Canadians abroad: December 21-27, 2007

DJT

As promised the JDG2 interview (in Dutch) after today's game. They start off talking about the game and whether the ball crossed the line before he tapped it in and at the end he speaks about Julian coming to Holland for christmas...

Visit this site and then click on his name....

http://www.rtl.nl/sport/rtlvoetbal/eredivisie/video/

Or insert the whole link into your internet browser...

http://www.rtl.nl/(channel=yorin,progid=rtlvoetbal,zone=rtlgemist.rtl.nl/rtlvoetbal,vm=/sport/rtlvoetbal/video/eredivisie/,ord=1198447657421)/system/video/wvx/components/sport/rtlvoetbal/miMedia/2007/week51/zo_nec_-_fey_reactie_de_guzmann_tbv_internet.wmv_plain.xml/1537.wvx

Guest Jeffery S.

Aguiar played the whole game as Gondomar fell to Trofense at home, 1-2, in Portugal second tier. They are one above relegation, with a little cushion still.

I had never heard of Trofense, but since they are top of the division in promotion spot I thought I'd look them up. In the small town of Trofa to the north of Porto, stadium holds just over 3000, as with many stadiums in Portugal 2nd tier. Size of USL teams, but the salaries I believe tend to be quite a bit higher, we've heard that before. Here is the very modest stadium of a team that may be in Portugal top flight next year:

http://www.cdtrofense.pt/estadio.php

Jonathan de Guzman is starting for Feyenoord in the Rotterdam derby at home against Sparta. Julian de Guzman is watching from the stands...

Possible streams :

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=3918∂=sports

Game starts in exactly 30 mins.

EDIT :

Jonathan plays the whole 90mins and wins with Feyenoord 2-0. Didnt have a great game like the whole Feyenoord side but a win is a win and if PSV drop points today in a difficult away game it means Feyenoord will be league leaders.

Iain Hume's Leicester prevailed over Jason DeVos's Ipswich with a 2-0 victory in today's Boxing Day fixture.

Both Canadians appear to have gone the full 90 minutes, Hume did not score however, despite his hot hand lately.

This victory should pull Leicester out of the relegation zone for now, but unfortunately the loss for Ipswich will likely drop them out of the promotion playoffs for the time being.

D'Agostino came on in minute 65 for Cheltenham in a 4-1 loss.

Jackson and Dunfield both played 90 in a Rushden 0-0 tie, and a Macclesfield 0-1 loss. McCallum came on as a sub (minute 60?) for weymouth in a 1-1 draw.

Hastings goes 90, but Inverness lose 0-1.

Exeter C 4- 3 Torquay United

Simon Raynar back on the bench for this game and the fans don't appear too happy over it. Apparently our aspiring young Canuck is on the way out. Here's some fan comments:

I agree with a number of John's comments on Raynar, I strongly believe we need him. Rice is a fantastic 2nd choice keeper (as he was at Exeter for the play-off final last year), but Raynar wins the day for me. I also understand he is off in the January transfer window, lets hope a keeper signing is on the cards. (thank you all and best wishes for 2008).

Nick Potkins, Worthing, West Sussex

So personal issues didn't play any part in the build up to today's debacle at St James' Park. That doesn't sound quite right Paul. My information is that Simon Rayner voiced his displeasure at being left out as first choice goalkeeper for the Yeovil FA Cup Tie, stormed off and has been out in the cold ever since. It was even stated in the programme for the Brighton Cup Tie that Rice had got his chance against Yeovil because Rayner was injured. That doesn't sound quite right either. Being a manager isn't just about showing who's boss - it involves psychology as well. My information is that Rayner will be on the transfer list when the window opens next month. Pity you couldn't have patched things up because he is sorely missed. In today's game where a cross was obviously the keeper's ball one of our defenders headed the ball behind for a corner. The indecision is there for all to see. Unless we can tighten the last line of defence and I'm not just referring to the goalkeeper the best we can hope for is the play offs where who knows we might just meet City again.

John Newcombe, Marldon Paignton

Archived