AB - 4G, 0S, 2B

ON - 2G, 3S, 0B

QU - 2G, 1S, 3B

BC - 0G, 3S, 1B

MB - 0G, 1S, 0B

PEI - 0G, 0S, 1B

NL - 0G, 0S, 1B

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true that in Alberta youth soccer, teams can recruit from anywhere in the Province, which allows some teams to stockpile great talent? In BC, youth teams can draw from their own small region plus 3 out of District players. In the lower mainland, there are 6 or 7 districts, therefore no team can be a powerhouse. The goal is to have clubs develop players rather than poach players. That puts BC youth teams at a disadvantage vs other Provinces which don't have restrictions.

It's all over the map as each city has its own thing. In Calgary, they used to have 4 quadrants for the city and anybody over U13 would belong to his/her geographic quadrant 'club'. There was a 2 player non-resident import clause that allowed some players to move about a bit. All that was thrown out the window a few years ago and now players have more freedom. You'd have to be daft to imagine someone from Edmonton playing club ball as a teen for a Calgary club though (which is what your post implies). The club I am most familiar with, Calgary SW United, has all SW kids that I know of on the two clubs that rep'd Alberta at the U14 level. They have come up through the ranks. I suspect the same for the Elbow Valley club that rep'd Alberta at U16 boys. I don't know diddly about Edmonton except that they have two entirely separate leagues for teens; Calgary has only one. Feel free to correct my errors of assumption here if anyone has more detailed info. BC's disadvantage? Don't think it applies at this level.

According to EIYSA there are 4 boundries in Edmonton plus Shrewood Park and Spruce Grove. All players must reside in their member's club zone. However, teams are allowed to import players from other member zones up to certain amounts which vary by age group: from a minimum of 2 for U-12's to a max of 7 for U-18's. In addition, 4 "special imports" are allowed from non-member zones (ie. anywhere else in Alberta). Theoretically this allows a team to have a whole starting lineup at the U-18 level not from the club's area.

Not sure how this is different from other areas in Canada.

Guest Soccrman

There are now NO boundaries in Calgary and it IS producing select teams, with weaker opposition in their own lge. Its the reason CMSA has now gone back to dual age groups.

EV U16 boys had players recruited from all over the city and the GK was actually from Leth, and Ed, SWU is not all from SW

However our city is probably the same size as some zones in Ont!!

quote:Originally posted by EZmac

According to EIYSA there are 4 boundries in Edmonton plus Shrewood Park and Spruce Grove. All players must reside in their member's club zone. However, teams are allowed to import players from other member zones up to certain amounts which vary by age group: from a minimum of 2 for U-12's to a max of 7 for U-18's. In addition, 4 "special imports" are allowed from non-member zones (ie. anywhere else in Alberta). Theoretically this allows a team to have a whole starting lineup at the U-18 level not from the club's area.

Not sure how this is different from other areas in Canada.

Someone from Edmonton can correct me, but the EIYSA is just one of two bodies running youth teams in Edmonton. There is another youth org, the EMSA, that administers youth clubs in the city as well.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Someone from Edmonton can correct me, but the EIYSA is just one of two bodies running youth teams in Edmonton. There is another youth org, the EMSA, that administers youth clubs in the city as well.

That is correct and has given rise to all that b.s. that was seen this summer.

See http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13352

Historically the best Edmonton teams have come from EIYSA.

The BS this summer continues...

EIYSA is in serious jeopardy of being removed as a sanctioned association by the Alberta Soccer Association. They took ASA to court and won an injunction - it allowed two EIYSA teams and one EMSA team to participate in the ASA Provincial Championships.

ASA has, in their Bylaws, a version of a notwithstanding clause. Basically, it allows them at any time to do what they deem necessary for the efficient administration of soccer in the Province. They felt two competing youth associations in one district (District 8, Edmonton) was hurting development and governance.

The issue went to CSA who asked ASA to reconsider; they did, and upheld their position of one team per Edmonton association. EIYSA went to court, won, and now the ASA is considering banning them. A letter was sent from the CSA to EIYSA outlining that the EIYSA legal action was in violation of FIFA.

If anyone wants to see the issue in its entirety, take a look:

http://www.eiysa.com/league.php?scriptName=HOME&leagueID=1600

Scroll down a wee bit to review the links; additionally, on the sidebar, if you go to Information, you will see they have a full page devoted to the proceedings.

It is all such a soap opera, with players and coaches victimized by over-zealous administrators that don't necessarily have any soccer background whatsoever.

Soccrman, SWU has kids from all over true; what I meant to say was that the U14 teams had largely been together coming up through the SWU system and they did not stock the teams with ringers for the provincials. I thought I heard that and I know some of the players names as I have coached siblings of some of them at lower age levels.

And to fishman, you have to wonder what the ASA is doing 'for the good of the game'. They are the ones who banned Super Y league entries last season as far as I know.

Archived