Jump to content

The Game...spoilers inside....


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you took away the first minute of this match and plunked me down without knowing the score, I'd say "my God, Canada is rubbish, it's only a matter of time before Australia thumps us".

I stand by it. Early on, Canada's playing sloppy football and giving up possession far too cheaply. It is a pretty good-looking match, honestly, but Canada's focus isn't where it should be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

If you took away the first minute of this match and plunked me down without knowing the score, I'd say "my God, Canada is rubbish, it's only a matter of time before Australia thumps us".

I stand by it. Early on, Canada's playing sloppy football and giving up possession far too cheaply. It is a pretty good-looking match, honestly, but Canada's focus isn't where it should be.

True.. we look heavy footed, not fast and lacking accuracy and crispness on the ball when we pass, there are flashes of something different but not enough... your right if the possesion stays the same Aus will begin getting a result.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Trillium

True.. we look heavy footed, not fast and lacking accuracy and crispness on the ball when we pass, there are flashes of something different but not enough... your right if the possesion stays the same Aus will begin getting a result.

No sooner do I say it than Lang gets a solid chance courtesy Tancredi (where have you been for the first two matches, baby? She's been flying).

Already, twenty minutes in, we've seen the best of Canada (solid back four, mostly forcing Australia to pass it around and occasional buildups through Sinclair and Lang) and the worst of Canada (kick it as hard as you can, pray). The best sign is that, particularly on the back end, the Australians seem a bit shaky. It might be a good idea for Australia to put Williams in at keeper just to relieve Barbieri, who has struggled mightily in all fields and who's now down and hurt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Australians can't seem to make up their mind whether they're playing offense or defense: Sarah Walsh seemed to be expecting the cross on her great break and didn't cut in to make her own chance. And yet the Matildas were sitting back with their fingers up their bums. There are enough mental lapses to go around early so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Were into it now ... lets see if we can strike back fast....

Devana makes a great run... they are dominating this game ...better control on the ball ..more good scoring chances...

Lang just stops and then whiffs the ball over the net...why did she not take on the defender ? fifty six minute..and we are looking ...highly pressured ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

And here we see what can happen if you play a style that has no interest (and therefore ability) in retaining possession. Instead of being able to kill off the game late by holding on to the ball, we let them tie it up. And to be honest, deservedly so. In fact a 2-2 scoreline flattered us.

You know, I feel sorry for the women, they gave it their all but you can't blame them for the crappy style that Pellerud has imposed on them. How many more of these tournaments will go by before we wake up & realize that it is not successful? No amount of money thrown at the program is going to fix that. The other countries that we used to be ahead of are now passing us by.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So where do we go from here...failed to get out of group play, failed to win against Australia and Norway, other countries in the world coming on ... a horrible Pan American games. If the same coach and players are kept around will we fail to qualify for Olympics in Concacaf qualifications ?

Pelerud has to be in difficulty now, name Bridge for the Olympic team qualifiers as head coach, remove Pelerud for the rest of his contract period, consider bringing in a female assistant coach.

Review all players and realize we cant continue on a slow tortured downward spiral...

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

And here we see what can happen if you play a style that has no interest (and therefore ability) in retaining possession. Instead of being able to kill off the game late by holding on to the ball, we let them tie it up. And to be honest, deservedly so. In fact a 2-2 scoreline flattered us.

You know, I feel sorry for the women, they gave it their all but you can't blame them for the crappy style that Pellerud has imposed on them. How many more of these tournaments will go by before we wake up & realize that it is not successful? No amount of money thrown at the program is going to fix that. The other countries that we used to be ahead of are now passing us by.

Exactly right... hopefully old Angus will report to the CSA blazers... and they will realize dumping Pelerud will assist them rather then ... hurt the CSA directors.

of course I will enjoy reading Peleruds explanations for this failure to win...and that is what he has been paid to do for the last eight years, he has failed to deliver.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel sorry that our girls lost in the last minutes. I guess Kara Lang's tear says everything

However, i think it's a fair result and Australia has better stats in all categories. It's time to put politics aside(I doubt they will do) and reflect upon the fact Australia,a soccer team 'ranked lower that us, has kicked us out so early in this tournament.

People still fooled by that semi-final appearance should wake up now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...