De Vos Interview

Phil_Ipswich

Thought this might be of interest. I spoke to Jason last week for the Ipswich fanzine and asked him a few questions about Canadian football. He didn't hold back as you'll see from this extract:

http://www.clubfanzine.com/ipswich_town/showNews.php?id=6763

Without sounding like a commercial, we're more than happy to send copies out to Canada if anyone's interested.

great stub...would love to see the whole thing - doesnt sound like a guy who is likely to be coming back into the MNT fold anytime again, not with the kind of punches he isn't pulling in that interview. And good on him - his comments might actually turn a few heads, which of course is much more effective than all of our collective moaning.

Thanks Phil.

I agree with Pulsar. This article has to been seen by CSA. I get angrier at how things are run after reading articles like this. Hopefully more players come forward and voice their feelings. If some have and nothing changes then our problems are worse then feared.

If the will to win and compete ever reaches the top levels of the CSA and people like De Vos have more say then that is when we will see progress.

Our opponents in CONCACAF have to realise that Canada is not going to be pushed around and it has to start at the top. If the CSA starts backing the players then it will not be long before support begins to grow in the stands.

This hospitality thing. Should the finger be pointed at the CSA? or should it be pointed at the local level. Me thinks its a local level thing whereby there exists a lack of cultural appreciation and significance of a WCQ match. There seems to be a re-occurring theme about matches played in that specific locale. A place that can easily agrued to be an event city rather than a soccer city.

If people / organizers cant see or understand the difference between a mens WCQ match, a U19 girls WC match, a cultural festival, etc etc. Then, can you blame them for the hospitality attitutes? And is it fair to blame the national bodies?

This is not intended as slight against Edmonton. Afterall other locations have other problems that are unique to them. But I am trying to put perspective to this debate in regards as to where the blame lies.

If were going to flip this article to the CSA, then maybe the ASA should be cc'd.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

This hospitality thing. Should the finger be pointed at the CSA? or should it be pointed at the local level. Me thinks its a local level thing whereby there exists a lack of cultural appreciation and significance of a WCQ match. There seems to be a re-occurring theme about matches played in that specific locale. A place that can easily agrued to be an event city rather than a soccer city.

If people / organizers cant see or understand the difference between a mens WCQ match, a U19 girls WC match, a cultural festival, etc etc. Then, can you blame them for the hospitality attitutes? And is it fair to blame the national bodies?

This is not intended as slight against Edmonton. Afterall other locations have other problems that are unique to them. But I am trying to put perspective to this debate in regards as to where the blame lies.

If were going to flip this article to the CSA, then maybe the ASA should be cc'd.

Yeah, that was my impression & recollection as well - it was the local organizing committee that was responsible for the Soca music gaffe (not reggae as Jason calls it) in Edmonton, and not the CSA. That's why you didn't see it happening in other cities that qualifying year.

And to be fair to Edmonton, I didn't hear reports of them repeating the mistake in 2004. So the example is probably a poor one to use - scheduling games on the west coast to force players to fly even longer hours before games for no reason would have been a better example to use.

Other than that, you have to like the sentiment that De Vos shows. Although it would appear that the some of the CSA leaders aren't quite the total "have nothing to do with the game" people that he claims they are, the fact is we do need more people with experience in the pro game running things in the CSA. Jason strikes as the type of guy who would bash enough heads around to ensure things get done.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

[ Although it would appear that the some of the CSA leaders aren't quite the total "have nothing to do with the game" people that he claims they are, the fact is we do need more people with experience in the pro game running things in the CSA. Jason strikes as the type of guy who would bash enough heads around to ensure things get done.

The CSA has plenty of people who have been involved in the administration of soccer for a long time and a few people who actually played the game at some type of competitive level but I don't believe there are a whole lot of people involved with the CSA (other than Mitchell, maybe) who can actually relate to the players as a true peer. I don't suggest that every board member or member of the administrative team needs to be an ex-player but it would not hurt if 1 or maybe 2 ex-players were on the CSA board and could provide the player perspective....

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The CSA sanctions the game and the organizing Committee. A competent organization would also have head office oversight the event, even if not directly involved in the organizing and it is possible the CSA would too. I think it fair to rest the blame on the CSA, even if the crime itself was perpetrated at the local level. Ultimately, it was their show. However, even the best run organizations make the occasional mistake. So the bigger question is, have they taken the steps required to ensure that sort of thing never happened again. If so, then they should be cut some slack on that issue.

There was some sort of latin act playing at Swangard before the Honduras friendly or the last WCQ match against Costa Rica, perhaps both. Seems like a trend to me.

Oh yeah. What about the Brasilian band that marched through the stands in U20 friendly at Swangard???

It's more than a trend, it's an epidemic.

I'm probably mixing all these matches up, but there was also a time a CSA official had Vancouver Fan remove the SuperCanucks banner from the east bleachers at Sawngard.

Sounds like a plague now.

The sad part is, even if JDV was retired from playing, and back home in Appin Ont, ready and wlling to sort out the train wreck that is the CSA, it's highly unlikely that he would have a practical path to follow in order to achieve a position where he could change things. The very nature of power brokering within the CSA Structure ensures that competent people ("men of action") are excluded. No one but a waffling political hack could advance in such an environment.

Phil, any chance I could get a copy? Can you accept paypal?

