The Game...spoilers inside....

Trillium

quote:Originally posted by NS Rooney

An A License doesn't make a great coach. Look at the bunch at the CSA now. If she doesn't have one, she'll just have to get it. It is my understanding that any player with senior caps automatically has a National B License. So she can start there.

To my knowledge former National Team members get a free pass to enter into the B PROVINCIAL course without having to go through the prerequisites, they do not get an automatic certification. Once they have completed the B Provincial they can go to B National and then A National. Unless there are some other loopholes that are not publicized, this is how it is done in BC.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I misquoted my unnamed source.

It was not 'TOO MUCH BRAZIL'.

The actual statement regarding this/these Calgary girl(s), now that I think about it, was:

'LOSE THE BRAZIL'.

To soccertaxi: So how long would it take to certify a former National Team Player? Don't you have to hold a license at one level for awhile before you go for the next level?

It's my observation that some people who post on this board think that the solution to the CSA problem and the National Teams is very simple.

I was reviewing the results of all of the matches so I can do my picks in our World Cup Pool and I just realized that Canada had the best record of the eight non-advancing teams (if you count goal difference as a tie breaker) and could be said to have finished 9th in the tourney -- which coincidently is our current ranking.

I am sure that along with Canada, the highly ranked teams from Sweden, Denmark and Japan all expected to advance. I wonder if there is a lot of finger pointing going on in those countries.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

To soccertaxi: So how long would it take to certify a former National Team Player? Don't you have to hold a license at one level for awhile before you go for the next level?

It's my observation that some people who post on this board think that the solution to the CSA problem and the National Teams is very simple.

Again, to my knowledge (there may be others better qualified to comment) it would take at least 2 years to get to National A. If you were to certify in BC, there doesn't seem to be any minimum time requirement between Provincial B and National B but these courses are not offered every week and you would have to be approved by BCSA before submitting your application to National B Course. Here is the BCSA criteria:

BCSA - B License Candidate Selection Policy

The British Columbia Soccer Association’s Technical Department and Coaching Committee has established the following selection criteria for forwarding coaches to the Canadian Soccer Association’s B License course.

Candidate Selection Policy

1. Coaches that hold positions of full-time employment/involvement in the game.

2. BCSA Player Development Staff Coaches, BCSA Provincial Team Coaches,BCSA Technical Department Contractors (coaches/instructors), District Development Centre Staff Coaches, Professional / National coaches or players.

3. Established playing or coaching history at a high level.

4. Current level of involvement in the game.

5. Result of B Provincial Practical Assessment

Then to get your A licence you have to take two ten day courses twelve months apart and complete a number of assignments, keep a coaching logbook etc...

Getting the A licence is not something that can be done quickly or easily. Perhaps some coaches who have achieved this certification can comment more accurately on the process.

I don't know the politics and perhaps there are ways to fast track but that would be the standard route in BC, even for former National Team members. Foreign coaches are assessed according to their foreign qualifications.

So does fifa require an A certification to be a coach of a national team? There can't be very many in Canada. Anybody have any idea of how many? I hear that guy from Chelsea Jose Mourinho is looking for work. We could give him a try. He might find it difficult to please the people who post on this site.

OK so Charmaine needs time to get an A License and realistically, she needs time and experience to be ready to coach the Senior Women BUT, the CSA should show her the respect she deserves and get her into the program at some level - maybe as assistant to a good international women's coach.

With the exception of Stephen Hart and maybe Bridge - I don't know his abilities - there is no one at the CSA capable of handling the assignment - A License or not.

The timing of the CSA letter yesterday was no fluke, that was a clear shot across the bow. That Pellerud's tenure is over is a given, all that's left is the class of the exit. He has two choices, walk away and keep the funds in the program, or hold on until he's bought out and take the program farther backwards.

Great game on right now. England looks better than I thought (except for the diving and working the ref) and the Americans are really off. Should be a good test of the mettle of Greg Ryan and Hope Powell at halftime.

England USA is a good match up. The USA are a better side but I am sure like Canada England will learn from the experience of China 2007. I am not sure about diving from England. Faye White got a elbow in the face and still kept on playing. England just alittle less talented then the USA and going for the ball no matter what and sometimes they do fall over. When the American player I forget which one called an England player for diving in the penalty box in the first half. England never called for a penalty.

