.

I think it's safe to assume that Chin isn't going to develop into a future player on the international level for Canada. Not every U20 player does. It sounds like he's going to continue to pursue football as a career and that's not necessarily a bad thing for soccer in general in Canada.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Aljarov

Keegan Ayre released by Hibs.

You will probably know more then me about Ayre. According to the Scottish Football League Web Site. Ayre played 90 mins for Berwick in a 5-2 home loss to Raith Rovers. Berwich were up 2-0

quote:Originally posted by Jason

I thought someone mentioned that the Chinese leagues (even second tier) pay pretty foreign talent pretty well. So between the $$$ and his heritage/possible fluency in the the language, it's a good place for him.

I think it's safe to assume that Chin isn't going to develop into a future player on the international level for Canada. Not every U20 player does. It sounds like he's going to continue to pursue football as a career and that's not necessarily a bad thing for soccer in general in Canada.

Jason

Foreign import definitely gets paid much more in China Jia league. I think we can talk about over 100K US, not something USL team can offer.

But you have to perform better than the locals. Rumba Munthali has proved that. However I think he was a star in US college soccer and one of the better ones from Toronto lynx.

The problem with Gordon Chin is that he is more a small defender who plays a physical style. His skill was OK in the junior level but in the senior level he has neither the skill nor the size to be successful.

Actually there was a Canadian derby between Nanchang Bayi and Yantai Yiteng in Nanchang on Saturday. Both Canadians played. The game ended as a draw.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

^Nice updates. I wonder if Gordon speaks Mandarin and how he's settling in there.

As an aside Eddy Berdusco (Goal against Brazil '94) is listed on wikipedia as an expatriate in China. I know he played in China in the 90's but I remember someone here saying he had a hard time. I wonder if he's coaching in China or what he's up to.

I think Eddy Berdusco played for Foshan Fosidi club(China Jia league, 2nd div) in Guangdong province and had a successful time there back in 94. The club doesn't exist anymore.

Don't know where he is now.

Maybe Soju you can meet those Canadians when Nanchang Bayi or Yantai yiteng plays in Beijing. I think there is also a China Jia league team there, the Beijing Institute of Technology FC.

Yeah good idea. Do you follow Chinese football regularly maqing? There's also Beijing Hongdeng who play in a big stadium but it's a bit out of the way from where I live. I just watch Super league I've never seen a Jia league match. I might have to check it out...

quote:Originally posted by Aljarov

http://canucks-abroad.com/content/tough-week-young-canucks-abroad

Bad news for Canucks Abroad this week.

Keegan Ayre released by Hibs.

Haber, Giezen and Nonni all released by Groningen.

I have a story and some quotes from Ayre and Nonni on their next moves in the above link.

Thanks for the quotes and info from the players but I was surprised at the following bit:

quote:The reason for the Groningen releases wasn't because of skill. All were starters with the u-19 gron team and Haber scored consistently. The reason was because none met the dutch language requirements. Meaning they couldn't speak enough dutch to be kept.

I'm glad they were released, much rather see them in the UK or in the MLS.

Why would you be glad, because the English and MLS do such a better job of developing talent than the Dutch??????? Actually if the reason that they were released was lack of language skill than shame on the players for not working hard enough to learn the language and make full use of the opportunity.

i have heard word that all the canadian groningen fc players have been released including under 23 graham ramalho and that shaun saiko has also been released from middlesborough. Kyle bekker is definately not at ajax a1 or a2 i believe hes on trial somewhere in belgium

Fabian Troche is on trial somewhere in Europe. More info. promised if he's successful...

Concerning Saiko; as an '89 he will not be eligible for the U18's next season so if he doesn't get a contract he's out of Middlesbrough.

Bekker was on trial at Club Brugge a few months back, not sure what happened there.

Here's a text (reaction to a begin apris article from a local newspaper) in Norwegian where Brillant is mentionned (source : http://www.sarpsborgavisa.no/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080408/AKTUELT/731468960/1011/OKONOMI). He's isn't listed anymore on the players list of the Sarpsborgs website.

Can anyone translate or explain what's going on with him ?

penger til å hente en keeper, så midlene finnes.

I tillegg sparer klubben noe lønnskostnader ettersom enkelte spillere har vært ute en tid/vil være ute en tid.

Dekningen er ikke like god på alle plasser, og skader på en av de to foretrukne spissene (Wiig og Hoås er jo soleklare førstevalg) samt Weckstrøm (den eneste venstrebente kantspilleren i troppen. Masrouri kan også gjøre en god figur på kanten, men da må man benytte en høyrebent spiller på venstreback...) burde man helst vært foruten.

Her bør dekningen etter min mening bedres:

* Keeperplassen (Hent ny førstekeeper, ha Heier som backup)

* Venstreback (Med en rendyrket v.back på plass vil man ha dekning på venstresiden ettersom Masrouri kan spille både back og kant)

* Spiss (Har mange nok alternativer, men Turner er simpelthen ikke god nok. Zahiri er et spennende alternativ, men trenger tid på å tilpasse seg nivået. Hent en rask bakromsspiss!)

