The Game...spoilers inside....

Trillium

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would guess they all will continue till after Olympic qualifing is over, or after the Olympics if the qualify. I wonder what the salary is for Coaches of the National teams for women. It might be somewhat comparable to the salary of the men's coach for Canada, but that is certainly not the case in Europe and elsewhere. Anyone have that information?

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Vic

It would be interesting to see which of the current WWC2007 coaches are no longer under contract.

Better talking point. How important is experience in the women's game?

That is a good question. The womens game has undergone/undergoing such a radical transformation. It is hard to take alot of the 'records' and 'caps' seriously. They are decieving. When national game friendlies and even competitive matches result in regular double digit scores..... what are triple digit stats in the area of caps worth?

Guest speedmonk42

It would be interesting to see which of the current WWC2007 coaches are no longer under contract.

Better talking point. How important is experience in the women's game?

That is a good question. The womens game has undergone/undergoing such a radical transformation. It is hard to take alot of the 'records' and 'caps' seriously. They are decieving. When national game friendlies and even competitive matches result in regular double digit scores..... what are triple digit stats in the area of caps worth?

Good point on the triple-digits. A lot of good women's coaches came from the men's side.

Madness in the first minute of the TFC game. And I love seeing Carol-Anne Chenard as the 4th official.

p.s. if I see that BMO commerical with two guy's heading a ball one more time I'll gag.

The case for Hooper is simple. She has given more to the women's game in Canada than anyone else. She would be a great role model and having excelled in two totally opposite positions on the field it is safe to say that she knows the game. I'm willing to concede that she is probably not ready to coach the senior side but maybe as an assistant or as a coach for a national youth team.

Problem: in no way shape or form is she a politician like the CSA bunch so as long as that crowd continues to run things Hooper would not even get a job as a ball girl - er, ball person.

Yes, an assistant with the under 20 or under 16 team would give her experience and, more importantly allow her to be evaluated by experienced coaches, but would the salary be enough and would she want to do it. Has she ever indicated that she hoped to coach someday? Doesn't the head of the National team have some say as to who would coach the younger teams? It would be interesting to see how she would deal with players who disagreed with her style, wouldn't it?

quote:Originally posted by NS Rooney

Problem: in no way shape or form is she a politician like the CSA bunch so as long as that crowd continues to run things Hooper would not even get a job as a ball girl - er, ball person.

Yeah. Whether she'd be interested in a coaching career or not there is going to have to be a "healing" period before she is ever considered for a position which entitles her for a CSA signed paycheck.

You get the feeling things are in flux or will be shortly through-out the whole CSA entity so there may be room for Ms. Hooper within a post Pellerud WNT at the coach/managment level. Watching Ireland-France at the RWC I'm reminded even after the meltdown in Japan an over the hill Roy Keane was welcomed back into the Irish side within a couple of years.

Guest speedmonk42

The case for Hooper is simple. She has given more to the women's game in Canada than anyone else.

-------------

Appreciated, but irrelevant.

Good point on the triple-digits. A lot of good women's coaches came from the men's side.

Madness in the first minute of the TFC game. And I love seeing Carol-Anne Chenard as the 4th official.

p.s. if I see that BMO commerical with two guy's heading a ball one more time I'll gag.

Would you not love to see her working the center ?

Guest speedmonk42

How good has the history of former national team players turned coaches for the national team, and national team, been exactly....

It is not like the precedent is encouraging.

Now I have to have the remote handy at all times so that I can hit the mute button immediately or else I will have yet another day filled with that annoying tune. Another 20 times today. I hate you BMO!

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

The case for Hooper is simple. She has given more to the women's game in Canada than anyone else.

-------------

Appreciated, but irrelevant.

Let us not forget that she was the Captain of the team for a long time. As such she might have done more for the team than the coach himself. And I think she is not a fan of the lack of ball possession.

the only one's worthwhile within the canadian soccer scene is probably the Ottawa fury coach or Hart,any players turned coach that has been within the program will only follow into Pellerud footstep just as Bridge has and use the same bunch of players and keep carying on with almost the same style.a part from those two we should be looking may be an Eastern European coach that can do wonders in terma of playing short passes and the team dictate the pace of the game when given the same training resources that has been made available over the yrs to Pellerud.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Sometimes the best players do not make very good coaches. One case that comes to mind is Ted Williams, one of the greatest baseball players of all times was a bust as a coach with the Washington Senators. He found it difficult to explain what he seemed to be able to do naturally. One of the greatest coaches of all time in baseball was Walter Alston. He had exactly 2 at bats in the major league yet led the Dodgers to national league pennants and world series victories. I think Wayne Gretzky has it right when he stays in the front office and not behind the bench. Great players do NOT usually make great coaches.