Just finished watching both of this morning's games and the four teams certainly deserved to have advanced out of the group stage. Very good games to watch. German's might have been lucky early that Korea doesn't have a finisher. They were very effective in working the ball in close but no one wanted to be the one to shoot. The England vs US was like watching a men's game in the second half. After the US scored England threw everything into the attack but could't quite put it in the net. I don't think the Canadian team (with any coach) would have stood a chance against the four teams that played today. I doubt that none of our players would make the starting eleven for any of them. Sinclair might be close, but she lacks the speed to play at the pace of the games.

For those interested in the possession statistic: Both teams with the majority of the ball possession lost today. Korea had 55 - 45 percent edge on the US and the more balance second game was 52 - 48 for England.

If tomorrows two games are as good as today's I think I am booking off work for the semi-finals, or maybe just come in late.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Richard

No matter what her qualifications and previous history with the team, anybody who really thinks Charmaine Hooper is likely to be offered the WNT coaching job is smoking rope.

Thank you. I have to agree.

If hooper is offered the job of WNTC the CSA is in far graver a state than we could ever have imagined.

Let her coach for at least 10 years and see how she does.

So does fifa require an A certification to be a coach of a national team? There can't be very many in Canada. Anybody have any idea of how many? I hear that guy from Chelsea Jose Mourinho is looking for work. We could give him a try. He might find it difficult to please the people who post on this site.

Gee you seem to have a real issue with reading the truth of the state of the game in Canada...do you think Hooper lacks the requisite knowledge of the game ?

Is there some reason you dont like Hooper besides that she was dumped by Pelerud because she was a strong ...impowered woman who spoke out for her fellow players and the way the association treated them ...?

If you dont think Hooper is qualified with her background and experience.... who would you see replacing Pelerud ?

Guest speedmonk42

Yes, let's give up on the "Give Hooper a Chance" theme. Perhaps we can ship the whole team to North Korea for 9 months for a lesson in ball control. Then to Germany for 3 months for a lesson in finishing.

So you agree a good teacher....

;)

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Gee you seem to have a real issue with reading the truth of the state of the game in Canada...do you think Hooper lacks the requisite knowledge of the game ?

Is there some reason you dont like Hooper besides that she was dumped by Pelerud because she was a strong ...impowered woman who spoke out for her fellow players and the way the association treated them ...?

If you dont think Hooper is qualified with her background and experience.... who would you see replacing Pelerud ?

We don't like Hooper because she doesn't have 10-20 years of coaching experience every single one our national teams deserve.

quote:

For those interested in the possession statistic: Both teams with the majority of the ball possession lost today. Korea had 55 - 45 percent edge on the US and the more balance second game was 52 - 48 for England.

If tomorrows two games are as good as today's I think I am booking off work for the semi-finals, or maybe just come in late.

Interesting possession stats.. of course it appears as if the US over England ... with the goals

Abby WAMBACH (48')

Shannon BOXX (57')

Kristine LILLY (60') you have wonder if the US only had to sit back from the sixty minute mark for some 33 minutes to repel England.

The Korea vs Germany game is summed up ...by the Korean coach..

Kim Kwang-Min, Korea DPR coach

There were clearly significant physical differences between the teams and that made it very difficult for us. It's not a question of us being unlucky, I think it's just a reality that we are not as strong as the Germans. After we had the chance to equalise (through Ri Kum-Suk), the players' concentration dropped and we lost control of the game. But this has been a great experience for us. We came through a very tough group playing against USA, Sweden and Nigeria, and the players will be better for it.

We need leadership on and off the field. For a coach, I'm all for due process. And I'll have faith we find the right person to make sure we have it on the field.

Richard has been muddying Charmaine's name for years. Let's leave her alone. For someone who put in 25yrs for Canada, and most of it for peanuts and love of the game, she's taken enough insults for a lifetime.

quote:

We don't like Hooper because she doesn't have 10-20 years of coaching experience every single one our national teams deserve.

