Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Aljarov

Okay, could his absence be to do with him playing for Wales U21? Is he no longer eligible for Canada?

He was on the list while in Holland. I didn't realise he was playing in Wales. However, his eligiblity is a question because there are some who argue he did appear for Wales in an "official" match. I'll put him on for now. As for his brother, not too sure what to do with the likes of him.

The Rochester Raging Rhinos announced today that they have signed defender Leigh Sembaluk.

Sembaluk has spent his last two summers playing for Columbus Clan FC (Vancouver, BC). Most notably, he spent two years (2001-03) in the Canadian U-17 and U-20 National Team player pools.

"Leigh brings balance to our left side, both as a midfielder or left back," said Calloway. "We were very impressed with his performance at the NAIA championships in Kansas in early December. He has a tremendous work ethic and has been a big part of Simon Fraser's success. He is an accomplished defender and attack player and can play right full back and midfield positions as well."

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/news/article.php?id=728

Alvin Hudson has left Atlanta Silverbacks:

"The Silverbacks parted ways with defender Alvin Hudson, defender Luis Liendo, midfielder Josh Smith, and forward Machel Millwood. Hudson and Liendo were released...Hudson made nine appearances for the Silverbacks in 2007, his only season with the club. He played for the Minnesota Thunder in 2003 and the Milwaukee Rampage in 2002, and was a member of the Canadian Under-20 and Under-17 National teams."

http://www.atlantasilverbacks.com/news/displaynews.php?id=702&cat=1

It is good to see that with the opening up of Canadians and Americans as domestics throughout the USL that some Canadians are now signing in the US after last year when it seemed it was only Americans signing in Canada. If MLS is going to water down the Canadian content so much like they did this year then they should do the same thing and open up the whole league to Canadians and Americans.

Justin Isidro is no longer in Portugal, he's at home in Vancouver on the look out for a new club.

Screw him! Hope a long wait knocks some sense into him.

http://tinyurl.com/2czpjr

"Portugal," says 17-year-old Justin Isidro, when asked if he'd rather play for Canada or Portugal.

Isidro was born and raised in Vancouver and now plays for Portugal's Vitoria Setubol. He says you'd get that answer from a lot of players.

"If you look at what Canada offers, they don't offer a lot," he says. "Everyone -- you ask them -- they don't want to play for Canada. They want to play for the country their parents are from."

"Everyone one of us guys, thirty-five guys who came out to play for Team Canada, we did it because we love our country and not for any other reason. They can throw the money for the pension fund out the window, they can throw anything they want out the window - we came because we love Canada. And even though we play in the United States and we earn money in the United States, Canada is still our home and that's the only reason we come."

Okay, could his absence be to do with him playing for Wales U21? Is he no longer eligible for Canada?

I'm not sure he ever played an official match for anyone. I had him on the MOACA until he got released by RKC this summer.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

just wanna remind whomever is in charge to update the usl guys that i posted about - cheers

Just a note for all those posting updates: We all appreciate it, and no posts are ever being ignored. I've added the month to the title of thread because I've committed to a monthly update. I do look at the links and try to use Wiki for a little back-up. This does take some time. I try to be a little more timely for people's fathers and, apparently, Vancouver ex-pats. :)

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Screw him! Hope a long wait knocks some sense into him.

http://tinyurl.com/2czpjr

"Portugal," says 17-year-old Justin Isidro, when asked if he'd rather play for Canada or Portugal.

Isidro was born and raised in Vancouver and now plays for Portugal's Vitoria Setubol. He says you'd get that answer from a lot of players.

"If you look at what Canada offers, they don't offer a lot," he says. "Everyone -- you ask them -- they don't want to play for Canada. They want to play for the country their parents are from."

Just a poor, poor attitude & way of thinking. If Canada doesn't offer a lot, then why did your parents come here?

^ Agreed that it is a poor attitude. Unfortunately, there are quite a few young players who, for various reasons, are not keen to represent Canada in soccer.

In the case of this young man, time will tell if either country has any interest in him.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Just a note for all those posting updates: We all appreciate it, and no posts are ever being ignored. I've added the month to the title of thread because I've committed to a monthly update. I do look at the links and try to use Wiki for a little back-up. This does take some time. I try to be a little more timely for people's fathers and, apparently, Vancouver ex-pats. :)

thanks - we do appreciate the hard work - just thought they might have slipped through the stream and in no way meant it as any kind of criticism. Also wanted that SFU kid to get his day in the sun and figured some people might have missed it, since it wasnt commented on. Cant wait until March and someone else's name gets to be drawn out of a hat so that they can have their turn as the monthly target of back-handed (and the occasional front-handed)attacks. :)

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ Agreed that it is a poor attitude. Unfortunately, there are quite a few young players who, for various reasons, are not keen to represent Canada in soccer.

In the case of this young man, time will tell if either country has any interest in him.

I think it's an unfortunate attitude, but in light of the debacle thatis the CSA it's hardly unique. It's our challenge and that of the CSA (or CSF) to make Canada a viable option to up-coming players, else sure, they're going to keep passing up their home team in favour of a more established and reputable Federation.

I also don't think that it's fair to compare opportunities to the parents in this context - Canada offers a LOT of things to prospective immigrants, an established professional/international soccer framework just happens not to be one of them.

I found another Canadian playing in Asia (thanks to the Asian HR for Football Manager).

This is from his email to me...

One is called "Eugene Kan Pak Shui" who is Hong Kong/Canadian based player, whose mother and father are from Hong Kong and then mirgrated to Canada. He is now on free but no one knows where he is now.

Seems he doens't have a team but might be worth putting on a 'Watch List'.

Ah...

PS

He also said that he thought Joevannie Peart was now in Hungary. I don't have a link or anything but it would be worth looking into (I'll be doing it myself in due course for canucks-abroad.com but I don't know when I'll get to it with the launch coming up).

Ah...

PS

He also said that he thought Joevannie Peart was now in Hungary. I don't have a link or anything but it would be worth looking into (I'll be doing it myself in due course for canucks-abroad.com but I don't know when I'll get to it with the launch coming up).

could be the next issey

Archived