Vet ikke hvor lenge Weckstrøm blir ute, men det ville i alle fall være klokt å hente en erstatter for Hoås.

Odd-spissen F. Gulsvik kunne kanskje være interessert i et kortere leieopphold i Sarpsborg? God fart, bra fysikk og målteft. Bra bakromsspiss og vil således kompletere Wiig på en god måte.

Dersom "de tillitsløse" (Turner og Brillant) forsvinner i sommer, vil man få en god del ekstra midler å benytte på forsterkninger.

Synd at spillere som ikke engang er i troppen lønnes relativt godt.

Conny Karlsson kan i alle fall ikke beskyldes for å stå bak disse bomkjøpene. Turner gjorde riktignok en god figur i 2.div, men skulle aldri fått ny kontrakt. 2 trøstemål mot Godset var dessverre nok til å overbevise Kai Andersen...

C. Karlsson har startet en opprydning i spillerstallen og vil nok etter hvert spikre sammen en meget solid tropp.

Tipper de to ovennnevte forsvinner til sommeren.

Inneværende sesong vil avgjøre om Heier, Jusufi, Forsberg, Rustadstuen og Berge vil bli tilbudt nye kontrakter.

Klubben er trolig allerede i forhandlinger med Wiig og Tronseth.

Dette blir skikkelig bra på litt sikt! Gi Conny tid!

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

De Serpa still does not appear on Google after the weekends games, meaning he most likely did not appear on the stats sheets anywhere in the top 3 tiers of Norwegian football.

Did a search on 3 different online phone catalogues and all 3 came up with the same address in Haugesund for him, so there is a good chance he is still living in Norway.

It appears that he is back playing amateur ball in St Thomas. He has the distinction if I recall correctly of making that U17 team that was too good for Owen Hargreaves, Julian de Guzman and Michael Klukowski.

http://cgi.bowesonline.com/pedro.php?id=5&x=story&xid=394267

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Dersom "de tillitsløse" (Turner og Brillant) forsvinner i sommer, vil man få en god del ekstra midler å benytte på forsterkninger.

Synd at spillere som ikke engang er i troppen lønnes relativt godt.

Conny Karlsson kan i alle fall ikke beskyldes for å stå bak disse bomkjøpene. Turner gjorde riktignok en god figur i 2.div, men skulle aldri fått ny kontrakt. 2 trøstemål mot Godset var dessverre nok til å overbevise Kai Andersen...

C. Karlsson har startet en opprydning i spillerstallen og vil nok etter hvert spikre sammen en meget solid tropp.

Tipper de to ovennnevte forsvinner til sommeren.

This is a fan commenting on the newspaper article, so take it with a grain of dalt.

Basically he writes that Brilliant and Turner - who have lost the confidence of the coach and have to be described as flops - need to be moved off the payroll to clear budget room for reinforcements. He bets they will be gotten rid of this summer.

Hi YNWA,

don't know if it's enough proof for you but in the last edition of Quebec Soccer there's a little piece about quebekers playing in Europe (Bernier, Gerba, JBB, Hainault and PLacentino). Among them you can find Fabrice Lassonde who's listed with Ingolstad 04. He's quoted saying he's training with the reserves and playing games with the U-19. He's there since January according to the article.

^

He has not appeared in many games but here is proof that he is with the FC Ingolstadt U19's. From a game played Sunday, April 5th, FC I's lineup:

FC 04: Hoffer, Saller, Keskin, Räthke, Schapfl, Müller, Lassonde, Bertic ( 87. Bartoschek ), Hackner ( 67. Berchermeier ), Yohoua ( 74. Baydemir ), Eisenschenk.

I did a bit more searching and he was regularily in the lineup for March, has just missed a couple of recent (April) U19 games.

Anyone have any idea what's up with Adrian-Russel Kekec? He isn't at Livar anymore. The number he wore is now taken by a Milan Samardži#269;.

http://www.nklivar.si/index.php?option=com_joomleague&func=showPlayers&p=1&tid=1&Itemid=10

EDIT: probably went back to finish up his education at TWU. All I can say is he isn't at Livar. Although he may go back there, y'never know :D

Guest Jeffery S.

Foreign import definitely gets paid much more in China Jia league. I think we can talk about over 100K US, not something USL team can offer.

But you have to perform better than the locals. Rumba Munthali has proved that. However I think he was a star in US college soccer and one of the better ones from Toronto lynx.

The problem with Gordon Chin is that he is more a small defender who plays a physical style. His skill was OK in the junior level but in the senior level he has neither the skill nor the size to be successful.

Actually there was a Canadian derby between Nanchang Bayi and Yantai Yiteng in Nanchang on Saturday. Both Canadians played. The game ended as a draw.

Anyone who talks about size as a factor for a midfielder whose job is to distribute is is not going to get my respect, sorry to say. In Chin's case he simply was not developed properly as when I saw him with our u-20s I saw a player like Xavi at Barça. Or like scores of others. He was dynamic and intelligent, and held up just fine for his "size". But he was not trained properly and he simply never learnt to take full advantage of his ability. Chin had everything going for him, but he probably missed out by not going somewhere where he could really improve.

Archived