Dasovic named Canadian U-23 head coach

loyola

I think this deserve it's own thread. Here's the CSA release:

Men's Olympic (U-23) Team

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Nick Dasovic

Photo: Dale MacMillan

The Canadian Soccer Association announced today that Nick Dasovic has been named Canada’s men’s U-23 Olympic head coach. Dasovic will be in charge of Canada’s efforts at the CONCACAF U-23 Championship this March in Carson, CA and Nashville, TN and hopefully the men’s Olympic Football Tournament in Beijing, China this August.

Dasovic had been serving as an assistant coach with Canada’s men’s national senior team under head coach Dale Mitchell. He also served as an assistant coach with Mitchell’s Canadian youth (U-20) team, taking part in three-straight FIFA U-20 World Cups (UAE 2003, Nederland 2005, Canada 2007).

To qualify for the men’s Olympic Football Tournament, Canada will need to finish amongst the top-two teams in the CONCACAF U-23 Championship. The tournament will feature players born in 1985 or later. Earlier this week, Canada was drawn into Group B for the March tournament and will thus face Mexico, Guatemala and Haiti in a round-robin series on 12-14-16 March in Carson, CA. The two teams will advance to the 20 March crossover semi-final in Nashville, TN; Group B teams will face Group A teams (United States, Cuba, Honduras or Panama). The two semi-final winners then advance to the championship final on 23 March, also in Nashville, TN.

México and Costa Rica were the two CONCACAF teams that qualified for the last men’s Olympic Football Tournament in 2004 (Athens). Honduras and the United States were the CONCACAF representatives at Sydney 2000. Canada last qualified for the men’s Olympic Tournament in 1984 (along with Costa Rica and hosts United States). They previously participated in the 1976 Summer Olympics as hosts (matches were played in Montréal, QC and Toronto, ON) and the 1904 Olympics in St. Louis. Canada won what was then a two-team Olympic tournament in 1904 over the United States.

As for Dasovic, he was a long-time member of the Canadian national team. From 1992 to 2004, he won 63 caps with the national senior team, fifth most in the program’s history. He took part in World Cup qualifying matches in 1992-93, 1996-97 and 2000. He missed the 2000 Football Confederation Gold Cup because of an injury, but then took part in the ensuing FIFA Confederations Cup in 2001.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think this deserve it's own thread. Here's the CSA release:

Men's Olympic (U-23) Team

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Nick Dasovic

Photo: Dale MacMillan

The Canadian Soccer Association announced today that Nick Dasovic has been named Canada’s men’s U-23 Olympic head coach. Dasovic will be in charge of Canada’s efforts at the CONCACAF U-23 Championship this March in Carson, CA and Nashville, TN and hopefully the men’s Olympic Football Tournament in Beijing, China this August.

Dasovic had been serving as an assistant coach with Canada’s men’s national senior team under head coach Dale Mitchell. He also served as an assistant coach with Mitchell’s Canadian youth (U-20) team, taking part in three-straight FIFA U-20 World Cups (UAE 2003, Nederland 2005, Canada 2007).

To qualify for the men’s Olympic Football Tournament, Canada will need to finish amongst the top-two teams in the CONCACAF U-23 Championship. The tournament will feature players born in 1985 or later. Earlier this week, Canada was drawn into Group B for the March tournament and will thus face Mexico, Guatemala and Haiti in a round-robin series on 12-14-16 March in Carson, CA. The two teams will advance to the 20 March crossover semi-final in Nashville, TN; Group B teams will face Group A teams (United States, Cuba, Honduras or Panama). The two semi-final winners then advance to the championship final on 23 March, also in Nashville, TN.

México and Costa Rica were the two CONCACAF teams that qualified for the last men’s Olympic Football Tournament in 2004 (Athens). Honduras and the United States were the CONCACAF representatives at Sydney 2000. Canada last qualified for the men’s Olympic Tournament in 1984 (along with Costa Rica and hosts United States). They previously participated in the 1976 Summer Olympics as hosts (matches were played in Montréal, QC and Toronto, ON) and the 1904 Olympics in St. Louis. Canada won what was then a two-team Olympic tournament in 1904 over the United States.

As for Dasovic, he was a long-time member of the Canadian national team. From 1992 to 2004, he won 63 caps with the national senior team, fifth most in the program’s history. He took part in World Cup qualifying matches in 1992-93, 1996-97 and 2000. He missed the 2000 Football Confederation Gold Cup because of an injury, but then took part in the ensuing FIFA Confederations Cup in 2001.

Ridiculous that Stephen Hart wasn't given the reigns. I don't think Dasovic is qualified for the position. Just another one of the CSA boys...

What are Dasovic's qualifications?

What licenses does he hold? Where did he earn those licenses? Has he ever been head coach of anything before of any significance?

This choice leaves me cold. We should be picking the BEST possible choice for the job, not the guy who sits next to Mitchell on the bench.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Isn't Stephen Hart also the new U20 coach as well as the senior team's assistant coach? I think adding a third bit of coaching duties to him would be a bit much.

