Canadians abroad: December 21-27, 2007

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for December 21-27, 2007.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

2 Canadians are in the starting line-up today in Holland.

Brandon Bonifacio kicks-off right now with Cambuur Leeuwarden away at Go Ahead Eagles in the first division.

Will Johnson is playing away against Willem II with his De Graafschap side. This match might be available on the internet and it starts in exactly 30 minutes..!

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=3728∂=sports (Sopcast)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Will Johnson went the distance in a 2-1 away win for De Graafschap.

Cambuur won 3-1. Don't know how long Brandon played.

Will Johnson was actually taken off at Half-Time and Cambuur lost away at Go Ahead Eagles 3-1. Bonifacio went the full 90mins..;)

Also in England, it looks like Hume will start again for Leicester away to Wolverhampton.

Going into the game Hume has a team-leading 5 goals in spite of missing a few games due to injury in October/November.

Leicester manager Ian Holloway has publicly stated that he intends to do some house cleaning at LFC and will be making lots of moves in January. But I don't expect that Hume will be moved.

There was also an article by Richard Starnes that came out recently that suggested that Hume would never be a Premier League calibre player. Interesting thought, but too early to say that in my books.

Seems like Inverness are doing quite well in a rejuvenated SPL. Celtic still in the Champions League with Aberdeen and Rangers still in the UEFA Cup as well, so there is no doubt some quality in the league right now.

Hastings has been a consistant part of that squad.

It seems to be the general consensus that we can do better than Hastings, but with Nsaliwa and DeVos out of the equation for now, he still has a role to play.

You also have to applaud his performance at the GC. So He is till very much in the mix for me.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

It seems to be the general consensus that we can do better than Hastings, but with Nsaliwa and DeVos out of the equation for now, he still has a role to play.

You also have to applaud his performance at the GC. So He is still very much in the mix for me.

For me i hate seeing one of Klukowski or De Jong sitting on the pine. But if Hastings continues to play for Canada like he has recently, then he'll have deserved consideration. In the end, the more competition for the spot, the better.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

For me i hate seeing one of Klukowski or De Jong sitting on the pine. But if Hastings continues to play for Canada like he has recently, then he'll have deserved consideration. In the end, the more competition for the spot, the better.

I second that opinion. competition for spots is good. I dont care who you are...everyone needs to fight to keep their place

Iain Hume scores in the 4th minute for Leicester. Still 1-0 early second half. Hume in great form as of late.

Sounds like Hume's goal was from a FK that curled into the corner of the box.

Also in England, it looks like Hume will start again for Leicester away to Wolverhampton.

Going into the game Hume has a team-leading 5 goals in spite of missing a few games due to injury in October/November.

Leicester manager Ian Holloway has publicly stated that he intends to do some house cleaning at LFC and will be making lots of moves in January. But I don't expect that Hume will be moved.

There was also an article by Richard Starnes that came out recently that suggested that Hume would never be a Premier League calibre player. Interesting thought, but too early to say that in my books.

I agree it is too early to write off Hume as an EPL player. He didn't look good against SA but right afterwards went on a tear. Sometimes all a striker needs is a shot of confidence so hopefully he can bring his scoring streak into the national team. The article is mostly about Hume's colourful new coach but here is the bit about Hume:

Canadian Iain Hume is a credibly speedy striker with a good work ethic and a good eye for goal. He will never be Premier League standard, but he's a solid contributor at the next level down in English soccer.

I tried to call him this week without success, but I'm willing to bet he has had an extra skip in his step for the past couple of weeks.

If anyone wants to read the full article it is here: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=ff0ed2d9-d995-455f-b846-794439632ffa

It contains the classic quote:

Holloway on losing:

"Right now, everything is going wrong for me. If I fell in a barrel of b***s, I'd come up sucking my thumb."

quote:Originally posted by N-A

Sounds like Hume's goal was from a FK that curled into the corner of the box.

It seems that FoxSports here in Australia is trying to make my month with a bit of Canadian content. I got to watch JDG against Barca a couple of weeks back, they showed Leicester last night, and next week, they're showing JDV live with Ipswich.

On to last night's Leicester/Wolves match, it was the most dire, long-ball game I've seen in a long time. Hume's freekick was a thing of beauty, though. It wouldn't look out of place in a compilation of Beckham, Juninho, or Mihailovic's best. However, Hume played 90 minutes as an advanced central midfielder behind two strikers. He spent most of the match either tracking back to defend or watching the ball sail over his head as neither team bothered with too many attempts to play the ball through midfield.

As for Hume's prospects as a future Premiership player, I can't see it happening in the near future. He is far too inconsistent to make himself attractive as a transfer target for a top-flight club at this time. He either has to hope that Leicester gets its act together and makes a run at promotion in the next few years or he has to drastically improve if he wants to step up another level. As it is, at 23 years of age, he's still too prone to following a period where he scores a bushel of goals with a corresponding barren spell. Until he can reach the heights of his abilities on a more regular basis, he'll be stuck at League Championship level.

NEC - Feyenoord 0-2 Final Score.

0-1 Jonathan de Guzman 48'

0-2 Jonathan de Guzman 60'

He stole the first goal after tapping in on the goal line (it would have gone in from Slory) and the second was a rebound after a first Feyenoord shot was saved. This brings his total now to 7 goals in 14 games..!

Marcel de Jong played the final 10 minutes for Roda JC against AZ in a 1-1 draw. Marcel picked up a yellow card in this game.

EDIT :

I can get the goals of De Guzman later today. There might also be a small interview with him afterwards (in Dutch) , and he talks a bit about the match and also says that Julian will be coming to Rotterdam to spend christmas with him , and will watch him on Wednesday in the Rotterdam derby against Sparta.

20071223nec_deguzman_3_rh.jpg

a0380.gif

a0384.gif

Interview will follow later..

Archived