Canada down one spot in FIFA ranking

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Canada dropped a spot to 54th in the new FIFA ranking out today. The team is right behind Wales and in front of Hungary. We are third in Concacaf, behind Mexico and the US, in front of recent rival Costa Rica. All of the top teams in Concacaf lost ranking spots since the last ranking appeared. The biggest Concacaf riser was Cuba, up 20 spots.

Italy has taken over from Brazil as the top-ranked team.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=161

Great news to see Canada at third in Concacaf.

Just noticed something funny. This is only due to the Oceania qualifiers taking place but New Zealand are now 6th in its Confederation.

119 Fiji

121 Solomon Islands

124 New Caledonia

133 Vanuatu

147 Samoa

156 New Zealand

We drew two games & lost 18 points as a result, and if you thought that was bad, Costa Rica drew two games and lost 39 points as a result, so we are now ahead of them because we lost fewer points. Well, I imagine the points lost were from points earned years ago that no longer count, but it still seems like a stupid system.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

Speaking of New Zealand, i think that they have a chance of making it to the World Cup especially since they no longer have to play a South American team to do so. The depth in their squad with Ryan Nelsen, Simon Elliot or even TFC's Andrew Boyens is possibly enough to overcome the 5th ranked Asian Team.

cheers

Yeah for sure. I feel bad for the suckers that have to play that 5th South American team. Oh wait :(

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

We drew two games & lost 18 points as a result, and if you thought that was bad, Costa Rica drew two games and lost 39 points as a result, so we are now ahead of them because we lost fewer points. Well, I imagine the points lost were from points earned years ago that no longer count, but it still seems like a stupid system.

No, I think it actually captures things quite accurately. No seriously. Canada has more forward momentum than Costa Rica does right now, and I think that is reflected here.

Okay, the system is still as sensitive as a drunken 20 year old roid freak at a strip club, but at least we're THIRD in CONCACASS.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

Speaking of New Zealand, i think that they have a chance of making it to the World Cup especially since they no longer have to play a South American team to do so. The depth in their squad with Ryan Nelsen, Simon Elliot or even TFC's Andrew Boyens is possibly enough to overcome the 5th ranked Asian Team.

cheers

...possibly Australia, which would be interesting.

Archived