Dasovic is also a senior assistant and aren't the U20s theoretically on hiatus for the next 6 months at least (apart from maybe a camp here and there)?

I don't think adding the U23 would overburden Hart and I kinda echo what Cyclops said (providing that Hart didn't already turn the job down).

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

What are Dasovic's qualifications?

What licenses does he hold? Where did he earn those licenses? Has he ever been head coach of anything before of any significance?

This choice leaves me cold. We should be picking the BEST possible choice for the job, not the guy who sits next to Mitchell on the bench.

Just out of curiosity, who would you have given the job to?

Who is the best coach available at CSA wages? Who is available that would actually take a job that may only last 4 months?

If Hart is being given the U20 job, I don't see a problem with Dasovic getting the Olympic job, especially considering that the 2 jobs would probably overlap IF we qualify.

I don't mind criticism, and in fact I like it a lot considering how cynical a person I am. But I hate complaining for the sake of complaining.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Who is the best coach available at CSA wages? Who is available that would actually take a job that may only last 4 months?

If Hart is being given the U20 job, I don't see a problem with Dasovic getting the Olympic job, especially considering that the 2 jobs would probably overlap IF we qualify.

I don't mind criticism, and in fact I like it a lot considering how cynical a person I am. But I hate complaining for the sake of complaining.

I personally don't have any problem with Dasovic being chosen. In addition to qualifying for these tournaments the CSA has a responsibility to make sure we also develop good Canadian coaches so I think it is better to divide the U-20 and U-23 jobs. Also while we had a good result under Hart at the Gold Cup (where it is entirely possible the team to some extent coached itself) his record in qualifying the teams he has coached for international tournaments is pretty poor so he is not necessarily the best choice for the job. If we had the money to hire top level coaches that would be best but since we don't I think the more former players the CSA can get involved in its coaching system the better.

I like Hart, but ever since his gold cup run everyone is treating him like he's some mastermind. I think he is a good coach, but no more. I don't know this Dasovic guy, and I think we have to give him time before we start bashing him.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I like Hart, but ever since his gold cup run everyone is treating him like he's some mastermind. I think he is a good coach, but no more. I don't know this Dasovic guy, and I think we have to give him time before we start bashing him.

Hart has had no success at all at the U17 level, yet DM takes that same player pool 2 years later and qualifies for the U20 WC with style (disregarding our poor performance in the actual final which I think in retrospect was due in large part to overconfidence of the current crop of U20s).

I am quite content with Nik D getting our U23 coaching job.

I hope Nick does well, he's a good person, and is going to put his heart into it no matter what. Stephen Hart did well for the National team, and I think him and Dale might be able to do some damage provided that Hart helps in the selection, because Dale is a good technical coach. His tactics will get better with more experience, but I think the both of them together will produce some positive results. Cross your fingers brothers!!!! Cross your toes as well!LOL

I miss the CSL I thought it was a great league! Who can forget Vic Rauter saying : MOBIIIIILIOOOOO!!! I thought that league did so much for Canadian soccer imagine where Canadian soccer would be with that league and the old NSL still around. The wealth of players would've been fantastic!! Oh well, there is always the MLS!!!

I've defended Hart before the GC because some "expert" were unfairly calling him an high school coach...but I agree that some here are making it sound like he's Jose Mourinho.

If someone really competent was ignored I would like to hear his name and his credentials, but Dasovic is IMO a good choice and at some point after being an assistant at the international and club level he deserves a head coaching job. The U-23 shouldn't be a high priority on the CSA's list and putting a lot of money on a foreign coach would've been foolish IMO considering the CSA problems.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

My sister is marrying a Croatian, so I now have to pretend to take an interest in, amongst other things, Dinamo Zagreb. So Dasovic, he's okay. He could be a great coach, we'll see. I would prefer if he went abroad and proved himself on his own two feet. I would say that about Mitchell and Yallop to a certain degree as well.

My main suggestion would be to have considered an offer like the one made by Simoes because it makes a lot of sense. Perhaps the CSA couldn't have afforded his staff, but I would like to see a 3-4 person staff who are acquainted with one another and have some club and international credentials manage the entire competitive system from U-17 to World Cup.

Rather than insisting that Simoes (or whoever) take a Canadian assistant/staff, the CSA should use their manager/TD to use his extensive contacts in the pro game to get guys like Nick and Dale the kind of experience they need to be top coaches. Think of what they could gain by going down to Brasil in an assistant capacity for a year. In Hockey, Canadians have offered this experience to all kinds of weird euro coaches over the years -even at the top competitive level. And this is experience that is free to the association and doesn't cost us qualifying matches.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. Still trying to get some work done today...

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

How can you forget his own goals during WCQ for USA '94.

[:P] I'm a student and the 06 failure was my first WCQ failure I've experienced, I guess as a Canadian Football fan I should get myself ready for more ;)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I've defended Hart before the GC because some "expert" were unfairly calling him an high school coach...but I agree that some here are making it sound like he's Jose Mourinho.

That would be me. Thanks, didn't know you held me in such high esteem.

Archived