Stamatopolous or Sutton ?

Winnipeg Fury

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I think an athletic goalie could have made the save...Stama couldn't. That's my opinion. I'm not disagreeing that there were other factors of blame, but this incident does not help to enhance my opinion of Stamas' abilities.

I don't see many MLS keepers making that save or any of the keepers in our MNT pool...Only world class keepers have the footwork to get back in time.

It's also tough to judge who can save since keepers training rarely focus on 20 meters backpeddling run...

Stamatopolous or Sutton?

Stamatopolous has earned the starting position and should be offered a contract. Failing a contract, the loan should be extended, if his club is willing.

Sutton shouldn't be written off. Keep him on contract, if he is willing, and let him earn his spot back, if he can. If he can't, then, consider making a deal later when the transfer market heats up a little.

I'd rather see them both on the roster because each has gained solid experience in the MLS and each is among the better young keepers in the league. Both will get even better.

At least, Sutton was on track before his injury. Hence, his need to earn back his starting position.

They are similar keepers on all key skill areas, and that can make it easier for the new and improved defence [we can hope] should Johnston choose to rotate keepers based on unavailability due to international play and the like. Next season may be a busy season for the national team [we can hope].

Archived