I'd suggest a co-ordinated mailout to major Canadian media outlets. Keep the heat on those CSA wankers.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

There was some sort of latin act playing at Swangard before the Honduras friendly or the last WCQ match against Costa Rica, perhaps both. Seems like a trend to me.

Oh yeah. What about the Brasilian band that marched through the stands in U20 friendly at Swangard???

I'm probably mixing all these matches up, but there was also a time a CSA official had Vancouver Fan remove the SuperCanucks banner from the east bleachers at Sawngard.

I just can't imagine what would happen to the CSA if they stopped these people from playing.

Since these stories have reached legendary status, have we ever got actual confirmation on how they came about?

I would like to know the details, because that is the only way we can stop it from happening again.

If we don't have something to replace it, and the CSA stops it, they will get ****** in the *** for a very long long time.

Guest speedmonk42

I just can't imagine what would happen to the CSA if they stopped these people from playing.

Since these stories have reached legendary status, have we ever got actual confirmation on how they came about?

I would like to know the details, because that is the only way we can stop it from happening again.

If we don't have something to replace it, and the CSA stops it, they will get ****** in the *** for a very long long time.

From the same issue of TWTD:

http://www.clubfanzine.com/ipswich_town/showNews.php?id=6792

Magilton Slams Peters

Boss Jim Magilton says Canadian winger Jaime Peters needs to put in more effort if he is to push his way back into the Town side. Peters has rarely been involved during 2007/08 after winning a regular place in the team towards the end of last season.

Magilton says this is down to the 20-year-old's lack of endeavour: “He has not done enough, nowhere near it. I'm very disappointed with Jaime and he needs to show me a lot more. He needs to show me that he wants to play for this football club. It is down to his attitude. “Jaime has been given a wonderful chance and he has fantastic ability, now it is down to him.”

Fellow Canadian Jason De Vos told TWTD that Peters has what it takes to go a long way in the game: “Jaime is suffering with second year blues so to speak. He's lost his way a little bit. He needs to get back to what he's good at in order to get into the manager's thoughts again.

“He has the potential to go on to be a really big player in the game, but it's fulfilling that potential and getting the most out of it.”

De Vos was speaking in an interview for TWTD issue 90, which is out ahead of Saturday's game with Burnley. TWTD's sellers will be found around the ground from 1pm, by Sir Alf, Planet Blue and the Portman Road entrance to the Greene King Stand.

Alternatively, if you can't make the game, fans anywhere in the world can purchase a single copy or six-issue subscription online here.

I definitely remember the Brazilian dancers and drummers marching througout Swangard during the U20 friendly and yes there has been latin music playing at many of the matches against Cantral American teams.

The banner that I was forced to remove was the Voyageurs banner.I hung it on the barrier that was put up at field level. I later found out that field level signage is limited to sponsors. [V]

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

From the same issue of TWTD:

http://www.clubfanzine.com/ipswich_town/showNews.php?id=6792

Magilton Slams Peters

Boss Jim Magilton says Canadian winger Jaime Peters needs to put in more effort if he is to push his way back into the Town side. Peters has rarely been involved during 2007/08 after winning a regular place in the team towards the end of last season.

Magilton says this is down to the 20-year-old's lack of endeavour: “He has not done enough, nowhere near it. I'm very disappointed with Jaime and he needs to show me a lot more. He needs to show me that he wants to play for this football club. It is down to his attitude. “Jaime has been given a wonderful chance and he has fantastic ability, now it is down to him.”

Fellow Canadian Jason De Vos told TWTD that Peters has what it takes to go a long way in the game: “Jaime is suffering with second year blues so to speak. He's lost his way a little bit. He needs to get back to what he's good at in order to get into the manager's thoughts again.

“He has the potential to go on to be a really big player in the game, but it's fulfilling that potential and getting the most out of it.”

De Vos was speaking in an interview for TWTD issue 90, which is out ahead of Saturday's game with Burnley. TWTD's sellers will be found around the ground from 1pm, by Sir Alf, Planet Blue and the Portman Road entrance to the Greene King Stand.

Alternatively, if you can't make the game, fans anywhere in the world can purchase a single copy or six-issue subscription online here.

Not very surprised about Peters. Seems like he requires a major attitude adjustment.

I was speaking with a friend of mine who had a family member involved in the U20 training staff. He was very upset at the arrogance of many of the overseas players on the Canadian U20 team. It seemed the attitude was that they could waltz into the squad based on the fact that they played on high profile pro teams.

This kind of attitude that players are untouchable because of where they play will be a major issue that future managers will have to deal with especially at the youth level.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Not very surprised about Peters. Seems like he requires a major attitude adjustment.

I was speaking with a friend of mine who had a family member involved in the U20 training staff. He was very upset at the arrogance of many of the overseas players on the Canadian U20 team. It seemed the attitude was that they could waltz into the squad based on the fact that they played on high profile pro teams.

This kind of attitude that players are untouchable because of where they play will be a major issue that future managers will have to deal with especially at the youth level.

Maybe this had a lot more to do with our lack of success at that tournament than has been publicly speculated. Sounds like he is done over there. Fortunately, as we know from JB, or Simpson's experience there are other leagues (TFC?) for players not deemed quite good enough for the Championship and he should have some upswing left in him if he can sort out his attitude. Disappointing to read, though.

He's burnt bridges at Kaiserslautern and might be doing the same at Ipswich, not too good for someone who has really done SFA in his career to date. Sounds like a headcase in the making; a year at TFC at KFC wages might wake him up.

Archived