Englands coach ... Hope Powell played to 1996 then was names Englands youngest national coach in 1998, she was born in 66... so she is forty one...had less then two years experience as a coach ..today her team went out in the quarter finals of the World Cup...her program has clearly improved during her time in charge...lets see ...98 to 2007 eight or nine years...so she has grown and overshadowed Canadas Pelerud in terms of latest results ..and of course your only as good as your last outing ...so not such a bad result for Hope Powell OBE, UEFA Pro licence, she also runs the full nationalwomens program for England from U15 up ... seems pretty successful for not having 20 years or 10 years of experience before being named coach.

Seriously if Hooper is not ready to coach .. she is certainly ready to sit on a Womens National Coach Hiring ctte.. or do you think she lacks the right skill set ?

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Vic

We need leadership on and off the field. For a coach, I'm all for due process. And I'll have faith we find the right person to make sure we have it on the field.

Richard has been muddying Charmaine's name for years. Let's leave her alone. For someone who put in 25yrs for Canada, and most of it for peanuts and love of the game, she's taken enough insults for a lifetime.

Who is insulting her?

She is not qualified to be the coach of the Canadian Womens National Team.

She may turn out to be a great coach. I really hope she does.

Prove it somewhere else.

Yes, let's give up on the "Give Hooper a Chance" theme. Perhaps we can ship the whole team to North Korea for 9 months for a lesson in ball control. Then to Germany for 3 months for a lesson in finishing.

Now you know out the mouth of babes...thats the best suggestion on the board about the national team in a long time... North Korea for a residency program the players are on record of being for it ...costs are low apartments etc in North Korea are not a high cost to rent and the CSA lacks money... I am pretty sure the Canadian embassy can do some gifting of needed food stuffs ....like peanut butter etc.... The Alberta Beef Producers will donate towards the food packages...what else do we need to make it happen Terp ?

I might suggest one change sent them to the Maranahao for the finishing ...three months in the Amazon by the beaches to get the strikes right.

Its good your starting to think outside the box on how to improve our performance... good on ya as they say ...

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Englands coach ... Hope Powell played to 1996 then was names Englands youngest national coach in 1998, she was born in 66... so she is forty one...had less then two years experience as a coach ..today her team went out in the quarter finals of the World Cup...her program has clearly improved during her time in charge...lets see ...98 to 2007 eight or nine years...so she has grown and overshadowed Canadas Pelerud in terms of latest results ..and of course your only as good as your last outing ...so not such a bad result for Hope Powell OBE, UEFA Pro licence, she also runs the full nationalwomens program for England from U15 up ... seems pretty successful for not having 20 years or 10 years of experience before being named coach.

Seriously if Hooper is not ready to coach .. she is certainly ready to sit on a Womens National Coach Hiring ctte.. or do you think she lacks the right skill set ?

Why the odd desperation to prove her value by virture of what...? Has she done something none of us know about? This is an honest question.

She was a fantastic player. I hope she can contribute beyond that in the future in any way possible.

I hope she can develop into a great coach. Maybe that will take 3 years maybe it will take 20. I don't know, but I do know I dont' want that development to happen at the expense of another generation of girls in this country.

That I am not willing to risk, and it would be a risk becuase no one is pointing to a record of successfull coaching accomplishments.

Being a great player, a vocal advocate isn't enough. Unless, as I asked above I am honestly missing something.

Sometimes the best players do not make very good coaches. One case that comes to mind is Ted Williams, one of the greatest baseball players of all times was a bust as a coach with the Washington Senators. He found it difficult to explain what he seemed to be able to do naturally. One of the greatest coaches of all time in baseball was Walter Alston. He had exactly 2 at bats in the major league yet led the Dodgers to national league pennants and world series victories. I think Wayne Gretzky has it right when he stays in the front office and not behind the bench. Great players do NOT usually make great coaches.

I have nothing against Hooper. I wish that mess had never happened and that she would have had a legitimate chance to make this years team, but to turn the team over to her when she might (I say might) hold some animosity to the current players who did deny her a chance to return who make things worse. Let her get her A license, a few years coaching perhaps at a US College (how good is she at recruiting) and then bring her on as an assistant for a few years and see how it goes. There are no quick fixes.

Besides does she want to be under the control of the CSA and would they have to find employment for her husband too?

Archived