I have nothing against Hooper. I wish that mess had never happened and that she would have had a legitimate chance to make this years team, but to turn the team over to her when she might (I say might) hold some animosity to the current players who did deny her a chance to return who make things worse. Let her get her A license, a few years coaching perhaps at a US College (how good is she at recruiting) and then bring her on as an assistant for a few years and see how it goes. There are no quick fixes.

Besides does she want to be under the control of the CSA and would they have to find employment for her husband too?

If you are going to be a tool and pull out the Ted Williams example, let me respond with a couple of names more relevant to soccer: Franz Beckenbauer and Juergen Klinnsman. Great players do sometimes make great coaches. Do you think Charmaine Hooper could not get the best out of a team? Her intensity is unmatched in the women's game.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

If you are going to be a tool and pull out the Ted Williams example, let me respond with a couple of names more relevant to soccer: Franz Beckenbauer and Juergen Klinnsman. Great players do sometimes make great coaches. Do you think Charmaine Hooper could not get the best out of a team? Her intensity is unmatched in the women's game.

A team compose of players who rejected her as a players and a leader last year? No, I don't think she can get the best out of them.

I don't know her tactical skills as a coach since it's almost impossible to judge but I just don't think she would have the trust from the players.

It might be better for her to get coaching experience elsewhere (NCAA or any other women's pro team in the world) and apply on a job at the CSA later (maybe things will have change by that time...).

This is pure BS speculation on your part. How on earth could the players honestly and truthfully respond to any question regarding Charmaine Hooper? The only party that you can be sure rejected her is Even Pellerud.

Time for a bit of a shake up in the women's house anyway. It's not like they are playing up to their potential. While the men are playing well despite the CSA, the women are underperforming. How the hell does a team with a full time residency, living and breathing soccer, run out of gas before 90 minutes are out in all 3 games? Out with the old, in with the new.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

This is pure BS speculation on your part. How on earth could the players honestly and truthfully respond to any question regarding Charmaine Hooper? The only party that you can be sure rejected her is Even Pellerud.

Time for a bit of a shake up in the women's house anyway. It's not like they are playing up to their potential. While the men are playing well despite the CSA, the women are underperforming. How the hell does a team with a full time residency, living and breathing soccer, run out of gas before 90 minutes are out in all 3 games? Out with the old, in with the new.

http://www.adrsportred.ca/resource_centre/pdf/english/NR-790252.pdf

I think it's pretty evident in this document that Hooper as a captain didn't have the trust of her teamates during the e-mails saga so I wouldn't be surprise if they didn't want her back after all of this.

It's funny you're suggesting Hooper would be something new for the program when you think that a Pat Onstad coaching our MNT for example would be seen as an old boys network stuff...

Been thinking about this lately. I've been hearing 'trust,' 'like a family,' 'closest we've ever been,' etc for a year now. And it's been the worst year of Canadian women's soccer in almost a decade.

It's lame, it's old, and it's tired. It carried you a year but the cheque just bounced at the bank. It's not teen Summer camp. Nobody cares if it's happytown. It's about one thing and one thing only: performance. Liking or hating each other is irrelevent. What's important is professionals that can step on the field and suck it up for country and get it done on the field.

To Ed. What have I every done to you? Don't demean yourself by demeaning others. If you would read carefully you see that I said "sometimes great players don't make great coaches". The jury is still out on Hooper. Unlike others I am not assuming that she will necessarily make a great coach. Give her a chance when she gets her cerification and has actually coached at a high level. I think that you and others can only carry on a civil discussion if someone agrees with you. I was making a point and you can accept it or reject it as you please, but please no personal attacks.

Well the Ted Williams example is absolutely lame. I could add quite a few other soccer players to the list of excellent players who became very good coaches. Sorry about the tool remark, you got off pretty lightly.

Why is Ted Williams pretty lame? Check out the coaches in the English Premier level. For the most part they were good, not great players. Great players do not necessarily make great coaches because great players are often instinctive players who have a difficult time explaining what they do. I think there is a strong possiblilty that Hooper will be a fine coach. I would just like her to be hired on her experience as a coach and not on her ability as a player. Otherwise we would be guilty of the same mistake that the owner of the Washington Senators made when he assumed that Ted Williams would be a great coach. Anyone want to hire Barry Bonds to coach the Blue Jays?

Archived